• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What genres of anime do you like? Why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Moe (understood as anything with cute girls, can be applied to wildly different settings (Sora no Woto) rather than the canonical definition of a high school setting with the teacher figure and the students as the protagonists like Azumanga Daioh).

Best single genre EVER. Anything is better if it is done in moe.

Second place? Don't know, I particularly don't like giant robots even though I have several mecha titles among my favorites but that's not because of the mecha. Overall, looking at my ratings one probably couldn't find any regularity besides the fact that if it has cute girls it's up a notch in my ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Romantic comedy, because I am a sucker for love and being able to laugh. As well as fantasy elements to make things interesting, whether it is fights or just some magic. And probably a bit of psychological as I like seeing character totally break down.

It is like often my favourite moments when someone's love is hurt so the character goes nuts and does a magic fight, especially if the beat down is funny.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Shoujo, magical girl, and romance because the world needs more "power of love".

Jose Cruz wrote:

Moe (understood as anything with cute girls, can be applied to wildly different settings (Sora no Woto) rather than the canonical definition of a high school setting with the teacher figure and the students as the protagonists like Azumanga Daioh).

Best single genre EVER. Anything is better if it is done in moe.

Shoujo and moe are not really genres. Shoujo is a demography that refers to a story that are targeted for girls, and the term is just too broad to be consider a common genre. As for moe it was a term that refers to someones feelings/emotions. Plus with that definition it would have trouble fitting in as a common genre since cute girls can be seen in any genre/story (like it just doesn't stand out).

That said I use to have read a lot of shoujo manga when I was in high school. This was when a anthology called Shojo Beat was being publish by Viz. I enjoy that magazine and the stories/articles it featured. Sadly Viz stopped publishing Shojo Beat one day. I still read manga that is targeted to girls, but not as often as I did back in high school. I just have been occupy with other books and things in general.

As for moe I do like seeing cute girls though personally I don' refer to them as moe. In fact I'm actually attracted to anyone/anything that is cute, and it's been that way for as long as I remember from the time I like to look at Lisa Frank's and Sam Butcher's art work and Polly Pocket (back when she was younger) to today when I like seeing artwork from artist like Ken Akamatsu and photography of cute animals. But anyway I took a look at your anime/manga list and it is vary. It's just like with my case in which even though I have certain genres that I like I tend to watch (and to a less extent read) stories that are label as genres I don't consider my favorite. For me what matter is if they are good enough to be fun/ entertaining for me to enjoy. It's a bonus if a story either has a plot or characters I can relate too or admire.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I'm completely serious!

We have been often made aware of that.

Is this something that said often? Well I do agree with Chiibi. In fact recently I learn that most people don't have a true understanding of what love is, so it's something to look into. I have read a book called "friendfluence" by Carlin Flora that has made me realize how special one kind of love is which is a love of a friend. You should give it a read if you are interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Shoujo and moe are not really genres. Shoujo is a demography that refers to a story that are targeted for girls, and the term is just too broad to be consider a common genre. As for moe it was a term that refers to someones feelings/emotions. Plus with that definition it would have trouble fitting in as a common genre since cute girls can be seen in any genre/story (like it just doesn't stand out).

So, slice of life is my favorite genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
My favorite is probably comedy, i've always just loved comedy..... i mean who doesnt like to laugh? im kind of a goofball myself and tend to use comedy all the time even when i probably shouldnt lol.

Second would either be psychological or slice of life, i just love a good mind f*^&k of a show that will have you thinking of it at work or while trying to sleep. As for slice of life i like the relaxing tone and getting to know the characters, as well as the comedy usually associated with it.

My least favorite is probably romance, i admit sometimes i root for the guy to get the girl or vice versa, but generally id rather not have it in the show. I'm so tired of the almost mandatory love interest in everything and when i see romance in the discription it just makes it harder for me to want to give it a try. I loved Bakuman but i honestly would have prefered it not have that whole marriage promise part, and before you argue it was a big part of the show i think it would have been easy to do the show without it.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I like a little bit of everything, I guess. It's easier to name the genres that I'm not into, like sports, anything involving incest (I'm surprised that there isn't a specific word the the numerous brother-sister incest shows out there), and most things shoujo.
Leprochaun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I've liked and disliked anime from every genre that exists. I've found that the animes I've most enjoyed are the ones that have incorporated elements of many genres. Though I'm sure that's the case for most people.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I like the dramatic/suggestive head-tilt anime with sub-second segues into flash boards with 30 words on them interspersed with highly inappropriate loli fan service all in good clean fun among the rapier 11 minute dialogs.

That's a genre isn't it? spoiler[Monogatari and company.]
rydia251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Western-style fantasy and space-based or cyberpunk-style sci-fi. They light up my imagination and are as escapist as it gets. My love for these two genres dates back to when I was like 3ish, the days of Star Wars and Conan (Schwarzenegger Conan).
Tsubasasan11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I like Martial Arts, Romance, Comedy, and Urban Fantasy, especially if they are all tied in together in one series like Ranma 1/2, and the reason should be obvious. Martial Arts is just awesome, comedy is a favorite by everyone who has a sense of humor, romance makes the characters believable and adds a tough of reality and relation to an anime, and I just love Urban Fantasy and folklore from Japan as a personal preference.

I also love magical girl animes and love watching the transformation sequences that are in them. One of my favorite animes, go figure, is Sailor Moon!
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I like science fiction in general and cyberpunk in particular. The latter I enjoy because it combines high tech and low life, to paraphrase William Gibson's definition. Gritty urban noir scenarios set against nighttime depictions of futuristic cityscapes fuel my imagination and stir my soul.

I also enjoy some fantasy or adventure stories that have dramatic or romantic elements. Anything that moves me emotionally as well as visually is right up my alley. Madlax would be a perfect example of a type of show that I like.
Kientom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm a new member of this forum. Please take care of me from now on. Thank you.

Here goes my first post.
I started actively watching anime more than a year ago. And most of the series I have watched fall under the category of comedy, romance and slice of life. While watching anime I like to stopped most of my brain functions and either let the sweetness wash over me with an idiotic grin on my face all the time or laugh silly laughter until my side hurts. These are the things I look for in this medium. I want light-hearted entertainment so most of the time I stayed away from series with sci-fi or fantasy elements if possible. I'm not particular interested in fighting, robot, mobile suits and super powers either. Even if a series I choose to watch has those elements, I generally don't pay much attention to them. Instead I like to see character development and how they interact with each other from a pure dramatic point of view. I think not many people out there enjoy anime the way I do.

That is not to say I can't handle serious series with more typical anime theme. I have watched a few and thoroughly enjoy them including: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins Gate, To Aru Kagaku No Railgun (I haven't watched the parent series though) and Kill la Kill.

I know I'm still a newbie and there are a lot great shows out there I haven't watched but I don't think I will change my preference anytime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2