• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TadashiED

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Horrendous in my opinion. There's too much going on, as oppose to the old layout where it definitely was more compact and easier on the eyes. Much simpler. Sometimes simple is better Razz
Jamhustler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Don't like it I'm on my phone trying to see what's going on and it's making this so complicated
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Okey doke-

As someone who has been working with this system since around 6 months ago AND working on the Admin system with it, I admit... I wasn't a fan either. I was confused by the sudden change, and I constantly changed it back to the old layout.

However, I felt that after a month or so, I actually PREFERRED the new layout! I switched my link to ANN with the Beta link. I could see things more visually, and it actually WASN'T CLUTTERED. You just had to get used to it! Getting used to stuff isn't actually a bad thing- and it doesn't take that long. I can now see if my post on an article has been replied to by just looking at the article box on the front page instead of having to open up every single page I posted on to see if I've got replies, or just to see the response to an article.

It definitely still has bumps, and problems to resolve. Please politely let ANN know. ANN is definitely listening!
No need to abandon ship. We are working very, very hard to give you quality content, same as usual. :3
Urizithar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't like that a lot of users are talking about geting used to it. Yeah, people can get used to preatty much everything but what's the point in getting used to something bad. I know it's probably not so bad as it seems now but still. If you change something it should be better and/or easier to use. I can't grasp why lately so many sites are making something opposite. After some 'tuning' forum is back to where it was but the site... I'm thinking about looking around for new one with M&A news. Rather sad. Sad
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Getting used to stuff isn't actually a bad thing- and it doesn't take that long.

Telling users to get used to a horrible design is what I call a cop out.

Most of the issues being thrown out were discussed before, while the site was in beta.

Seems research won out over user feedback.

Hope it was worth it.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've figured it out (and switched to the list+images and Haibane Renmei skin), I think this layout is a lot easier to navigate than the old one^^ I do think there are some aesthetic layout details that could be worked out (some parts do look rather cluttered and I would like some sort of border that could better separate the columns from the news items), but in terms of navigation, I think this is an improvement. In particular, I was playing around with the new version of My Anime and IMO it's a lot easier to work with than the old version.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of the new layout for the homepage since none of the layout options let me view more than 4 or 5 pieces of news without having to scroll down. Also, I would really like to have the option to keep the images in the sidebar while still being able to remove them from the central panel (those were always useful to me with the old design).

I don't see myself ever using the "Around The Web" part of the new designs for articles, so it does bum me out to lose the ability to reach the "discuss this in the forum" button just from pressing End of Page Down.

All that being said, I must say that I'm really pleased with the progress made with the My Anime 2 module. It obviously still needs some fine tuning but I love where this is heading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Echoing the majority's sentiments, I don't like the new layout. It's garbage.

I don't want to read every article on this site, but yet I'm forced to look at them for far longer than I want to with this new layout since it takes so long to scroll down to stories that actually interest me. I don't care about the new moe anime. I don't care about voice actors joining projects or whatever manga or movie is selling how much right now. But with each article getting a picture on the front page now, it takes longer to scroll through those to get through things that interest me.

Honestly, I'd like to revert back to 4.0, or whatever layout was being used yesterday. Much easier to use.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I just want the old layout back.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Getting used to stuff isn't actually a bad thing- and it doesn't take that long.

Telling users to get used to a horrible design is what I call a cop out.

Most of the issues being thrown out were discussed before, while the site was in beta.

Seems research won out over user feedback.

Hope it was worth it.

I don't think you understand what I mean.
Getting used to it... It's not a cop-out. It's something every single human has to do when something changes. Almost every human will feel some kind of negative feeling when something they've known for a long period of time changes. After those negative feelings settle, you can look at the new changed product without bias of hating change.

It's not a "horrible design"- It's just different.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
After those negative feelings settle, you can look at the new changed product without bias of hating change.

Or, condescension aside, a lot of the complaints about the new layout are 100% justified.

If someone prefers being able to scan down through dozens of articles in 30-60 seconds, looking only for the articles that interests him and her, clearly that was much easier with the old design. This new layout is cluttered, and the color sheming is grating on many readers' eyes. Even comparing the list without-images layout with the old one, by just about any design standard, most would agree that the former's styling and color scheming was superior.

I'm back on my regular 4:3 laptop now, and admittedly the bloated image grid layout is a bit more manageable when it's forced down into a two-column layout (the articles, and the feature columns). It's still nowhere near as good as the old layout. On my 16:9 laptop? I've said this before and I'll repeat it here: if I were a new user to ANN and I saw that grid layout in 16:9, I would probably never be inclined to return.

"People hate change." Yeah? And people also hate shitty products. I think most of the feedback so far has been pretty valid in terms of what people don't like, and for the most part "getting used to it" doesn't fix the legitimate concerns addressed.

Last edited by Spoofer on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
it's not perfect but there's one big improvement and that's that you can see pictures accompanying the articles, which makes it much easier to browse through them and not miss one
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Sigh I dont like it and its going to slow me old pc down
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Stuck on my iPad so can't take survey till I see this on a PC screen. But I would like an option that would give us a list with no pics for news and pics for the column that was the articles
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
After those negative feelings settle, you can look at the new changed product without bias of hating change.

Or, condescension aside, a lot of the complaints about the new layout are 100% justified.

I'm not being condescending- I was in exactly the same boat when the beta started!
I'm just saying to keep positive, and that ANN IS listening. There are lots of things that they're working on behind the scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11