• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy to Air on Toonami Before it Airs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
Meh. Confused So this puts the final nail in the coffin for me for this show. (Just in case there was anyone left out there still wondering...) I still will definitely NOT be watching. The rest of ya: enjoy the effing heck outta your tiresome misogynistic fantasies!!! Laughing

You determined that the show is misogynistic on the basis of what? That it has a Hooters-esque restaurant? No one knows how the show even plans to address that.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Japan has shorter commercial breaks so they have no choice in having to cut SOMETHING to fit American commercials.

I see a choice there... just not one where I expect Toonami to make the decision I'd like. I guess it'll be the online stream for me, to make sure I'm seeing the whole thing.

Quote:
If you want to see where anime actually got cut to fit on tv, you should've seen how much SyFy cut from anime to fit in 4 commercial breaks per show.

Oh, I have. That's where I first watched Noein.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Which is why I'm largely baffled by the weirdly negative way this is being received on this thread. I mean good god guys, can you not just enjoy great news like this for once in your lives without finding something to nitpick? Watanabe has a good track record with his shows, it's airing in a great timeslot, and people have been dying for toonami to expand since its relaunch.

I know it is Watanabe, and he has an excellent track record. But what if the silly looking Space Dandy flops. I am not so sure trying to do Cowboy Bebop 2.0 is a good idea. Funimation is taking a big gamble by financing a dub (they are not cheap by the way) for a show that we do not know if it will be well received.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
Which is why I'm largely baffled by the weirdly negative way this is being received on this thread. I mean good god guys, can you not just enjoy great news like this for once in your lives without finding something to nitpick? Watanabe has a good track record with his shows, it's airing in a great timeslot, and people have been dying for toonami to expand since its relaunch.

I know it is Watanabe, and he has an excellent track record. But what if the silly looking Space Dandy flops. I am not so sure trying to do Cowboy Bebop 2.0 is a good idea. Funimation is taking a big gamble by financing a dub (they are not cheap by the way) for a show that we do not know if it will be well received.

I doubt this flopping would break the company or be anything more than a hard lesson learned. They dub basically everything they've ever put out and not everything they put out has been a success. How is this any different?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I doubt this flopping would break the company or be anything more than a hard lesson learned. They dub basically everything they've ever put out and not everything they put out has been a success. How is this any different?

I agree that if Space Dandy flops Funimation will not go bankrupt. But this is different because, unless I am not remembering correctly, Funimation has never dubbed a show as it aired. They usually announce a home video release and dub after the anime finishes airing.

Do not give me wrong. This is a cool and interesting idea, but to me it seems a bit risky.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Do not give me wrong. This is a cool and interesting idea, but to me it seems a bit risky.

Not to me, and I'll tell you why:

1. Step one: put "from the creators of Cowboy Bebop" on the cover when Space Dandy hits home video. Step two: Profit. Step three: there is no step three.
2. Come on, this is Watanabe. It won't suck. This is as smart a prelicense as can ever exist.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Oraculo wrote:
Meh. Confused So this puts the final nail in the coffin for me for this show. (Just in case there was anyone left out there still wondering...) I still will definitely NOT be watching. The rest of ya: enjoy the effing heck outta your tiresome misogynistic fantasies!!! Laughing

You determined that the show is misogynistic on the basis of what? That it has a Hooters-esque restaurant? No one knows how the show even plans to address that.

Doesn't even matter really. If it 'really' bothers him that much, we should feel sorry for him, because there isn't much that he can watch.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
This is not airing in Canada even though Funi’s press release says “North America Broadcast”. But I’m sure it’s just the people in the states forgetting once again they aren’t “North America”. Thats just embarrassing funimation

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2464
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
1. Step one: put "from the creators of Cowboy Bebop" on the cover when Space Dandy hits home video. Step two: Profit. Step three: there is no step three.
2. Come on, this is Watanabe. It won't suck. This is as smart a prelicense as can ever exist.

Hell, you might as well make the "Cowboy Bebop" of that line the biggest words, front and center on the cover, while "Space Dandy" is smaller and near the bottom.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:

Can I ask what anime you do watch?
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
This is not airing in Canada even though Funi’s press release says “North America Broadcast”. But I’m sure it’s just the people in the states forgetting once again they aren’t “North America”. Thats just embarrassing funimation

It's easy to forget that the US isn't in North America.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

It's easy to forget that the US isn't in North America.
It's very easy to forget that the US isn't alone on the North American continent.

Don't feel too bad: if we let Canada into our exclusive club then we'd have to let Mexico in. Next the Caribbean islands and Central America would want in, and then some extremists would sue for inclusion of South America by claiming that it is a "subcontinent" of North America... Let's not get that snowball rolling lol.

The art for this continues to disappoint. I expected something more realistic, as Champloo and Bebop were. Instead I'm getting what looks like Panty and Stocking crossed with Redline might look like.
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:

If the English-dubbed version comes out before the Japanese-dubbed version, it's a fair bit hypocritical to call the latter "the original version." Unless it turns out we are skipping straight into a gab-dub, in which case pass the fire.

The "original" is the version recorded under Watanabe's supervision, so unless he's flying to Texas and directing the American VAs personally, the Japanese track trumps the English regardless of which premieres first.

"See you Space Weeaboo".
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
This is the best news I've gotten all week. I haven't been this excited for an anime in a good while. I was for GITS: Arise, but that was just a big diappointment. I am literally calling tomorrow to get my cable hooked up again. This and Game Of Thrones return, and the Saul Goodman Breaking Bad spinoff are the only reason and it'll be worth it.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
It's very easy to forget that the US isn't alone on the North American continent.

Don't feel too bad: if we let Canada into our exclusive club then we'd have to let Mexico in. Next the Caribbean islands and Central America would want in, and then some extremists would sue for inclusion of South America by claiming that it is a "subcontinent" of North America... Let's not get that snowball rolling lol.

Now this is just silly. At least Canada has some ground to stand on, since they are "north of America," duh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5