• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wii U Cannot Play Standard DVD, Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matriel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

So something like this maybe?:

Quote:
The POWER5+ is an improved iteration of the POWER5 introduced in 4 October 2005. Improvements initially were lower power consumption, due to the newer process it was fabricated in. The POWER5+ chip uses a 90 nm fabrication process. This resulted in the die size decrease from 389mm2 to 243mm2.

Clock frequency was not increased at launch and remained between at 1.5 to 1.9 GHz. On 14 February 2006, new versions raised the clock frequency to 2.2 GHz and then to 2.3 GHz in 25 July 2006.

The POWER5+ was packaged in the same packages as previous POWER5 microprocessors, but was also available in a quad chip module (QCM) containing two POWER5+ dies and two L3 cache dies, one for each POWER5+ die. These QCM chips ran at a clock frequency of between 1.5 to 1.8 GHz.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER5

Or maybe something similar to the Power 6?:
Quote:
POWER6 was described at the International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) in February 2006, and additional details were added at the Microprocessor Forum in October 2006[1] and at the next ISSCC in February 2007. It was formally announced on May 21, 2007.[2] It was released on June 8, 2007 at speeds of 3.5, 4.2 and 4.7 GHz[2], but the company has noted prototypes have reached 6 GHz.[3] POWER6 reached first silicon in the middle of 2005[4], and was bumped to 5.0 GHz in May 2008 with the introduction P595.[5]

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER6

List of/About IBM Power:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER

Maybe? Just possibly a hint of what they're using since they are so hush-hush about the specifications?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I question how much increased cost there would be in enabling DVD playback, given that complete standalone DVD players can be purchased for less than $35 at retail. In fact, I checked just now and found Wal-Mart actually shows one available in stores for only $24.

That said, the point about people already having players (at least for DVD) is valid.

Then why not just buy one of those crappy players if you need a DVD player now?
Goodluck with a Viore.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Matriel wrote:
Quote:
CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

So something like this maybe?:

Quote:
The POWER5+ is an improved iteration of the POWER5 introduced in 4 October 2005. Improvements initially were lower power consumption, due to the newer process it was fabricated in. The POWER5+ chip uses a 90 nm fabrication process. This resulted in the die size decrease from 389mm2 to 243mm2.

Clock frequency was not increased at launch and remained between at 1.5 to 1.9 GHz. On 14 February 2006, new versions raised the clock frequency to 2.2 GHz and then to 2.3 GHz in 25 July 2006.

The POWER5+ was packaged in the same packages as previous POWER5 microprocessors, but was also available in a quad chip module (QCM) containing two POWER5+ dies and two L3 cache dies, one for each POWER5+ die. These QCM chips ran at a clock frequency of between 1.5 to 1.8 GHz.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER5

Or maybe something similar to the Power 6?:
Quote:
POWER6 was described at the International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) in February 2006, and additional details were added at the Microprocessor Forum in October 2006[1] and at the next ISSCC in February 2007. It was formally announced on May 21, 2007.[2] It was released on June 8, 2007 at speeds of 3.5, 4.2 and 4.7 GHz[2], but the company has noted prototypes have reached 6 GHz.[3] POWER6 reached first silicon in the middle of 2005[4], and was bumped to 5.0 GHz in May 2008 with the introduction P595.[5]

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER6

List of/About IBM Power:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER

Maybe? Just possibly a hint of what they're using since they are so hush-hush about the specifications?
The Wii U's actaul specs are listed as followed:

CPU: IBM Power PC POWER6 3.5 GHZ clock speed, 4 L3 Chache cores with total GFLOP preformance of 87.9 single precision and 175 double precision.

GPU: AMD Radeon R7 Radeon 4730 R770CE with Shader Model 4.1.(ala SEGA's RingEdge arcade board)

Internal Memory: 512MB XDR2 DRAM Main Memory 16MB eDRAM

Media: Stardard Blu Ray 50GBs.

Storage: Expanded Storage SDHC.

So in other words, Wii U uses a 2006 CPU and a 2008 GPU, so I guess that means its not so cutting edge after all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Consoles are always a few years behind PCs though. This is nothing new.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Consoles are always a few years behind PCs though. This is nothing new.
Not nessasarily.

Xbox 360 uses a 2004 CPU.

PS3 uses a high powered 2005 HPC.

This is no excuse.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
Disc based media is dead in the long run anyway, the Wii U will allow you to download all the movies you might want. Downloadable media is the future.

LOL no Nextflix has a tiny fraction of available titles, and that decreases over time in Canada. As well, thanks to bandwith caps being a major blow, physical media will stay around longer.

Also, I think you guys are missing a huge point. The gimmick for this system is the screen in the controller. Wouldn't it be swell, to say be able to take that movie you're watching, and put it on that controller without having to do take out the disc so that someone else can watch the TV while you finish your movie? Sure you'd be limited to your own room, but that's a situation I find myself in regularly where I'd watch a movie running long and it interferes with someone else's TV shows.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of lame because I was hoping to sell my BD Player to help fund this. I also guess I have to get some kind of HDMI splitter since my three ports are already being used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He added that he thinks people who would need to play DVDs and Blu-ray Discs would already have players.

Yes, they're called a PS3 and an Xbox360 - both of which I bought ahead of the wii when given the choice for their multi-media capability - aka computer streaming/netflix/disc playing/music library. The PS3 and Xbox360 pretty much made every other alternate thing you can buy for your entertainment system obsolete. I don't even need cable/satellite anymore.

I'm a college student and I don't have tons of room for additional crap around my TV - plus it just means more crap to move around when my lease goes after 12 months.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is no excuse.

There's normal, then there are exceptions to the rule. The level technology level included in the Wii U is concurrent with the norm established by Nintendo and gaming in general.

The GC used a 400mhz CPU when the PC tech age was onto Pentium based 1ghz CPUs.
The Wii used a single core CPU when Intel was pumping out Core 2s.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
This is no excuse.

I can't believe people are still hung up on console specs. It's like watching them brag about 0-60mph times while completely ignoring the posted 30mph speed limit sign.

Most games don't even come close to a console's potential, and for good reason. Not only will this drive up heat (which reduces life spans of chips), but it's unnecessary when most people aren't looking for games to push the limit.

As a long time gamer, I've never heard people state "Dude, did you check out Halo 3? That game taxed my CPU at 99% and flopped the GPU because the graphics are the bomb, yo! Oh, and the RAM was exceptionally used so that the load times were kept to a bare minimum. I should also point out the wired controller worked like clockwork with the console's 133MHz bus. Bitchin'!"

But hey, any port in a storm.

As for the news, I'm thankful Nintendo isn't going to put a BD player into the console, given this is the worst disk technology to ever be sold to consumers.

Personally, none of these consoles should include disk media players.

Talk about outdated technology.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
And people thought the Wii was a gamble--this is just lunacy. I'm sorry, Nintendo, but it sounds like I need the Wii U even less than I need the Wii (which is not at all).

You're showing me less than no reasons why I should want to buy your system, regardless of my owning an iPad 2 and a PS3. So unless it cures cancer or prints money...

The motion control boom is dead. Put it away so you can dust it off again in 10 years and "invent" motion gaming, again.

What's next?! Paper and Pencil?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
If I want to play DVDs, I have my laptop or my parents' DVD player to use. If I want to play Blu-Ray disks for any random reason, my brother eventually plans to set up his computer to play them. If I want to play video games, I'll play my DS or my Wii.

I don't need another system to that can do something that I already have readily available and very likely pay more for it when I won't even use that function. Seems like a waste to me, so honestly pretty happy that they don't plan on adding the DVD/Blu-Ray capability to the new system.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I understand why they did that. But Wii U's game playing at HD is nice enough for me, it probably would've been more expensive to put a player in there. I'm sorry to future Wii U owners that wanted that console to playback DVDs, and Blu Rays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
CannedJam wrote:
As stated earlier: This isn't cool. Especially for a student moving out who would love an all-in-one console...

You never should have considered a Nintendo system as an "All-in-one" console anyway. Sony and Microsoft are the ones that do the full media systems, not Nintendo
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting the Wii U to be able to play DVD's or BluRay's anyway, so it's a non-issue in my decision to purchase one or not. (I probably won't get a Wii U unless Nintendo releases a "serious" first-party racing game with licensed automobiles and not videogame characters on gokarts.)

DonQuigleone wrote:
Disc based media is dead in the long run anyway, the Wii U will allow you to download all the movies you might want. Downloadable media is the future.

Disk-based media will continue to live on so long as there are enough people like me who are only interested in owning games, movies, TV series, and music on a physical format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4