• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blue Submarine No.6 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wasn't aware that this is the edited version, so I guess I've never seen the original. What got changed in the audio? Foul language edited out, maybe?

If I recall correctly lines like "Kill them!" got changed to stuff like "Finish them!". Other lines got changed and tamped down some, but I can't remember if there was cursing though.

Its kind of a nostalgia buy for me and I'd love to see how it looks on BD, but I vaguely remember Zorndyke's reasoning at the end to be confusing and contradictory? So, I'm not sure how badly I want it. Also I'm not sure I'd want it with the edited version. I'll have to think on it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
That's useful.

Quote:
9. Hayami's exchange with Zorndyke clipped for time.
27. Numerous scenes with Zorndyke shortened for time.
Well that might explain some of the problems I had with Zorndyke when I saw this.

Quote:
15. Yuri's "son of a bitch" changed to "blasted traitor".
Well, there's some of Key's cursing.

I wonder if this was a complete list or if there was more cuts and changes?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The edits on this Blu-ray are ENTIRELY audio-related. There are no visual edits, and episode 4 has the unedited audio. The only differences are some lines in eps 1-3 have been replaced by the censored Cartoon Network equivalents. It's fairly minor, really.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Discotek says that they will be releasing an online-exclusive DVD containing the unedited dub sometime next year (they said that here: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?19332-Discotek-Media-licenses-Blue-Submarine-No-6/page11 ). That release will contain the same video as their current DVD (not Blu-ray) with the Japanese version w/English subs as well.
I didn't know this was out on BD now... I might have to pick it up. Does it really look that bad? I used to have a DVD copy but it was a casualty of lending and I never got around to replacing it. Maybe I should just wait for this DVD they mention coming out some time in the near future.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
The video looks decent on the Blu-ray, although it's an upscaled version of a digital SD production (ALA Fooly Cooly, Shakugan no Shana), so keep that in mind. Some think the DVD actually looks better. It's still remastered, but it's not upscaled, so no blurry lines.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The video looks decent on the Blu-ray, although it's an upscaled version of a digital SD production (ALA Fooly Cooly, Shakugan no Shana), so keep that in mind. Some think the DVD actually looks better. It's still remastered, but it's not upscaled, so no blurry lines.

Between this thread and the one in the Retail forum there seemed to be some conflicting implications with regards to the Toonami lines, but this BD is not edited besides some of the English dub dialog, right (as in, a few lines reworded, but no dialog or footage outright cut)?

BS6 is mostly a dark-toned show, anyway, at least from what I remember, so I doubt a bit of upscale blur will bother me too much.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Between this thread and the one in the Retail forum there seemed to be some conflicting implications with regards to the Toonami lines, but this BD is not edited besides some of the English dub dialog, right (as in, a few lines reworded, but no dialog or footage outright cut)?

I do not have it myself but from what I have read other places, including posts from a Discotek rep in another forum, the audio is edited but not cut. The edited dub was made to match the complete video before Toonami did any cutting.
The original video and edited dub are uncut on the Blu-ray.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Could very well buy it just for the sexy Range Murata awesomeness on the cover.

Sexy Murata awesomeness eh? ;p

Blue Sub may be the smeariest BD I have in my collection. Back in my early import days I payed $100 for this from CD Japan shortly after the release and it is amazing that you can now have basically the same thing for less than $20. This OVA is a milestone in Japanese animation. Is the English track LPCM just like the JP box? I think this may be the only English LPCM I've ever heard. All this hoohah about the audio has me itchin' to watch it again...whats up with Kino stepping on that needle in the first episode? Hayami may have had some drug issues (kinda wish they would go into more of this in the medium)
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Is the English track LPCM just like the JP box?

Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Is the English track LPCM just like the JP box?

Yes.

Hey thanks I'm definitely supporting this.
noigeL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...but the compromise is that the original 4:3 aspect ratio is maintained, hence resulting in left and right-hand borders in HD displays.

This is very much a good thing.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series almost exclusively uses a jazz-driven score, even for its action scenes, in an effect not too dissimilar from Cowboy Bebop.

Except Bebop's score wasn't all Jazz. In fact it had a lot of blues and pop/rock and other styles of music. And the music was integrated with the visuals/story, so when you hear certain songs, you know exactly what scene they came from. And there are moments without music as well.

Blue Sub 6 had a nice sound sound track, but it was all samey-sounding Jazz that played regardless of what was on screen.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if a English translation of Satoru Ozawa manga that was the base for the OVA available. And does bare the same title as the anime. And is there a possibility of a anime reboot that might go deeper into the story just asking. I will keep a eye out for this I did like the series. Very Happy
rydia251

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Not normally into loli stuff, but that JP box cover that luffypirate85 posted made me pitch a rather large tent. Think I need to buy the domestic release, and download the JP cover... Then maybe actually watch it...

On a related note, just got Part 1 of Thong Adventure Cobra in the mail. Absolutely love the box, but almost filed it in the hentai section due to pure instinct. Shawn K deserves a hand for approving that cover.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2