• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Has 300 Million Copies in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hospodar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:
Oda must be one rich son of a bitch. Im glad though he deserves it the man is probably one of the best story tellers around.

I recall Naoko Takeuchi driving her Lamborghini when her Sailor Moon exploded all around the world - and that was 2 decades ago.

Probably not the best example. She comes from a rich family and was already driving expensive cars before becoming a pro mangaka, as I understand.

Naoko Takeuchi had to go to school Kyoritsu University of Pharmacy to become a pharmacist just in case her manga dream doesn't pan out, and worked as a miko (like Rei) at a nearby shrine while a student. Not that rich.

She comes from one of the wealthiest families in Japan. She is a true living breathing Ojou sama. So yes she is very rich and was long before she had a successful Manga.

And to stay on topic. Once One Piece finishes in 14 years or so I doubt there will ever be a Manga made which will sell more or have more volumes printed then One Piece.
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
@Hospodar:
I am intersted in this info, where did you get it?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Are these numbers international or japan only?

Japan only.

Which makes it even more mind-blowing.

Yeah, I mean its not as popular outside japan for some unknown reason but it still does well enough. I've not prioritised it or bleach in my manga buying because im not afraid of the books vanishing any time soon but i still have 40 volumes of it on my shelf.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Japan only.

Which makes it even more mind-blowing.

Yeah, I mean its not as popular outside japan for some unknown reason but it still does well enough.
Well it's not that weird considering i din't even like it when i saw some random episodes on German TV way back in like 2008.
It took going to be begging and just going along with while not even knowing how big it was in Japan kinda, and after a while i thought hey this is actually really good.

The thing is the reason that i don't got it at first must have been the same as many other people had it's kinda cartoonish and crazy and i thought what's up with that weird talking animal and now he's my favourite character.
But if you look at it since the last 5 to 3 years it has gotten up there outside of Japan and with Naruto and bleach ending i can see it only growing more in some European country's it kinda already is the most popular Anime/Manga out there.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
@Hospodar:

Japanese sources, I assume. I've heard what I've heard from a Japanese person on another forum.
Apparently it's one of those facts that aren't so well known among English speakers, but is common knowledge for Japanese people.
English sources usually don't even mention the fact that she comes from a family of jewelry dealers.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
perroloco wrote:
@Hospodar:

Japanese sources, I assume. I've heard what I've heard from a Japanese person on another forum.
Apparently it's one of those facts that aren't so well known among English speakers, but is common knowledge for Japanese people.
English sources usually don't even mention the fact that she comes from a family of jewelry dealers.

So we just added another reason for why Togashi doesn't work :O Razz

On Topic:
This makes One Piece being the 3rd best selling book series in the world! With the same number of sales as Perry Mason with 82 books and Goosebumps with 62 books + spin off series(how much they are I don't know, but probably more than 10). So One Piece as less books, but the same sales as them Smile.

Now it needs 150 Million more sales to surpass the second place, Harry Potter(If One Piece keeps selling like this in 38 volumes, 8 years it catches it).
And after that, 403 Million more to catch "Maigret" the best selling book series reported to this day.
Maigret lasted 41 years with 75 books and 28 short stories! Let see if One Piece is able to surpass this giant!
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="bigivel"]
Somewhere wrote:

On Topic:
This makes One Piece being the 3rd best selling book series in the world! With the same number of sales as Perry Mason with 82 books and Goosebumps with 62 books + spin off series(how much they are I don't know, but probably more than 10). So One Piece as less books, but the same sales as them Smile.

Now it needs 150 Million more sales to surpass the second place, Harry Potter(If One Piece keeps selling like this in 38 volumes, 8 years it catches it).
And after that, 403 Million more to catch "Maigret" the best selling book series reported to this day.
Maigret lasted 41 years with 75 books and 28 short stories! Let see if One Piece is able to surpass this giant!
Don't forget that this comparison isn't even fair to begin with considering this are only Japan sales which makes it even more amazing.
Would be kinda crazy if OP some day actually reaches the first spot with Japan sales vs the world maybe you could already add another 25-50 milion with OP sales from the rest of the world.

The only thing being the day OP reaches the first spot it will have the most volumes out of all best sellers out there so then it woudn't even be considerd that weird anymore.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
perroloco wrote:
@Hospodar:

On Topic:

There's also Asterix which was at 325 million sold back in 2009 (with 34 volumes only). ^^
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
perroloco wrote:
@Hospodar:

Ah, telephone game. Smile

Kutsu wrote:
bigivel wrote:

On Topic:

There's also Asterix which was at 325 million sold back in 2009 (with 34 volumes only). ^^

Harry Potter did it all with 7. Smile
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
perroloco wrote:
@Hospodar:

Ah, telephone game. Smile

Kutsu wrote:
bigivel wrote:

On Topic:

Harry Potter did it all with 7. Smile

Yep, HP is mighty impressive.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you check Japanese wikipedia, it'll mention her family being jewelers. And I'd figure that if you're willing to trust English wikipedia in the first place, then the Japanese version is fair game.

Beyond that... the guy I heard it from is trustworthy in my experience. Sure, it's a game of he says she says. But at the same time, relying on English sources to have complete information on biographical details of possible heirs and heiresses outside of the English speaking sphere is inherently a not exactly trustworthy proposition.
In other words, sure, feel free to doubt secondhand information. I doubt the completeness of English sources on stuff outside of the western world anyway.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
i just updated wikipedia. OP is now under List of best-selling book series, at least 100 million copies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books#At_least_100_million_copies
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

Well, if you check Japanese wikipedia, it'll mention her family being jewelers. And I'd figure that if you're willing to trust English wikipedia in the first place, then the Japanese version is fair game.

As long as it has citations, that's fine. Wiki is just an initial place to get those important sources to get started. Being jewelers is a wide range of assets, after all.
Ginsan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Sometimes when you look at that these numbers and your mind boggles at that level of popularity, how many people are buying it, and you think, "Can a series really be that good with that many fans?"

And then you remember actually reading it, and you realize, yes, yes it can.

Indeed, as someone who reads/watches many other different types of series as well I often forget why I keep up with one piece, but then I just re-watch of the older episodes or read the latest chapter and automatically remember. Very Happy

People can call One Piece overrated as much as they want, but by damn it it must be worth SOMETHING if so many different people are fans of it.

I remember debating with someone on MAL in this regard, he said that One Piece is just average, with below average characters, below average story telling and subjectively bad art. I brought up the topic of top selling manga, and he told me that top selling doesn't guarantee it's quality, and I told him it sold 3 times greater than the 2nd place, selling 4mil copies per volume, and he went out and insults the 4mil people that are buying OP manga in Japan, now you see how ridiculously rude he is? He even called me an idiot, not once, but many times, I was wondering how did his parents raised him. That typemoon fanboy, went out as far as to wank at everything typemoon related, and step on every other non-typemoon works. He holds his own opinion higher than the 4mil people who bought OP manga, sigh.. Typical selfish human. /rant over.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Ginsan wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Sometimes when you look at that these numbers and your mind boggles at that level of popularity, how many people are buying it, and you think, "Can a series really be that good with that many fans?"

And then you remember actually reading it, and you realize, yes, yes it can.

Indeed, as someone who reads/watches many other different types of series as well I often forget why I keep up with one piece, but then I just re-watch of the older episodes or read the latest chapter and automatically remember. Very Happy

People can call One Piece overrated as much as they want, but by damn it it must be worth SOMETHING if so many different people are fans of it.

I remember debating with someone on MAL in this regard, he said that One Piece is just average, with below average characters, below average story telling and subjectively bad art. I brought up the topic of top selling manga, and he told me that top selling doesn't guarantee it's quality, and I told him it sold 3 times greater than the 2nd place, selling 4mil copies per volume, and he went out and insults the 4mil people that are buying OP manga in Japan, now you see how ridiculously rude he is?

Hey, people complain about Avatar even though it's almost $600 billion more than 2nd place and almost twice the B.O. gross of 3rd place. All those people can't be idiots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3