• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Bugnin wrote:
That was never what this thread was about, aside from the title. This is basically just another thread to bash/defend whatever series you like/hate using the main character as a vehicle.

Well the OP started the thread with:

Animeking1108 wrote:
We all have that character everybody loves, but you don't understand their appeal.

And it was naive to think this thread would stay on point for more than 5 minutes. I'm not saying the thread wasn't made with good intentions.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
it was doing well before SAO got brought up. maybe that's one show that shouldn't be talked about
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
SAO has two threads made up of well over 300 pages. It has the most fanatical fans on this planet. Of course it is going to work its way into every discussion and be debated heavily as its devoted disciples rise up to defend its honor.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Laughing @ Zapdos. I think TV Tropes should delete whatever text it has in its Gary Stu entry and simply repost your montage.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing @ Zapdos. I think TV Tropes should delete whatever text it has in its Gary Stu entry and simply repost your montage.

Second this. However I think it would not be hard to come up with 50 more screen caps from the series with similar quotes about Tatsuya. Seriously 50. Probably more.

It really is stunning when you think of it and how that anime ranks so high in nearly every poll and every review.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Any chance the show is doing a parody of the Gary Stu trope?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
seemed like it was, many times
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
So much for the Gary Stu montage. *sigh*
Zapdos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So much for the Gary Stu montage. *sigh*

LOL! I'm not sure why the montage got deleted but no problem. I actually got the montage here in this blog.

Quote:
The first point it fails at, and the main point that drags down the entire show, is the main character.

http://thecartdriver.com/mahouka-is-terrible-on-every-level-a-final-review/
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
SAO has two threads made up of well over 300 pages. It has the most fanatical fans on this planet. Of course it is going to work its way into every discussion and be debated heavily as its devoted disciples rise up to defend its honor.

It seems like it also has some of the most fanatical detractors on the planet, and they rise up to attack the show at every opportunity.
I am neither a fan nor a detractor. I have never even seen the show.

As for the topic of the thread, I cannot think of any.
There definitely are popular characters that I do not like, but I have never had any trouble understanding why others might like them.
I have certainly never felt that the fans were wrong to like the characters.

I think that "overrated" is another term that should be avoided.

Last edited by Touma on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Zapdos wrote:

That is a flipping awesome review. It is even more awesome than Tatsuya, if that is possible.

Which it probably is not. Tatsuya is too awesome to be considered in a thread about overrated characters. If anything he is totally underrated. No matter what limits you might imagine he can achieve he can actually go far far beyond that.

P.S. I added your blog to my blog list.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
how many times have you said awesome now when taking about Mahouka?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Zapdos wrote:

That is a flipping awesome review. It is even more awesome than Tatsuya, if that is possible.

Which it probably is not. Tatsuya is too awesome to be considered in a thread about overrated characters. If anything he is totally underrated. No matter what limits you might imagine he can achieve he can actually go far far beyond that.

I think the review leaves out the fact that his sister essentially holds the power to "unlock" Tatsuya's powers, though you'd have a hard time figuring that out because he's still dominant even before she takes his leash off.

The rant about equality was definitely shoehorned in to fit his narrative about the character being horrible. It wasn't exactly hard to understand and yet the reviewer still presents it in the most twisted light possible.

The reviewer also seems to have a hard time differentiating between "technobabble" and "words I'm having trouble understanding."

The funny thing is, I agree with the overall opinion of the review. Tatsuya's complete and total infallibility soured me on an otherwise decent show, and the villains were generic cutouts and hopelessly over-matched. That does not excuse the bitter and venomous tone of the review itself, nor the dishonest presentation of the dialogue as an excuse to ramp up the snark.

I don't disagree that Mahouka was poorly executed, but this was anything but a good review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10