• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tomino: Gundam: G no Reconguista Is Half a Year Long

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
however the real problem is if the series will ever get licensed in the US at all?

with bandai ent (who have been the main licensor of the gundam series for years) now six feet under, the chances of this series getting licensed for the US is slim to none.

proof of that is no US company have even licensed one gundam title after bandai closed its doors,let alone those that haven't been released in the US yet like gundam AGE and other new series.

A good point. Nobody has bothered license rescued any of the Gundam titles, and with a rational reason: Gundam never did that well here, outside of Gundam Wing. And that, combined with Sunrise/Bandai not really having a foreign body in NA anymore, means that no new Gundam titles will likely be licensed for release here.

Gundam failed in the US because Bandai in its infinite arrogance expected the american public to like exactly what the japanese public liked. Hence shoehorning on tv a 40 year old series right after Gundam Wing. That's what crashed the Gundam franchise in the US. That and the backstabbing between Bandai and the retail industry vis a vis the gundam toys.

If Bandai had done Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Seed Destiny, and Turn A I bet whatever you like that we'd still see Gundam on the air and quite succesful at that.

There's only one part to blame for the Gundam disaster in the US. And that is Bandai. 100% stupid idiot Japanese arrogance. Well the market responded and gave them the finger.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Can't freaking wait.

AsherFischell wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
Why so short? I hope they have another AU planned.

Studios don't really make full-year shows much any more, with the exception being the big shounen and kids shows. It also doesn't help that most of the fanbase hated AGE. I wouldn't be surprised if Sunrise does what they did with 00 and now Build Fighters and just do a second 2-cour run 6 months-to-a-year later.

Yeah, I could certainly see a split 2-cour run.

I agree, they probably want to get a bead on how it's received before fully committing even if it's mostly planned that way (ofcourse it's possible it'll just be 24-26 eps too). Plus, unlike in the past they also didn't announce in advance such a thing was planned for Build Fighters until way later after it was on air if I remember correctly.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Gundam failed in the US because Bandai in its infinite arrogance expected the american public to like exactly what the japanese public liked. Hence shoehorning on tv a 40 year old series right after Gundam Wing.

0079 probably would have done better had they advertised it better (at all), or maybe if CN gave it a full run instead of stopping it just short of completion. At least they could have said they gave it a full shot.

If I recall, CN even used 9/11 as an excuse not to air it. That's pretty low, exploiting a real life terrorist attack to stop airing a show they didn't like. But that could have just been a rumor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4