• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim, Cartoon Network Are #1 in Quarterly Rankings for Key Demographics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Ron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
still hate Dandy, and I still think the real lack of competition is what's driving these numbers

not saying that you’re right, but you’re certainly not wrong…
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought people would be happier that Toonami is doing well. Instead, everyone seems mad at Space Johnny Bravo for not being a Bebop clone.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Jave wrote:
When Dandy has one of his lengthy monologues in which talks about his adoration of asses ,we aren't laughing with him,we are laughing at him.

Really? I see similar 'man declares his love of female body part' manly monologues in lots of other fanservice anime so its not so different from your average fanservice show it seems Wink Kinda sounds like an excuse to enjoy a show which opens with a philosophical debate about TnA. Nothing wrong with enjoying that.

I am well aware of those monologues that you speak about and yeah they are quite different.Usually when a main character gives his speech talking about his preferences of whatever,this comes from a character that will be proven to be right by the show.For example,monologues that Keima from "The world God only knows" has are jokes,but they have different points.The point of the jokes found in Keima's monologue is that he is always absurdly right.That is big difference there,we laugh with Keima not at him.Even in the example you have given,it is quite clear that your reaction is supposed to be like "HA HA HA HA HA you I understand you bro!!" and not "HA HA HA HA HA what a moron".
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Dunks wrote:
Artstyle has a alot to do with it, and just general style.

Can you elaborate? Space Dandy looks pretty standard to me. Dandy's design himself reminds me a lot of Lupin, which was huge in Japan.

danilo07 wrote:
Even in the example you have given,it is quite clear that your reaction is supposed to be like "HA HA HA HA HA you I understand you bro!!" and not "HA HA HA HA HA what a moron".

So you're saying Dandy is a moron for liking butts more than boobs? Laughing Dunno, it seems pretty subjective if you're laughing with these pervs or at them. They're all pretty over the top and absurd. Guess it depends how much a perv the viewer is.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
If they really wanted Dandy to be a fanservice show, they should have put a female character in a skimpy outfit on the regular cast. Y'know, like non-fanservice shows do! Razz
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought the whole point of Space Dandy was for Wantanabe and a bunch of his friends to get together and play around with a large budget and studio Bones great animation team. Anime hyper

That being said, I'm really enjoying Space Dandy. While not as *fun* as Kill la Kill, it's still really entertaining to watch week to week.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well, I for one am completely convinced that these ratings mean nothing. Much like Space Dandy's apparent popularity, they are simply inaccurate and meaningless. Let me tell you why:

-Firstly, at that time of night Space Dandy lacks competition. There's nothing else to even watch so of course people watch it. [I have internalized my entertainment due to a lack of an actual personality]

-And even if it did have competition, it's not like this is primetime anyway so it means nothing. It's just a big fish in a small pond. [I am also a profoundly insecure person]

-Besides, this show is just all hype anyway. [Consequently, I interpret the popularity of things I like/dislike as reflective of my worth as a human being]

-Nobody would even be paying any attention to it if not for its famous director and people who like it only do because its different. [Thus, my fragile psyche simply can't handle that anyone might genuinely like a thing I don't]

-And who cares anyway? Even if it did do okay in America it's going to fail in Japan and that's what really matters. [I've also massively internalized Japan as a surrogate culture because I don't fit in with my own]

-Anime ultimately succeeds because of the support of the real fans in Japan. [And am therefore reflexively against anything I perceive as more "American"]

-Really, I don't know why Japan should even bother making shows like Space Dandy that cater to other audiences. [Or really anything that doesn't cater to the tiny, insular niche of neurotic, emotionally stunted people I am a part of]

-Also, did I mention how much of a failure Flowers of Evil was? That has no real relevance here. I just still like to bring it up periodically to make sure nobody has forgotten. [So basically, the entire industry, without exception, must be geared toward me and only me or I get mad]

Anyway, I hope that clears up some of these misconceptions about Space Dandy's success. [I will talk about this at length and in every topic pertaining to this show and have been since it was announced]

ikillchicken, this post is brilliant, and can be posted in every thread that devolves into arguments like:
1. Any show made for women/fujoshi/GAR guys/people who aren't into [favorite genre] suck, and they all bomb, no matter how many copies they sell. If they do sell well, it's obviously because people other than the show's intended audience chose to buy it.

2. If a reviewer didn't like a show, the review is flat out, objectively wrong, misinformed, and/or the reviewer is prejudiced against [genre] and all the people who like it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The messed up thing is, I basically accept the 2nd one at this point. I mean, it's sad and petty but it's also pretty common and hardly new. A lot of fans take criticisms of the things they like as criticisms of themselves. From there it is a pretty straight shot to defensive flailing. It's not good behavior. As I said, it speaks to a massive over-internalization and some pretty deep insecurity, but okay. At least that's pretty much always been the case.

But just what the hell is up with this more recent trend of certain people getting mad just because other people like something different? We saw it with Flowers of Evil where nobody could like that show without being called a pretentious snob or being reminded at every turn that it didn't sell. We saw it with Free where it was apparently a bloody crime against humanity that KyoAni made a show for women. And now we're seeing it again with Space Dandy where more or less the same cadre of people constantly try to undermine its success at every turn.

It's just bloody nuts. Like, we seem to have shifted from "you can't criticize the things I like" which is childish but understandable to "You can't even like the things you like either. Nothing can even exist unless it is the exact kind of thing I like". The entire industry has to be making shows for them and them only. And oh? This one show is doing something different? Well we better find a way to undermine that. If it isn't popular they'll constantly bring it up. And if it is, they'll constantly try to explain it away. And always, no matter what, they'll remind everyone why its fans don't really like it and just say they like it because of whatever auxiliary reasons.

I just...I don't even know what to say about that. It's just mind boggling that people can be that allergic to differing tastes and opinions.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
You're ignoring the fact that those people have this holier than thou attitude when it came to some of these shows like they're superior and more intellectual for liking cartian shows.. Around here I noticed the people who gushed over Flowers of Evil went out of their way to harp on "stupid close-minded otaku can't appreciate this truly refined art style because if it doesnt have big moe eyes it's garbage!" and attributing the failure of the show at every turn to the ignorant market. Fans internalized the show to the point that they insisted anyone who found the art ugly were close minded and it couldn't be because it actually was ugly.

Space Dandy is kinda similar. People are hailing it like it's some western focus show when it's really just another typical anime. They've internalized the show to the point that they have to make it represent some kinda statement that it's American for some reason. Like there's no way otaku could like this show because of some dumb reasoning that only incest/pedo anime sells despite there being hardly any incest/pedo anime every season . ANN's community has a reputation for being very anti-otaku on other sites I visit when it gets brought up so that might be the case. Space Dandy cant just be a fun show people enjoy, it has to be a soapbox for American tastes despite the fact it's nothing like Bebop outside of traveling around space.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The only "holier than thou" attitude I see in this thread comes from you and all the other users who consistently show up to passive-agressively sneer at anything that's "different" or "American."

Could you all please stop that, by the way? It's really irritating.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken's post on page 2 was the first post in the thread that exhibited any kind of hostility and holier than thou. But since you agree with him you probably wont find anything wrong with a post filled with nothing but personal attacks and trolling. You're also not so subtly doing it by making it an issue about Space Dandy being "different" when it's not and yet you're trying to make this some kind of nerd tribalism
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
ikillchicken's post on page 2 was the first post in the thread that exhibited any kind of hostility and holier than thou. But since you agree with him you probably wont find anything wrong with a post filled with nothing but personal attacks and trolling.

You're pretty much just disproving your own point. There was absolutely nothing in my post that was remotely hostile towards anyone who simply doesn't like Space Dandy. In fact, quite to the contrary, I said explicitly that liking or disliking the show was completely beside the point. My post was clearly directed 100% at the people who try to use exactly the arguments I posted to undermine the credibility of those who do like it, and dismiss it's popularity and success. The fact that you managed to look at that and see me being a hostile snob to people for not liking Space Dandy really just speaks to your own skewed perceptions.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
No, I legitimately think that you guys don't like anything that's different or related to America in any way. That's fine, I suppose. What I can't understand is why you're always insulting that stuff, and/or playing down its achievements ("those ratings aren't that impressive" to paraphrase) as if you don't want anyone else to enjoy that stuff either.

This is my genuine opinion from what I've read, and it truly does irritate me. If I came off as rude or arrogant in how I expressed that sentiment, I apologize, but I stand by what I said.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I did'nt know ANN was anti-Otaku. I wish it was.

Anyway, what makes Space Dandy like other anime? I'm not saying it's original, because it's not. Nothing is. Yet, surly it's directing with animation sequences, general art design, and humor make it unlike something like High School DxD? The argument seems to be that "oh it's also got fanservice". Fanservice seems to be the dividing line between us or them.

I don't think people are against fanservice. I think people are against show's who's entire point is the TnA and please watch it to get you're tna fix. At the expense of anything else. You are supposed to be aroused in some way.

I've watched Space Dandy. The "fanservice" is not arousing and it seems to be more for a joke in service to the goofy woman chasing lead. it's sex humor and it's pretty absurd. I don't think it's meant to arouse you anyway. Of course this is all to how you infer things.

Write this off as just having a bias and not wanting to admit I secretly like some BS like Ikkitousen or something. I sure don't.

But I don't get this argument that because it's fanservice, it's just like all these other fanservice show. I guess that works if you want to just discredit the show and ignore the other elements of the show.

No I don't see other fansercive shows like Space Dandy. They usually revolve around a bland(either a pervert or loser) lead and his harem of women that like him from some reason. You aren't supposed to laugh at the lead like you are with Dandy. No, with Dandy you're supposed to think he's an idiot. He's not a self insertion character.

I don't see the kind of humor on display in these shows. The setting is a no go as they mostly take places at schools or other bland settings. Nothing like the psychedelic visuals either.

It really is not in the same area as something like Highscool DAnime hyper.

But why? Why are you in such a rush to discredit and put down this show based really not on it's quality, but rather it's fans? Kind of says more about you then it does about the people who like the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy has far more in common with Johnny Bravo than Highschool DxD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5