• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Lol this was hard for me to watch but in a good way. Reminds me of the traumatizing experience I had in high school when I had to ride with my sisters who listened to nothing but High School Musical...........(shivers). Crying or Very sad
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
80s montage and singing, wonderful. Although the music was painful, but who cares. 80s montage and singing. I'm getting all nostalgic.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[HEAVE 234 HEAVE 234 HEAVE 234 HEAVE 234 HEAVE 234]. I swear, that catchphrase is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the week.

It was an alright episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well that was hands down my favorite episode of Space Dandy so far. It was just pure enjoyment from beginning to end with fishing.

spoiler[And no mention of boobies once this episode!] Kinda refreshing.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:

Nope. You just missed it. Dandy talked about it when he was introduced to the class.

The music was cheesy, but I loved this episode.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
This episode was written, storyboarded, directed and animated by one person Kiyotaka Oshiyama ( and I think even inbetweens ). I was not familiar with his name before, but judging by this episode he is very talented person. His drawings seem like a hybrid of cartoony and surreal designs. I loved how the first half of the episode introduced this magical world with it's unique rules, without any words. I would say that Oshiyama's qualities as a a director lie mostly in low key moments, which were present in first half, but the second half was this spoiler[ big action scene.And I felt rather disappointed that the episode went in that overused direction.] I understand that you want to showcase your animation, but you can find other non-boring solutions. Also, as an animator Oshiyama seems very versatile, his animation ranges from expressive character acting to FX animation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

Might be just me, but I found this episode to be super Ghibli like, I would probably say it looked very much like it was inspired by such works. That guy, Kiyotaka Oshiyama, apparently did key Animation in Arrietty, so he has a past connection to Ghibli. Kiyotaka Oshiyama fairly large connection to Dennou Coil, and that he did Key Animation of Space Dandy Episode 9 (the plant episode) also might have some say about his ability.

As a thought about character progression, we had fishing again which is something QT became a big fan of in season one, and Dandy seems to be much better with kids than early on, maybe something to do with the various kids he has run into.

As for next episode, can't tell much but it seems to have more of a focus on Honey and Scarlet, who really have been underused despite apparently being major characters.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
First things first, this episode is REEEEEEEEE-AL 'purty. The aesthetics and general setting reminded me of one of those old-timey Japanese woodblock prints of the sea. I also really liked the "sea of mud" idea they had going there. Really creative idea.

And you know, this episode really does showcase the biggest strengths of Space Dandy. This episode looked really freaking good, as I mentioned above, but it was also really good science fiction. Sure, QT and Meow weren't in it as much as I wanted them to, but that's kind of nit-picky. (It was certainly better than last season's fifth episode.) Overall, while I personally didn't like this one as much as the previous entries for this season, I did enjoy the overwhelming creativity and love put into this.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I also felt that this episode had a fairly Ghibli feel to it. There were some very nice visual moments, and I like how they brought back QT's love of fishing, like how a previous episode brought back Dandy's surfing.

I see Scarlet and Honey in the next episode preview...other than her debut appearance, I don't think we've seen Scarlet outside of the Alien Registration Bureau, and I don't think we've seen Honey outside of Boobies other than when she was randomly in that race last season, so I'm interested in seeing them...wherever they're supposed to be in the preview.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
WitchWatcher wrote:

^ you forgot the reference to spoiler[the fly]

Oh yeah, I made a note of it and forgot to mention it. I also thought the episode was a bit Footloose like as well, although I have not actually seen either of the movies before, at least in whole, or at least some movie that involved dancing.

And Glee (even Meow made a Glee pun).

And of course, the rich kid high school is based on the early 90's Beverly Hills 90210 which was quite popular on its day and started that whole high school drama thing that made everyone remember Beverly Hills' zip code.

But didn't ya guys think that it's a grown man asking high school girls out for the prom and talking about high school booty? Laughing

(And for mentioning anime geeks on the lowest caste.)

gsilver wrote:
sakuragtin wrote:

Well that was hands down my favorite episode of Space Dandy so far. It was just pure enjoyment from beginning to end with fishing.

Nope. You just missed it. Dandy talked about it when he was introduced to the class.

Call me Ishmael in fishing class?

Though one can feel like an Old Man in the Sea that it's refreshing that an anime episode doesn't have to rely on the usual fanservice tropes to get its ratings.

Fishing is getting big sport in the Americas, now what with national BassMaster Tournaments.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6:

Well that was amusing, especially with the spoiler[background laughter. So it turned out that Honey and that other guy are half-siblings huh? How interesting. I wonder if Dandy will get an award or something for all his efforts.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
So, how about that Vic Mignogna, huh?

Patrick Seitz @Seitz_Unseen · 37m
Dandy's love-ramblings are all things I've actually heard @iantweeting say in real life. TRUE FACTS! #SpaceDandy

Patrick Seitz @Seitz_Unseen · 36m
Also, @vicmignogna travels around in a pink cloud in real life, just like his Cloudian counterpart. TRUE FACTS! #SpaceDandy

Patrick Seitz @Seitz_Unseen · 25m
Somewhere, one of Vic's Rangers is getting that love-monologue tattooed on her leg... ;) #SpaceDandy

Alexis Tipton @AlexisTiptonVA · 23m
Dr. Gel+Honey= OTP? This'll generate some weird fanart....#SpaceDandy

Patrick Seitz @Seitz_Unseen · 17m
Cloudian - Cloud = Ian

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS! @iantweeting IS A CLOUDIAN! O.o #SpaceDandy

Patrick Seitz @Seitz_Unseen · 11m
I think Scarlet's drunken muttering of "Whatever it is, a *man* did it!" was my favorite line of the episode--@ccarrollbeard nailed it! :D
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
This episode was bad, the dualism by which Nobumoto usually operates existed purely as a gimmick and it was reaqlly pointless . The way the two stories met was also pretty lazy and the ideas that were presented never really went anywhere. The direction and most of the animation felt impersonal, which is quite strange for DAndy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

While I am not really a fan of the whole canned laughs thing, the episode did have things that I had been waiting for for ages. That Scarlet being a major part, which here seemed to be like she was in some sort of Sex in the City Space sort of thing. And also Honey having a big part too, it had been spoiler[hinted that there was more to her than her appearance, it was good to see that there was a revelation of her being half alien]. Actually with the mention that spoiler[Cloudians focus on sad people who seem to need it], I do wonder if it has something to do with Honey spoiler[seeming rather fond Dandy].

For some reason I also felt that there was a little bit out of character of a few characters, Meow seemed to make even more jokes than usual, Honey was more devious, and Scarlet was missing a lot of her dignity. I will say that seeing Scarlet vulnerable, and Honey being interesting/awesome were good highlights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 24