• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Week Friends (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
[The manga and anime are spoiler[more or less the same, with the only real difference being that things are slightly out of order in the anime. Actually, a few of the cute moments in the series were much cuter in the manga].

While the show went a bit beyond where the manga scanlations are at, from what I hear the manga has spoiler[Hase bringing Kujo up to speed and helping him and Kaori become friends again. But as he sees Kujo and Kaori get along so well he starts feeling like a 3rd wheel.]
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Reading the ending comment, can I safely assume the ending isn't spoiler["and she get cured because miracle!"?]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
spoiler[She didn't get cured, period.]
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Reading the ending comment, can I safely assume the ending isn't spoiler["and she get cured because miracle!"?]

Though it doesn't take anything away from the ending, I thought it was mature for it's genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alberto7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked this anime quite a lot. More than most people, it seems. I guess it just sort of hit home for me in a way that it didn't for others. Episodes 9-11 were, albeit expectedly, a bit tense for my liking, and portrayed a different tone that I didn't want this particular series to indulge in for too long. Thankfully, episode 12 managed to alleviate that pain while giving it a very worthwhile ending; spoiler[perhaps not the romantic ending I was, and most others were, secretly and not-so-secretly hoping for,] but certainly a very fitting ending spoiler[for the whole theme of the show.] Even though the ending spoiler[was kind of open,] it still felt like it gave proper closure to the story and the characters. Perhaps spoiler[the manga will continue on with it,] but, for what it was, I am satisfied.

Numerically, I'm still undecided where to place my rating between an 8 and an 8.5 out of ten. I guess I'll have a clearer image once I get over it. It felt safe rating it as Excellent on the Encyclopedia though.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It's hard for me to fairly criticise this, since it is very clear to me that I picked it up due to its initial acclaim, and that it is otherwise not my forte.

It kept my attention week-to-week, enough that I ended up looking forward to it more than Brynhildr in the Darkness (my other choice this season, not counting No Game No Life, which is by far superior to both in general terms, and to which I was introduced by my girlfriend much later), as time went on. I guess I feel that there is nothing really the matter with One Week Friends, other than the fact that there is...nothing really the matter with it. It's cute, it's uncomplicated, and it's fairly straightforward, but it also feels very formulaic, as slice-of-life friendship-themed anime goes.

Fujimiya's memory impairment adds some tension and conflict to what would otherwise be an exercise in generic mediocrity, but that very realisation leads me to draw structural comparisons to shows like last season's Nagi no Asukara, a series I called decent. Both rely on a single defining element to differentiate themselves and sell. For Nagi no Asukara, it was its divine, nautical themes. For One Week Friends, it is the oddly-specific nature of Fujimiya's condition.

Fujimiya herself likely takes top spot as best character, starting off rather pessimistic and withdrawn, but proving very quickly that such a state is not really natural for her, regardless of how long she's been in it. Hase's difficulties with approaching her memory problems notwithstanding, it doesn't take him long to climb her icy wall to witness the surprisingly composed, yet very sweet and caring person that she is. On top of that, she smiles when it makes sense for her to smile, and cries when it makes sense for her to cry. She embodies no unsightly extreme or excess, and for that alone, I can get behind her.

Hase, on the other hand, thoroughly annoyed me on more than one occasion. He does not strike me as unrealistic for an adolescent, but his tendency towards being as loud as he possibly can whenever faced with but an inkling of a potential dark cloud really grated on my nerves after a while. I can see why someone like Fujimiya might find someone like him cute, but if I were her, I would have told him (sweetly, of course) that it's okay: the issue of how to ask me out for crepes is not a crisis equivalent in magnitude to the sky falling down. Had he any redeeming intellectual quality to speak of, I might have received him more warmly. Instead, Shogo had to step in repeatedly to do the rational thinking.
...I don't know; maybe I just really don't like male leads who feel the need to be loud when expressing their emotions for no reason. They just come across as stupid to me.

In spite of that, the show was actually well-constructed for what it was, and used its characters well, even if they fit predictable archetypes (the series' expressive, SaiKano-like art helps it in this endeavor most effectively). It went at a very comfortable pace, neither too fast, nor too slow, and unlike Nagi no Asukara, it accomplished what it needed to accomplish in a single cour without feeling as if it lacked for anything or gave us too much. Moreover, the fact that its central romance was not consummated did not feel dissatisfying because the series never treated said romance with anything more than intimation. Considering the circumstances, it still feels like it'd be too early for a relationship to kick off, which is fine, since the show is themed around enduring friendship--not necessarily romance. That in mind, the series can sit comfortably with its theme sold and purpose realised, with the prospect of a sequel season being reasonable, but by no means compulsory.

I rate it above Nagi no Asukara, as good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14