• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Teens Share Their Reactions to Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
daichi383 wrote:
Everytime the Dub-hater chick spoke i cringed but the others were a bit more level headed. i seriously hate when kids do that cause they are obviously still in that phase of fandom where everything not japanese sucks to them.

Hey brah, why does it have to be a phase? Why can't it just be a standard preference to watch shows in their native language? Your condensending attitude is not very welcome, and despite your implication of you being elightened, you sound more closeminded than any of these children do.

This. It's not a phase at all. After watching both dubbed anime and subbed anime for over a decade I can say for a fact that dubs acting quality is subpar compared to the Japanese. A lot of this has to do with the fact that the Japanese have entire schools for Voice Acting while American voice actors are generally just stage actors or failed actors that couldnt make it to/in hollywood.

The pure acting ability is what makes Subs better than dubs. They capture the emotion so much better in MOST shows. Some older dubs like Bebop, GITS:SAC, FMA (both versions) had excellent dubs that I found better than the subs but these are very rare.

All that said, both versions of of AoT are extremely overrated and lacking of real substance.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
God the Finebros are just. F*cking. Awful.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

The dub rage is strong in this one Laughing

It sure is. But the subbies are the ones who have already crossed over to the dark side of the fandom.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, the English dub is pretty subpar.

There's a character in the Japanese that really I felt was subpar: Armin.

It's because of the following: Unless the lead guy gets turned into a girl, is very effeminate, or regularly cross-dresses (Baka and Test's Hideyoshi is good example of a woman-voiced boy), I don't think any boy 13+ should be given a woman's voice (This applies to both Eng. and Japanese. What I've seen of the Japanese version of Mirai Nikki, Yukii was especially guilty of this). It's seem especially out of place to me when it's a harem/fan service heavy show.

Heck, if I knew enough Japanese, I'd tell said voice actress and the people that cast her that it was big mistake to cast her because there are male seiyuu out there that can pull off a teen boy voice (Tetsuya Kakihara is a very good example).

For me, the most appropriate sounding woman-voiced boy I've seen in dub/sub is both versions of teenage Naruto.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

The dub rage is strong in this one Laughing

It sure is. But the subbies are the ones who have already crossed over to the dark side of the fandom.

Following your way of thinking, I guess you'd be considered a dubbie, correct?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

It's because of the following: Unless the lead guy gets turned into a girl, is very effeminate, or regularly cross-dresses (Baka and Test's Hideyoshi is good example of a woman-voiced boy), I don't think any boy 13+ should be given a woman's voice (This applies to both Eng. and Japanese. What I've seen of the Japanese version of Mirai Nikki, Yukii was especially guilty of this). It's seem especially out of place to me when it's a harem/fan service heavy show.

Heck, if I knew enough Japanese, I'd tell said voice actress and the people that cast her that it was big mistake to cast her because there are male seiyuu out there that can pull off a teen boy voice (Tetsuya Kakihara is a very good example).

For me, the most appropriate sounding woman-voiced boy I've seen in dub/sub is both versions of teenage Naruto.

Goku, Himura Kenshin and Edward Elric are the best examples of bad gender mismatch VA choices.

EDIT: Not to mention Suguru from Mahoromatic.

I don't care if Toriyama himself picked Goku's VA, it still is a crappy decision he's made even as the original creator.

Last edited by TopGunman on Mon May 19, 2014 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, i'm pretty sure they chose a female VA for Yukiteru to emphasize his character, and what a insecure weakling he was.

Oh, and look at FMA:B. Both leads are voiced by females, and they're utterly amazing at bringing the characters to life. One of them is even the Queen of Tsundere, yet she's able to pull it off. Many Japanese voice actors have great range, and I think the females are the ones who can really do both genders well.

E: Derp'd, forgot to add that I think the casting choice with Armin was similiar to that of Yukiteru's VA. They both come off as insecure & weak characters. Making them have more feminine voices will further reduce their "manliness" so to speak.

Last edited by SouthPacific on Mon May 19, 2014 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Goku, Himura Kenshin and Edward Elric are the best examples of bad gender mismatch VA choices.

I don't care if Toriyama himself picked Goku's VA, it still is a crappy decision he's made even as the original creator.

Masako Nozawa and Romi Paku absolutely dominate as Son Goku and Edward Elric, respectively. There's nobody that can even touch them. Nozawa radiates a charming, quirky spirit, and Paku already sounds kind of masculine IRL (no offense intended to her), so her being a teen boy works out better than a 45 year old man without much acting talent.

I'm not familiar with the Japanese version of AoT, but I have heard the English dub, and the male main characters both sound like VAs doing their best Vic Mignogna impressions. Too bad Vic Mignogna isn't a very good VA, either.

As for Kenshin, the whole point is that he's feminine-looking at first glance, and his opponents might consider him frail if they didn't know who he was, so a female voice is perfect.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon May 19, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Masako Nozawa and Romi Paku absolutely dominate as Son Goku and Edward Elric, respectively. There's nobody that can even touch them. Nozawa radiates a charming, quirky spirit, and Paku already sounds kind of masculine IRL (no offense intended to her), so her being a teen boy works out better than a 45 year old man without much acting talent.

I'm not familiar with the Japanese version of AoT, but I have heard the English dub, and the male main characters both sound like VAs doing their best Vic Mignogna impressions. Too bad Vic Mignogna isn't a very good VA, either.

Geez, does no one say "in my opinion" anymore? Because I disagree with you.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The dub vs. sub question had to be inevitable. The dub preference is understandable in not wanting to read a show. I disagree about Rae's sub preference statement because fansubs might not necessarily capture a faithful translation and a fan like her might be aware how the Japanese approved of the cast list.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Geez, does no one say "in my opinion" anymore? Because I disagree with you.

If you really need to see the phrase "in my opinion" to help you differentiate between a person's opinions and facts, maybe you have bigger problems than can be solved with my acquiescing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The dub vs. sub question had to be inevitable. The dub preference is understandable in not wanting to read a show. I disagree about Rae's sub preference statement because fansubs might not necessarily capture a faithful translation and a fan like her might be aware how the Japanese approved of the cast list.

The Japanese approved the cast list? That's cool! Smile
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I've never understood this "reading" a show thing. Is it really that hard for Americans to read subtitles? I guess not being exposed to foreign media makes many things difficult ;O.

And who is "the Japanese" in this case? Just curious~
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
cant speak for anyone else, but I can read just fine, I'm watching 30 shows this season. But, sometimes I just don't want to read, so I watch a show in English, assuming it has a dub.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

Thanks for the laugh of the day bro Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9