• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was clear that Asuna fought well enough to pass whatever test Yuuki had in mind.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
nothing was techincally left out, but people will probably have a hard time understanding why Asuna "passed" despite losing the fight.

I'm not concerned about that yet, as I presume that will become clearer with the next episode. (Despite what it may seem like at times, some people, at least, actually do have that much patience.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

I think I'm starting to like this spoiler[Yuuki girl now. She just seems to be like a fun friend to have around and has the skill to back up her position in the guild. Kinda amusing to see Kirito show up at the end. I wonder what else he has to say....]

Still curious to see what other roles spoiler[Asuna's mother will play as the latest episode shows that she has previously handled with her playing habits.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
If Asuna ever wants to be taken seriously in the real world she had better find a way to act that doesn't require someone to threaten to take her video game away.

What, she couldn't set an alarm?

And then act all pouty and sulky. As much as I think Asuna has some real grievances with her family I find myself much more sympathetic than expected with her mom.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I could see why Asuna related to that bunch.
She is still partly hung up on SAO though..
Her mom does have a point sometimes.
Still, she was being harsh and unreasonable too.
In-game Asuna is great, but in RL she has a lot to learn.
Guess she's more comfortable like that since she lived there after all.
Cool episode end.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I was told there would be no Kirito saving the damsels in distress.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm so far personally finding the RL part of this arc quite tedious. Both Asuna and her mother are both at wrongs, but neither is willing to compromise or at least talk diplomatically about the situation. The best thing for them is to be taken by the shoulders and have some sense shook into them.

spoiler[Seven players to take down a boss?] That would be a mighty feat indeed but it's no way impossible. Yuuki is the reason to watch this arc at the moment, I'm really liking her as a character.

Funny thing was that I was thinking that there's no way spoiler[The Sleeping Knights could take on 20 high level boss raiders and survive, but when Kirito showed up I had no doubts about him taking on the 29 reinforcements no problem.] I dunno... I still think spoiler[Kirito] is badass sometimes and I'm a sucker for dramatic entrances. Razz
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

LOL that's your take from this episode...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Why, yes, that is my take from the episode. That's why I wrote it. Did you have something in any way meaningful to add?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Yeah. As if.

I think his involvement will be limited but I am curious about what the reaction will be if Asuna is forced to 'fess up about their relationship to the rest of her new guild. Not that I expect anything earthshaking or extreme, but she was being pretty sly in talking about him as if he were a stranger.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
I'm so far personally finding the RL part of this arc quite tedious.

I had been starting to wonder if I was the only one who is finding the RL Asuna family interactions to be a drag. Asuna's mother just seems comically cold and foul towards her daughter (and this is the daughter who's life was in peril TWICE no less, one of those times at the hand of the man she and her husband selected for Asuna to marry!) It would seem that a real mother would at least be more affectionate and perhaps even clingy with her daughter at this point, rather than devolving into witchy stepmother type animosity. I feel like the RL scenes are not meant to enhance Asuna's development as a character. Instead, they are there to reinforce (for the audience) just how important it is for Asuna to keep playing in the virtual world. It's to highlight the importance of her virtual life. It does adequately function in that capacity, but it's not a subtle storytelling approach. Instead the writing shoves us into one mindset with brute force. As I said earlier, I would find it more impactfull if Asuna had a real choice to make between her family life and her virtual life.

As for the overall episode, it was serviceable. There weren't any major set-pieces this time around. The boss battle was cut away from before it actually started and the confrontation at the end was just a set-up for next episode, though it did succeed in creating some tension. Yes, there are a TON of issues with the MMO mechanics in this episode. A lot of the stuff that happened just wouldn't be possible in an MMO, but we've long established that this is more of a wishful thinking MMO scenario for the writer.

As for Yuki... to be honest, I prefer Kirito at this point. That might just be a function of the fact that we know almost nothing about her thus far, but I don't get the impression that we will be getting much of a story from her any time soon. The part where she told Asuna spoiler[that she didn't select Kirito "because he figured out my secret" indicates that her background is going to be a "secret" that will likely persist for much of the arc.] :3

But yea, there was enough of a fun story this episode that it was still entertaining... just nothing to be very excited about.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
It would seem that a real mother would at least be more affectionate and perhaps even clingy with her daughter at this point, rather than devolving into witchy stepmother type animosity.

Lots of parents believe that they need to be strict in order to make sure their kids grow up properly. If they pamper them then they might become no good bums who live in their parents' basement. However some just don't grasp the difference between authoritarian and authoritative parenting.

I actually found Asuna's mom to be fairly reasonable this episode. As strict as she is you'd think she'd ban Asuna from playing games outright, but she didn't. She set a reasonable rule for Asuna to be in time for supper, and allowed her to break that rule at least twice before threatening punishment.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I feel like the RL scenes are not meant to enhance Asuna's development as a character. Instead, they are there to reinforce (for the audience) just how important it is for Asuna to keep playing in the virtual world. It's to highlight the importance of her virtual life.

Not quite. What I see is that Asuna is running away from her real life and escaping to the virtual world. She makes no serious attempt at improving her home life outside of some petty quips while fleeing the room. That's why Yuuki's words struct a chord with her. I expect that the next time Asuna sees her mom, she'll actually show more of a spine.

What I was wondering about is if some random guild has any authority to put an area off limits. Is that standard MMO manners or is this just a bunch of guys with afros saying the pool is closed?

Also, shouldn't Asuna know this boss's patterns and stuff already? Or does New Aincrad have different bosses than the original?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
What bugged me here, was the size of a raid party. 49 people is ridiculous, how are you going to keep track of that? Plus, with the size of the boss rooms we've seen, people are going to be getting in each other's way.

In World of Warcraft, the maximum number of players in a raid is 25 (5 parties of 5).

In Final Fantasy XI and XIV, the maximum number of players in a raid is 24 (3 parties of 8).

Even in Log Horizon, which goes into depth explaining the mechanics behind a raid, the maximum number of players is 24 (4 parties of 6).

While 7 people in a party is fine, having 7 parties is ridiculous. You'd never be able to coordinate between the parties/players.

It's obvious that the arbitrary reason it was chosen, was because that would mean that 7 players are listed on the monument. Either the 7 members of a single party, or the 7 party leaders. They had to have the same number of party members and parties. Easily, he could've made one less character for the Sleeping Knights, and had it 6 parties of 6, if he wanted to do it this way. At least 36 is more reasonable than 49.

Furthermore, how are the bosses suddenly so difficult? Just a few episodes back, we had Kirito's group seemingly solo-party-ing a boss battle to get to floor 22 for their stupid little cabin.
Oroboro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
World of Warcraft used to have raids of 40 players, up until the first expansion.

Everquest was around the same in the beginning, possibly higher.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
What bugged me here, was the size of a raid party. 49 people is ridiculous, how are you going to keep track of that? Plus, with the size of the boss rooms we've seen, people are going to be getting in each other's way.

In World of Warcraft, the maximum number of players in a raid is 25 (5 parties of 5).

Although you are correct that most MMOs don't allow raid groups that large these days, that wasn't always the case. When WoW launched, maximum raid size was 40 people (i.e. 8 groups of 5 each). Before the first expansion, there were five 40 person raid instances in WoW, all of which were pretty hardcore. The only way to raid them successfully was to be in a top guild - bad players simply couldn't survive. It actually wasn't that difficult to coordinate a 40 person raid, you just had a number of leaders all working in harmony. Nowadays WoW raiding isn't as hardcore so it's not the same, but yea 40 person raids were totally viable and only top-skill people really did them.

In that vein, I totally agree that there is a lot of funny business going on with the MMO mechanics in this show ;0 As you pointed out, the fact that they easily beat a raid boss with a small group in Calibur makes it strange that it is suddenly this insane challenge in this arc. The MMO mechanics in this show are basically going to go with the ebb and flow to service whatever plot points the writing wants to advance. I've more or less accepted that, as much of a flaw as it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 86 of 115