• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maka Voice Actress Omigawa Confirms Soul Eater Not! Anime Adaptation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'll watch it for Chiaki, she's always needed more lead roles since Hanasaku Iroha ended.

In Soul Eater Not, she's not a lead role. She's a rarely-appearing side role.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Why not Soul Eater? ... because it's easier to do this in thirteen episodes of a SoL offshoot than do the twenty plus episodes, plus a redo, of the multihero flagship series? No risk, little additional creative work necessary {tailor made for Bones} but it can still bank on the original series for name recognition {Yeah, Not!? You not fooling anyone with that one...}. It's a win for everyone ... except fans of the original series.

I think you got that wrong

The soul eater anime only sold 4.1k discs on average, and the manga has already ended. Meanwhile, the NOT manga is still ongoing. It just seems that animating NOT is way more profitable since it can be done to promote the NOT manga.

Why animate something that will most likley not even be profitable?

Last edited by Rederoin on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, this should be interesting to say the least...
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater Not! Is a prequel, people. Jeezus, seems most people here don't even bother trying to find out what it is about.
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'll watch it for Chiaki, she's always needed more lead roles since Hanasaku Iroha ended.

In Soul Eater Not, she's not a lead role. She's a rarely-appearing side role.

I'd call it a cameo role, but yes. Because of this I find it odd that she's the one confirming this.

In case other people don't want to bother doing the research, Soul Eater Not is a prequel spinoff of Soul Eater focusing on relatively unimportant kouhai of Maka and the others. Specifically, the non-combat class of weapons and users who don't go soul hunting. So it's more of a slice-of-life series focusing on a new student dealing with moving into a dorm in a foreign country, etc.

That's not to say that it completely ignores the setting though. There are a lot of cameos from existing characters (who are collectively the senpai of the spinoff cast), and before it went on hiatus it was building up to a plotline involving spoiler[Medusa's younger sister] who had only been briefly mentioned in the main series. So there might be some action, just not most of the time.

it's sort of like To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, I guess, except it doesn't even star a secondary character.

Last edited by Clarste on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Very pleasing. Continuation of the anime of the main series, especially with the end of the manga on its way?

Not! I mean, it's not that, it's not Soul Eater, it's Soul Eater Not! Soul Eater's been over for awhile and now we're on Not!

Oh I realise that, it was a half asked rhetorical question stating I would like to see the brain series continued now the manga is reaching it's conclusion.

But I am very pleased to see an adaptation of an Soul Eater material, including NOT! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
What about the teachers, though? Is Stein is this, or do they write him out by saying he only teaches combatants or something?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater NOT occupies an interesting spot in the world of Soul Eater. It is initially a prequel, but as it continues, the main series starts, so events in the main series overlap with some events in NOT. Which allows for an interesting dichotomy, and if people wanted to watch the two at the same time, they could..

In my opinion, Soul Eater has always been a mix of Naruto, Harry Potter, and Tim Burton. So if the main series focuses more on the Naruto side of the universe, then NOT is more on the Harry Potter side of the universe. It contains a lot of world building that didn't really happen in the main series due to the plot. NOT explains how people get accepted into the DWMA, and what their lives are like in a way that the main series never does.

Plus, as mentioned above, spoiler[there is a chance for some action, considering that there is a villain introduced.]
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What about the teachers, though? Is Stein is this, or do they write him out by saying he only teaches combatants or something?

It's a prequel so Stein wasn't teaching yet. Remember that Maka and Black Star didn't know him at first? He wasn't part of the faculty at the time.

Sid appears regularly as a living person though, and Medusa is still the school nurse.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, darn. Well Sid as a human sounds interesting.

How stupid was Death to hire Medusa to begin with? Laughing
Bolaum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Cool so it's confirmed now.

I wonder why it took all this time (assuming the "new version of a familiar title" was indeed Soul Eater) to make a short anime.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I've really been enjoying what I was able to read of this series in Yen Plus.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I knew this was getting an anime
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Cool.

Zhou-BR wrote:
I guess this is what Toshihiro Kawamoto was talking about when he said Bones was producing a "new version of a familiar title" last year.

Yeah, looks like it.
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Yup, lets not finish adapting the manga lets animate it's moe spin off. Oh joy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3