• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Creator Apologizes for Hidden Dirty Message in Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simona.com

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
The Mask wrote:
The news on the hidden message was rather amusing. But after giving it some thought, I think it's understandable why Isayama made the apology.

It would've been okay if the random message did not contain any vulgar language. But since it did, AND it was published in a magazine aimed at young boys (not to mention the fanbase significantly expanding to young girls as well), I understand the need to apologize. It's kinda like those subliminal sexual messages in some Disney movies.

Well maybe. But it does ask some questions. High graphic violence is fine, but save the children from the weiner word? Wink The message wasn't all that explicit.

the message actually says 'chinko' that is a not polite word for 'penis' so 'weiner' was a watered-down translation. kotaku's translation is much more literal in that respect.
angieness

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
You can't really use the "this is a mange for kids" defense when it comes to this series. I don't understand how people getting brutally ripped apart and eaten is totally fine for kids, but a vulgar message is a step too far and will corrupt poor children.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Slowzhand wrote:

That does not say 'sex' it says 'SFX' which is a nod to their special effects department. Which is the case for all of the times you see that happen in the Disney movies.

Seriously, do you really think Disney movies would be that obvious?

Yeah i'm aware of that, but a lot of people mistook SFX as SEX. It's isn't the only time Disney was under fire, remember the phallic-shaped object in the Little Mermaid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
simona.com

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
You can't really use the "this is a mange for kids" defense when it comes to this series. I don't understand how people getting brutally ripped apart and eaten is totally fine for kids, but a vulgar message is a step too far and will corrupt poor children.

I totally agree, but Japanese media have a strict language code they have to respect; as it is often the case in Japan, it's more about rules and keeping up appearances than logic, unfortunately.
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:

I don't think it could be better said. I don't understand why Attack on Titan is being pushed onto young boys and girls, that makes absolutely no sense.

So to use that to defend the decision is absolutely... baffling. I'm not saying the decision was wrong as a whole, I'm saying that justification is, for a lack of better way to describe it, bullcrap.

You know what the BETTER justification it is? It's unprofessional that the creator let his assistant do that. If the creator wants to apologize for THAT reason, I.E. that he was careless in letting it get through being he is doing this and being PAID for it, then THAT would make more sense.

Simply put, fire the assistant, because if he thinks that kind of stuff is funny and cute, he can get out of the business. You shouldn't do something like pointlessly editing something for your personal amusement and expect to be praised or get away with it.

But I will praise him for coaxing all the people who did use that 'think of the children' excuse out of the woodwork for their hypocrisy.

simona.com wrote:
angieness wrote:

I totally agree, but Japanese media have a strict language code they have to respect; as it is often the case in Japan, it's more about rules and keeping up appearances than logic, unfortunately.

And really, this is what it comes down to. The ethics code over in japan is just as backwards as it is here in the states. As long as people are recognizing it's a warped logic and not approving of it, that's what matters. There is nothing that can be done about it, though I do think people over in japan should be making a bigger stink about it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Lija-chan wrote:
So it really was an assistant.

Yeah, I sort of got that impression from the general fourth-grade tone of the message... Razz
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
That was more poetic than most lines I've seen in anime.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Meh it's not obvious, honoestly disney and most commercials probably have more offensive content.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much figured it was an assistant who added that. Usually the mangaka will only draw the main parts of the panel and the background, etc is left up to the assistants.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Apparently it's okay to show naked giant eating people brutally, but not okay to show slang word for penis and vagina. I think perhaps it's some kind of media ethics or whatever, so I guess the official needs to apologize, even though most likely no one cares.

Also, Shingeki is targeted for kids? Really? Are we back to "all cartoon and comic are for kids" thing?
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't even know how this became an issue. Ostensibly nude giant people, running around murdering and eating "normal" sized people, and I do believe there is some very coarse language, not to mention a character who seems to fetishize what would amount to torture... and the thing that gets everyone upset is a slang mention of a male reproductive part written in upside down characters. Even if one presumes that Japanese culture places strong emphasis on the way certain language is used, you would think the numerous other circumstances and situations in the manga would be far more controversial than one "coded" word.

If the mangaka wanted to apologize for not doing a thorough job of error checking his and/or his assistant's work or whatever, that's fine. But I would say that the editors even missed it tells you how inconsequential it really is, that I don't know how it even rose to the level of mangaka and the editor feeling any need to respond. I don't even like AoT yet I feel it's a bit unfair the negative publicity they'll get over this.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

Also, Shingeki is targeted for kids? Really? Are we back to "all cartoon and comic are for kids" thing?

It's a shounen manga. It's for 10-16 year-old boys.

Surprise, surprise, Japanese kids' comics can get away with MUCH more than what you could in the west. To-Love-Ru is a shounen comic too and it's loaded with tons of sexual fanservice, for instance.
cosain

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
if it didn't hurt anyone, then shouldnt it be fine?

I'm sure a normal reader wouldn't even look twice at it, because I know i wouldnt...
KasaiSenpuu

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:

Unfortunately, in Japan, yes. It is targeted for kids. See the magazine it's published in. Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. Despite that same magazine containing all sorts of questionable contents like Aku no Hana(never read it, but from the looks of it, yeah).

Blood, Gore, Almost Nudity is still okay for kids there. Just like Chagen46 said, they can get away with that for kids. Apparently, nudity without doing "crude" sexual stuff is still considered as "purity" in Japan. However, once it reaches the crude territory, or in this case, language, nope. But I do personally think though that the line drawn between them seems pretty thin and overlaps probably sometimes. >_>

From what I've seen, the fans over there are totally not fine with it. And when Isayama apologized, they seem relieved.

Us on the other hand, we're pretty much laughing at the joke no sweat. Laughing

Well, there were others there who did laugh too, but the general consensus seemed to be uncomfortable, "bad vibes" kinda thing. Some even say that "Doing manga is hard work, so we'll forgive the author" or the likes before Isayama apologized.

Point is, Japan just isn't America(or any other western country for that matter). There are going to be Cultural differences, which means different views on the matter. Can't do anything about that.

For us, we don't really see the point in apologizing for that since we're used to those kind of things. For them, it's quite a relief that the author recognized the problem and did an apology.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
The Mask wrote:
I understand the need to apologize. It's kinda like those subliminal sexual messages in some Disney movies.

Ah yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. Laughing

No misinterpretation on this one:

For the NSFW original:
http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.asp

Also, just for fun: Laughing

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3