• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 11

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Who else could it be?

Well, um, initially I thought this was Spoor and her CoS. Luckily I managed to recall the scene enough in my mind to realise that both characters were male, and then I remembered the twins.

Galap wrote:
like those twins. I forget their names

LOL. You mean the same twins who were the subject of the last quote and whose names I gave in my answer?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
To me the biggest distraction in Crest/Banner was them spending literally hours over the course of the series talking about that god damn cat. I really wish that thing didn't exist.

Sounds like "dog person" prejudice to me; Diaho was cute and a great conversation-starter!

Really have no idea on the current quote, even though I feel like I should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
LOL. You mean the same twins who were the subject of the last quote and whose names I gave in my answer?

LOL, guess I REALLY didn't remember.

Key wrote:
Sounds like "dog person" prejudice to me; Diaho was cute and a great conversation-starter!

Really have no idea on the current quote, even though I feel like I should

Ehh I'm not really a fan of dogs either. I guess it's neither cat nor dog person prejudice idk.

And if my assessment of your tastes is right, I do think it's reasonably likely that you'd have seen the source of this, Key.

Repost of quote for new page:

"Her emotions were as numerous as the jobs she accepted. There were times when she took satisfaction in her work, and times when she did not."

Hint 1: spoiler[The jobs she does are widely varied, but many of them require the use of her sword.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, duh! spoiler[This is the narrator talking about Honoka in The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye, in the first episode, I think.]

Gods, I should have placed that right away. It's on my short list of favorite series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is Key. I figured that this would be a show that you'd like a lot Very Happy. I'm only a quarter through myself, but I'm really liking it so far. That line was the first thing to clue me in that this could be something really great.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, if if I was put on the spot to name the best female protagonist I've ever encountered in anime, spoiler[Honoka] would probably be the first one to come to mind. Very rare to see a character who is as equally good as solving conflicts via empathy as she is through supreme bad-assery, has such a good emotional range, and can openly relish poetry without it seeming like an affectation. If you're only a quarter through the series so far, you'll be happy to know that the writing remains strong throughout (though the artistic quality slips dramatically in a couple of episodes).

Next quote, from the dub:

Character A: "Wait! you're not going to fight in that, are you?"
Character B: "Never fear! This underwear is made of a special fabric. It's extra-durable!"
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[Characters A and B both readily admit that it is literally part of their roles in life to give each other grief, even though they are working together in this instance.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Hint #2: spoiler[Characters A and B are commonly mistaken for being a quarreling couple, although in a rarity for anime, they actually really aren't. (Character A actually has other legitimate reasons for always having character B on her mind.)]
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Maou speaking to Emilia in the Devil is a Part Timer. I believe this was because Maou did not want his work issued clothes to get damaged in a battle.]
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
^ I thought it was that series, but I had no idea about the placement.

And yeah Key, spoiler[The Third has a real unique mood and tone, and I'm really liking the complexity of the setting and Honoka's character so far.]

Last edited by Galap on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
I am not sure about the spoiler[Maou and Emilia aren't a couple part.]
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
spoiler[Maou speaking to Emilia in the Devil is a Part Timer. I believe this was because Maou did not want his work issued clothes to get damaged in a battle.]

While I could nitpick this (you technically didn't ID which was A and which was B and spoiler[Maou did lose his undershirt from it being destroyed in battle rather than taking it off], it's close enough and no one offered up a more precise answer before I wrote this.

Was tough choosing just one quote from this series, as there were a lot of great lines. Have a feeling it might pop again sometime.

And I disagree on spoiler[Maou and Emilia being a couple. I think the series does a pretty good job of establishing that a) Maou is romantically clueless and b) there's just too much of a distance between them for too many reasons. The dynamic between them is sharp enough, though, that shipping them together is quite natural; I've even seen doujinshi of them together.]
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
dub
And one more thing. The X who's inside me wants you to know something: "More than anything, I wanted to be your daughter."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
you technically didn't ID which was A and which was B

That doesn't matter, as he identified who was speaking the bolded line.

Current one is spoiler[Marie relaying Soma's feelings to Sergei as they part ways in Gundam 00.]
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That doesn't matter, as he identified who was speaking the bolded line.

And people have absolutely gotten utterly anal about this before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 101