• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kotono Mitsuishi Leads New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
EmpoleTRON wrote:
So you're going in and criticizing without prior knowledge?

As I have said before, I have not read the sailor moon manga (so I suppose I am not a die hard fan), please tell me why it is so awesome it will guarantee at the very least high ratings. I did read the FMA manga and boy it is clear as day why brotherhood was superior story wise, I could explain that in one single post, can you?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

For those that are ranting endlessly, the legs are one head length too long, otherwise the proportions aren't too off from most anime aesthetics.

Seems like the lower leg is too much longer than the upper leg and looks just a bit off even for anime (whether too thin in some places and don't match up).

zeo1fan wrote:

I also find it funny that people are calling Ami 'moe' when Naoko Takeuchi clearly hates modern otaku culture. For God's sake; La Reconquista had a song about how evil 2D Love was. Laughing

Well, the SM girls are kinda the opposite of moe: they're proactive about a lot of things; they go look for boyfriends; not just to be hugged - they want to date; they do things they want to do, they want to go places they want to go; they won't have a problem leading the dance; back in the day, fangirls want to be them - fanboys want to date them; it was part of the rise of girl power and shoujo among fandom in the 90s; etc.

solarsun wrote:

Remember back when sailor moon first was adapted to anime it seemed like a general rule that the original authors drawing style would be converted to generic anime characters.

People forget that the SM manga and anime debuted about the same time. The SM manga and anime were both planned at the very start. The mangaka and animators put their own stamps (one of the more noticeable being the Ando episodes).

Anyways, what's a bit surprising is that the SM production committee isn't strongly leveraging this to global broadcasters. This franchise made a ton of money to a lot of people - they have some cache with businesses around the world. They can work with that.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon anime and manga are like apples and oranges.

People often cite the senshi have more development and depth than their boy-crazy anime counterparts, but on the flip side the villains are all fairly one note. A lot of them die in one measly chapter, where as in the anime like, say, Fish-Eye and Nephrite, they're fleshed out and given way more screen time and depth.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Anyways, what's a bit surprising is that the SM production committee isn't strongly leveraging this to global broadcasters. This franchise made a ton of money to a lot of people - they have some cache with businesses around the world. They can work with that.

It is not surprising at all:

1) If Toei were to do some leveraging, they would do it with Precure, which much like One Piece has yet to become a big hit outside of Asia.

2) Sailor Moon became a hit two decades ago due to fans (aka Otaku) this side of the Pacific making an uproar, it was not part of a corporate strategy which is a trend that sadly continues to this date; Bleach, Naruto or Attack on Titan have become hits due to huge fan support, not because Kodansha/Shogakukan or Toei/Pierrot have some worldwide marketing strategy of their biggest assets.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It is not surprising at all:

1) If Toei were to do some leveraging, they would do it with Precure, which much like One Piece has yet to become a big hit outside of Asia.

Toei has no leverage with Precure. Precure has not as much proven track record in the Americas and Europe. Toei has leverage with Sailor Moon.

mangamuscle wrote:

2) Sailor Moon became a hit two decades ago due to fans (aka Otaku)

Not just with otaku - that's why it was localized in so many different languages. Even the OP theme song! It was like DBZ.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Toei has no leverage with Precure. Precure has not as much proven track record in the Americas and Europe. Toei has leverage with Sailor Moon.

But Sailor Moon is owned by Naoko Takeuchi, while Precure is owned by Toei. In the long run it makes more business sense to advertise your own products even if at first they are harder to sell, that is the reason Sony and Nintendo became huge.

Quote:
Not just with otaku - that's why it was localized in so many different languages. Even the OP theme song! It was like DBZ.

I know, but it all started due to the hardcore fans doing some publicity, not because Kodansha or Toei spent one yen into publicity outside japan (which if you think is what big studios do everytime they do a big franchise production).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But Sailor Moon is owned by Naoko Takeuchi, while Precure is owned by Toei. In the long run it makes more business sense to advertise your own products even if at first they are harder to sell, that is the reason Sony and Nintendo became huge.

Doesn't matter who ultimately owns something - if they all can make money off it, they'll do business with it.

mangamuscle wrote:

Quote:

I know, but it all started due to the hardcore fans doing some publicity, not because Kodansha or Toei spent one yen into publicity outside japan (which if you think is what big studios do everytime they do a big franchise production).

Hardcore fans had something to do with it, but not as much. This was before the proliferation of the internet and social media - hardcore fans didn't have as much influence with broadcasters. The SM production people shopped Sailor Moon around, and broadcasters bought into it. And they should do that again.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Doesn't matter who ultimately owns something - if they all can make money off it, they'll do business with it.

Real life story, Cartoon Network is owned by Time Warner, who also owns DC comics. Cartoon Network produced the Teen Titans series for five seasons. The show was a hit. They decided to stop it and produce a then untested new show called Ben 10. The reason? Even tough they are owned by the same companies, producing a show with DC comics intellectual property meant some of the profit went to the sister company. Doing a show with their own intellectual property means all profits stay with them. IRL it does matter who owns the IP.

Quote:
Hardcore fans had something to do with it, but not as much. This was before the proliferation of the internet and social media - hardcore fans didn't have as much influence with broadcasters. The SM production people shopped Sailor Moon around, and broadcasters bought into it. And they should do that again.

First time ever I hear this, got any names? Two decades ago I remember Hitoshi Doi spearheading shogakukan popular licences (stuff done by Rumiko Takahashi) into the USA trough their subsidiary VIZ media, but I have never heard about any TOEI or Kodansha executive doing any publicity of any of their IP.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I used to be a a huge fan from back in the day. I personally really like these new designs as they look close to the manga version.

Despite having the majority of the cast changed, I don't mind. Even though I did grow up listening to them, I'm sure the new voices will be just as good.

The thing about changing bits to be modern will be funny. Their uniforms are clearly from the 90s which look entirely out of place. Oh well I guess we will see Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Real life story, Cartoon Network is owned by Time Warner, who also owns DC comics. Cartoon Network produced the Teen Titans series for five seasons. The show was a hit. They decided to stop it and produce a then untested new show called Ben 10. The reason? Even tough they are owned by the same companies, producing a show with DC comics intellectual property meant some of the profit went to the sister company. Doing a show with their own intellectual property means all profits stay with them. IRL it does matter who owns the IP.

People aren't going to eschew $1 million just because maybe they can earn $2 million with something else. That's not how you become rich. If you can earn that $1 million, you take that $1 million; it's still money in your pocket. Then work to earn that $2 million. Not one or the other. That's business.

mangamuscle wrote:

Quote:

First time ever I hear this, got any names?

Business conferences

NATPE - National Association of Television Programming Executives

MIPCOM - Marche International des Films et des Programmes

• EM.TV has been an important partner for TOEI Animation, Japan, in TV distribution and merchandising for German speaking countries since 1995. EM.TV acquired an extensive part of TOEI's rights catalogue for Scandinavia, and Central and Eastern Europe. The TOEI catalogue has added to our unique catalogue of programming in these countries, where we have had a huge success with Sailor Moon, and now with Digimon.

Toei shops shows at business conferences like NATPE and MIPCOM every year. How do ya think broadcasters know about these shows like Sailor Moon? Do ya think it's just because they're combing the hardcore fans in the 1990s?

• International Fairs

Toei Animation participates in major international trade shows for television programs such as MIP-TV and MIPCOM, which are held in France, and NATPE in the United States . During these trade shows, the Toei Animation booth is visited by many television stations and distributors. As we introduce our films, we carefully investigate how our films can be developed to meet the needs and broadcasting standards in each country in order to license broadcasting rights, video rights, and merchandising rights. Trade fairs have become an important venue for spreading our creations around the globe.

mangamuscle wrote:

Two decades ago I remember Hitoshi Doi spearheading shogakukan popular licences (stuff done by Rumiko Takahashi) into the USA trough their subsidiary VIZ media, but I have never heard about any TOEI or Kodansha executive doing any publicity of any of their IP.

Hitoshi Doi was influential to fans, but not to broadcasters.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
merr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
First time ever I hear this, got any names? Two decades ago I remember Hitoshi Doi spearheading shogakukan popular licences (stuff done by Rumiko Takahashi) into the USA trough their subsidiary VIZ media, but I have never heard about any TOEI or Kodansha executive doing any publicity of any of their IP.

Sailor Moon was licensed in the US because girl power was at its zenith in the 90s, and because it came with a marketable toy line. DiC got the series after a bidding war, and it had nothing to do with hardcore anime fans pressuring them to release the show (if anything, the hardcore fans resented DiC for butchering the series). This was right after Power Rangers became a hit, and DiC was probably trying to capitalize on that by going after a property from the same Japanese company and with a similar premise.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
EmpoleTRON wrote:
So you're going in and criticizing without prior knowledge?

As I have said before, I have not read the sailor moon manga (so I suppose I am not a die hard fan), please tell me why it is so awesome it will guarantee at the very least high ratings. I did read the FMA manga and boy it is clear as day why brotherhood was superior story wise, I could explain that in one single post, can you?

I already left you a long comment about why it's awesome. You ignored it. Confused
Jave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Sailor Moon was licensed in the US because girl power was at its zenith in the 90s, and because it came with a marketable toy line. DiC got the series after a bidding war, and it had nothing to do with hardcore anime fans pressuring them to release the show (if anything, the hardcore fans resented DiC for butchering the series). This was right after Power Rangers became a hit, and DiC was probably trying to capitalize on that by going after a property from the same Japanese company and with a similar premise.

Here's the cheesy promo used to shop it around Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXqoPgbH0c
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

WELL, to be fair DiC didn't just win the bid war, they got the liscense because they only planned to dub the anime, whereas the other big bidder wanted to make this:

http://youtu.be/xS027mYtRu8 (warning it can be loud)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
merr wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

WELL, to be fair DiC didn't just win the bid war, they got the liscense because they only planned to dub the anime, whereas the other big bidder wanted to make this:

http://youtu.be/xS027mYtRu8 (warning it can be loud)

Ugh, I'm glad that version of Sailor moon was never made, it nearly gave me stage 5 eye and ear cancer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14