• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece: Does the Controversy Still Remain?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I remember creating this thread a looooong time ago, and I think that people are still divided among whether the 4Kids version was any good or not, with all the edits and the fact that certain episodes were even left out. Funny thing about going back and reading this thread was that it was in the days when I first started posting in the forums, and I didn't know much about how things worked here, and I also didn't know some of the terms being used at the time. If you read the first page you'll see some of the posters responses to what I said, now here's the thing, I did not know what fansubs were at the time and I had only watched the Japanese version of the show in Japan before I had watched the English dub.
I do not watch the English dub even now, but haven't been able to the Japanese version due to the fact that I simply have no time. Does anybody even watch the show anymore, or have we moved in life where we need not waste any of our precious anime time to even watch a show despised among fans of the original show. If you haven't seen the original show and only the dub, have you stopped watching it? Or do you continue to watch One Piece to this day in the United States of America?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I continue to read the manga, and watch the subbed show as soon as it becomes available. I also "watch" the American dub in my own fashion, which is that I leave CN on from 8PM to about 4AM on Saturdays while I work, mostly listening but also watching when it's interesting, so I'm aware of what's going on in the dub as well.

I still don't like it.

I've come to the point of acceptance though. It sucks, they clearly don't care enough to fix it, it's not really worth trying with them. Yeah, Robin is inexplicably Texan, sure, they changed Portegas D. Ace to "Tracer" for some unknowable reason, they cut the entire Little Garden arc, which mucks up elements of the current arc and is referenced far down the line in the Little Garden arc, and yet leave in the super lame Alabasta filler episodes, Lord knows why, and the VAs, particularly for Luffy and Sanji, continue to suck on toast.

So yeah, still not a fan, but what's the point of complaining when they screw up yet again?
beast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge OP fan, download and watch the fansubs and intend to buy the manga sometime in the distant future. As for the dub, I have seen the edits and three actual minutes of it, which was a pain. It's a pity that neither English nor German subtitled DVDs of OP exist, seeing as it's the only shounen adventure/fighting anime that I gave a temporary rating of "Masterpiece" and which I'd consider shelling out money for.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I've come to the point of acceptance though. It sucks, they clearly don't care enough to fix it, it's not really worth trying with them.

That's where I am with the dubbed One Piece. It's been going on for two years, still sucks, and hasn't and won't improve much at all. In fact, in recent episodes, all I cared about was finding out how they handled the first Crocodile vs. Luffy fight, and I couldn't even muster up enough emotion in its handling to be honestly upset with it.

I'm still reading the English manga, Japanese manga, and watching the Japanese anime all as they come out, but I don't even care to keep it tuned in if I catch it on.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
One Piece: Does the Controversy Still Remain?

It does to me. I don't really like the One Piece dub that much since 4kids removed all the good stuff (i.e. blood, guns, Japanese references, cleavage, sake, etc.) so I just like the subs more often (but I'm pretty much okay with the dubbed voices and the rap). I wish they never gotten that show in the first place and just let VIZ Media license it. However, we still have our precious fansubs and mangas.

You know, I just saw on Shonen Jump magezines that there's a One Piece DVD. So my question is...

Is the DVD uncut like it's suppose to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:

You know, I just saw on Shonen Jump magezines that there's a One Piece DVD. So my question is...

Is the DVD uncut like it's suppose to?

Nope. While Viz is distributing it through the SJ Home Video line, it's still the same cut version on TV from 4Kids.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I wish they never gotten that show in the first place and just let VIZ Media license it.

Viz Media would have been as barbaric as 4Kids because One Piece would have almost certainly remained edited for a Y7 audience. The trade-off would have been "flat/uninspired" dubbing in favour of the re-tooled 4Kids script (which added puns) and the original music track. There's not even a guarantee that most of One Piece's original background music would have been carried over.

One Piece would have been guillotined by any of the companies that gunned after its license, with the possible exception of FUNimation, but even then, that's not a guarantee. I think the primary reason Toei bequeathed the license onto 4Kids was because 4Kids had a public-television entertainment bloc (4Kids.tv) and they felt they could reach the most potential viewers possible.

They weren't wrong; the English One Piece is more popular in Britain and Australia than Naruto (even though it is more heavily edited in those regions), and it's attained a rival following in Canada. Why OP failed in America is an urban legend, and we could end up discussing it for hours and hours.

All in all, I'm indifferent to 4Kids treatment. Most of the "complaints" against the show are unfounded/arsinine since broadcasting standards for a child's television programme are especially high for public-access TV, so the FCC is less strict on "Y7" shows aired on cable. As far as complaining about the "heart" of One Piece, it's still there in full.

If there's any company to blame for an OP "controversy", it's Viz Media. Ever since the 4Kids anime premiered, Viz has been trying to cater to the same viewers (as readers) who watch the show on TV, so the dialogue is ridiculously childish. There was no need to follow 4Kids' conventions in the slightest since Viz is a private company selling a product, not providing a public service like 4Kids is doing; as such, they've pissed off a number of readers with their spellings (which were written so that literal phonetic pronunciation would be easier for kids), their omission of Eiichiro Oda's double entendres and much of the author's humour.

All of these changes were unnecessary (in contrast to 4Kids), and they're inconsistent, to boot. At least they've retouched the artwork to make it cleaner, but the artwork was always OP's greatest hindurance in attracting Western readers. Sigh.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

I've come to the point of acceptance though. It sucks, they clearly don't care enough to fix it, it's not really worth trying with them. Yeah, Robin is inexplicably Texan, sure, they changed Portegas D. Ace to "Tracer" for some unknowable reason, they cut the entire Little Garden arc, which mucks up elements of the current arc and is referenced far down the line in the Little Garden arc, and yet leave in the super lame Alabasta filler episodes, Lord knows why, and the VAs, particularly for Luffy and Sanji, continue to suck on toast.

So yeah, still not a fan, but what's the point of complaining when they screw up yet again?

well, they changed Smoker's name to chaser, obviously because of the smoking. they did take out his cigars, but left the smoke. ace was changed to Trace for no apparent reason
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
well, they changed Smoker's name to chaser, obviously because of the smoking. they did take out his cigars, but left the smoke. ace was changed to Trace for no apparent reason

See, I can't understand that one. Why would you have to do that one? Is there a famous character whose name happens to be Asce? That's how it's spelled according to Oda Eiichiro.
Kurosaki_Ichigo_1000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
suna_suna wrote:

See, I can't understand that one. Why would you have to do that one? Is there a famous character whose name happens to be Asce? That's how it's spelled according to Oda Eiichiro.
I just think 4kids enjoys screwing with us >_> Seriously, Ace is a fine name. Like Luffy or Nami, nothing is wrong with the name. I think people wanted Ace, but 4kids decided "You want Ace? Too bad. You don't get Ace. You get Trace". Also, VIZ wouldn't have been a runner up to dubbing One Piece, that would bee FUNimation, for they would've obtained One Piece, but 4kids shelled up the bigger bucks. >_> *sigh* Hopefully 4kids sells the license soon...
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
suna_suna wrote:

That's actually not how his name is spelled, actually. The "s" on Ace's tattoo was crossed out because it was a spelling error on the part of the tattoo artist.

Anyway, 4Kids changed Ace's name because they were erasing his tattoo and felt that they needed a "harder" sounding name to make the character more distinctive. 4Kids has also hardened all soft "s" sounds into "z'", like Portgas -> Portgaz and Gedatsu -> Getadz.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Would you guys be happy if Funi or Viz got the right to the One Piece movie. Kind of like how the Yu Yu Hakusho is done by Funi but the movis were done by different companies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Would you guys be happy if Funi or Viz got the right to the One Piece movie. Kind of like how the Yu Yu Hakusho is done by Funi but the movis were done by different companies.

It would make for a good contrast, especially if they gave a big old bird to $Kids and did a straight translation, with the real names and no edits. Unfortunately the few OP movies I have seen were not all that great anyways.
Opal Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I accepted it and moved on, I got actual chills when I first heard the One piece rap Crying or Very sad , I don't even blame 4kids, they have a very specific market and license/edit anime series to fit that criteria.

I'd blame Toei for not caring about mantaining the integrity of the series and just going for the licensing dollars, and after seeing how they treated the releases of Air master and Slam dunk (plus sailor moon, saint seiya...), I came to the conclusion that they don't care all that much about their own properties or fans.

Oh well, I hope there's an uncut R3 release so that I may own the dvds one day Smile
Kurosaki_Ichigo_1000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
suna_suna wrote:

That's actually not how his name is spelled, actually. The "s" on Ace's tattoo was crossed out because it was a spelling error on the part of the tattoo artist.

Anyway, 4Kids changed Ace's name because they were erasing his tattoo and felt that they needed a "harder" sounding name to make the character more distinctive. 4Kids has also hardened all soft "s" sounds into "z'", like Portgas -> Portgaz and Gedatsu -> Getadz.
...so what if they get rid of his tatoo? I can understand names like Smoker and Ms. Doublefinger (even though every name should be left the way it was...) just the removal of a tatoo doesn't mean his name get's changed too. They got rid of emblems on Nami's shirts too, but you don't see her name changed, eh? Heck, Nami more sounds more foriegn then Ace >_>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2