• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans to Pitch New Yu-Gi-Oh! at Licensing Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
to attract potential merchandise producers.

sorry to derail the 4kids hate but hey, I thought the purpose of the ZEXAL anime is for the promotion of Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG? So, why do they have to attract potential merchandise producers for ZEXAL when there's Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG in America (the only profitable merchandise that you can made off from Yu-Gi-Oh! Series)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Quote:
to attract potential merchandise producers.

sorry to derail the 4kids hate but hey, I thought the purpose of the ZEXAL anime is for the promotion of Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG? So, why do they have to attract potential merchandise producers for ZEXAL when there's Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG in America (the only profitable merchandise that you can made off from Yu-Gi-Oh! Series)

Oh no, no, think like Pokemon merchandise, from t-shirts to party paraphernalia to toys. Pokemon is not merely about the games.
mjc5436

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
with all due respect 4Kids needs to drop dead already! they are on their last leg Pokemon and YugiOh is the only thing thats keeping them afloat and with this court battle going on they still want to pitch this new YugiOh series im mean come on.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
mjc5436 wrote:
with all due respect 4Kids needs to drop dead already! they are on their last leg Pokemon and YugiOh is the only thing thats keeping them afloat and with this court battle going on they still want to pitch this new YugiOh series im mean come on.

They actually haven't had Pokemon for a number of years now.
A-Log

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
As long as I get to hear voice-overs from NYC, I'm ok. But I wouldn't be surprised if this would be their swan song.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling this could take a turn for the worse and wind up keeping Zexal out of the NA markets for a while.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Has 4kids yet to realize that EVERYONE hates them?

And can they do that? Seriously? They can say: "HEY! I'm using your show whether you like it or not! ..and I'm doing worse, I'm gonna SELL IT and not pay you."

...Isn't this new YuGiOh a different anime than the ones they had liscenced? I don't follow Yugioh, so I don't know...

Fill me in on how the licensing thing works guys; I just buy stuff so IDK how it works, haha.

I love 4kids, and hope they can retain/dub Zexal. They've done a stellar job with the YGO anime so far, and would like to see them continue.

And, if you actually read the post, they are not "selling the show", they are shopping around rights to the merchandise. i.e. Cards, toys, etc. If they were trying to sell the show itself, I'm sure they would've have already contacted Nelvana, and it would have already been done.

See this:
Quote:
4Kids plans to release Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal this fall along with a 500th-episode special event on Toonzai.

I did read the post, actually. And what would be the purpose of merchandising a show they don't have a licence for.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

And can they do that? Seriously? They can say: "HEY! I'm using your show whether you like it or not! ..and I'm doing worse, I'm gonna SELL IT and not pay you."

The judge ordered a stay, meaning status quo, i.e. what ever is in the current contract is in force. And in that status quo, apparently 4Kids has Zexal. 4Kids still has to pay NAS and TV Tokyo whatever fee is written on the contract, but that contract also gives 4Kids license to shop Zexal around. Treat it like nothing ever happened.

Now, depending on how the courts eventually resolve the quarrel, whether 4Kids could actually follow thru on whatever merchandise agreements they manage to deal at the Licensing Expo.

Would you sign contracts with someone who, in the past, hasn't paid you? That's why I'm wondering if they can go ahead and make the plans, as stated in the article, to release the show and merchandise before they even HAVE the rights to the show? I checked the encyclopedia here and this new YuGiOh is considered a different anime in the list; like a 2nd season with a different title... it has to be licensed separately, I assume...
...according to what I've read 4kids DOES NOT have the licence...thus why was going to be pitched at the next expo.

...Like how the Rurouni Kenshin movies and ova, and the TV series were originally licensed by different companies; the different seasons/series of YuGiOh could also be licensed by different companies.

That's why I was curious if anyone knows how the whole licencing thing works. I'm always just ecstatic when one of the things I want get brought over so IDK.

((and I hate trying to spell the word licensed... I misspell it every time I do, lol))
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, the speculation is 4kids has an all encompassing license, meaning anything Yugioh they get first dibs.
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

KKKKAAAHHHHHHNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doesn't give two $#!+& if some whiny otaku baby cries.

http://www.khaaan.com/
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Normally I'm not for people losing their jobs, but 4Kids just needs to lie in a ditch and die. They are an affront to anime in North America.

How many series did they gut or butcher?

How many times did they publicly thumb their noses at anime only to come crawling back to it?

Well even i admit not all of the anime they gutted.

At least they did pokemon right.

But one series Don't give them the BOTD , compared to the massive amount of anime series they ruined.

Not to mentioned giving anime dubs a bad name.

SO I definitely agree with you . For all of our sakes, they need to go and fast before they ruin another yugioh series. I hope those people from the expo rejects this sad and desperate attempt to keep the license and THEY ARE DEFINITELY DESPERATE IF THEY WERE WILLING TO FILE FOR CHAPTER 11 JUST TO KEEP THE LICENSE FOR THE SERIES.

They should definitely die a swift death,and to be honestly I for one will be glad cause 4 crap along with Corus Ent's sister company are the worst licensors PERIOD!!!

MrHatandClogs wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

...Isn't this new YuGiOh a different anime than the ones they had liscenced? I don't follow Yugioh, so I don't know...

Fill me in on how the licensing thing works guys; I just buy stuff so IDK how it works, haha.

I love 4kids, and hope they can retain/dub Zexal. They've done a stellar job with the YGO anime so far, and would like to see them continue.

And, if you actually read the post, they are not "selling the show", they are shopping around rights to the merchandise. i.e. Cards, toys, etc. If they were trying to sell the show itself, I'm sure they would've have already contacted Nelvana, and it would have already been done.

YOU WISH. That senario is the worst case senario for every since anime otaku in the US. Especially those that are waiting for the series to be finally shown how it was meant to be shown

Also it is the license of the series if you read the beginning of this lawsuit news. Konami have the license to the merchandise especially the TCG. I know cause I still play the TCG right now.

However there is one thing i definitely know for certain , there is NO WAY and I mean no way in hell that the franchise is gonna be in Nelvana's hands at all.

That's a diaster in the making if it ever happens.

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing how anything 4kids-related can bring out all the crazy irrationality in people.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
4kids chopping up anime I shock shock just kidding the anime joins a long list of butched books and movies distributed here for at one hundred and fifthy years at lest. Have you notice lately Yu-Gi-Oh-D5 is being stream on the 4kids the show is is black box the picture is smaller than the tv screen what gives oh well our entertament and information has always been in hands of ignorance is strength crowd anyway. Mad
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
It's amazing how anything 4kids-related can bring out all the crazy irrationality in people.

Look at their track record. Of course people are gonna act crazy, it's because it's been over two decades worth of:

* "It's my way or the highway" mentality by KKKKAAAAAHHHHNNNNN!!!
* "Doughnuts" and "Sub Sandwich Photoshop."
* Edits that make no frelling sense at all.
* Rearrangement of episodes to the point it makes no frelling sense.
* The "token" nod to otaku had questionable results.
* The "One Piece Rap."
* What Merchandise?
* Allegations of misdeeds behind the scenes.

Instead of embracing Otaku with their disposable income, 4Kids dug themselves a deep enough hole that when they need income the most, they can't exactly cross that bridge and take advantage of it because they long ago burnt it. If their main purpose was to make money, telling a certain segment that "Your money is not welcomed" isn't good business sense.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
How ca they do that, since a judge ordered them not to?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4