• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Worst) of 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Awww! The Tea Club girls from Golden Time didn't make the cut for a year-end award! Sad Oh well...

UGH!

Yeah, I had a special award in mind for them for several weeks, but they completely slipped my mind when it came time to write everything up. They really should have been there.

Ya sure you can't retroactively add in the coveted "Girls Who Blood- Would Most Like to Party With" Award? Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
No discussion about anime in 2013 is complete without mentioning Samurai Flamenco. There surely should have been two awards for it. One award for Biggest Ever WTF Scene, the other award for Most Complete Trainwreck In Anime History.

I doubt anyone could watch the first seven episodes (with no knowledge of what was coming) and not have their jaw slam through the foundations of their house or apartment building.
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I am still watching Samurai Flamenco (episode 12 finally came out). While the show took a seemingly inexplicable U-turn in it's plot, it still intrigues me and I wonder where the hell this could all be headed to.
Doughboy88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
When the writers figure out where SF is going they might be able to let you know...
Hastati

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry to dig up this thread three months later, but I just had to say something about the very brief discussion of hikkikomori in Outbreak Company.

While I was pleasantly surprised by Outbreak Company as an anime, I don't agree with the assessment of its portrayal of hikkikomori, as I think it is a mistake to call "hikkikomori" either a "lifestyle" or "pathetic." The word lifestyle implies "choice," which leads you to believe that they are "pathetic" for making this choice. I have only recently started working at a rehabilitation school for hikkikomori, but have come to the conclusion that the term itself (along with the oft associated word "lifestyle") is fundamentally broken in its ignorant categorization of a very large and varied group of abused and largely ignored people.

I think this common, generalized view of the socially withdrawn in Japan is harmful in the ways that it sidesteps significant problems in the mental health care system and the acceptance of individual idiosyncrasies. Most of the students that I have met have been physically or verbally hurt by their parents, acquaintances, perhaps even teachers, and have withdrawn through fear of the world itself. They do not do it because they are lazy, or because they are cowards, but because they think it is the only way they can survive.

Many of them have mental health problems, including ADD, ADHD, Autism, OCD, Tourette's, significantly reduced mental capacity, or physical problems that have led to ostracization in (and by) school. It is not their fault that they have these problems, but there is no time or room for alternate shapes that can't be shoved into the mold in the Japanese education system.

I understand that this does not apply to all "hikkikomori" in Japan, whoever they may be (as this term seems to be ever-expansive), but please, take a moment to consider the difficulties that people with disorders, disfigurement, or just abusive parents may face in Japan before accepting the labels that bind them to a "pathetic" and "lazy" existence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10