• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Men & Women Vote on Which Anime Character They'd Want as a Little Sister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

...I rather have the main girls of Maria-sama as my sisters.

That'd be younger to ME!
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Very weird pool.

Ui won thanks to having been popular among males and Kirino won with males, she would have been my choice as well, while very over the top I identified with the relationship between her and Kyousuke a lot.

I'm going to guess you and anyone else who wants Kirino for a sister has never had a little sister.

Little sisters are very much like Kirino (not in that way, you sickos). This is not a good thing. Not even remotely.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Ayase as a sister literally sounds like the worst thing that could happen. I absolutely hate her xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm a little sad to see No Game, No Life's Shiro didn't make the cut even if she's fairly new to the anime world. I really love her relationship with Sora; as thick as thieves, without the need for an incestuous undertone.

Are you blind, there's all sorts of incestuous undertones in NGNL - just because they're jokes doesn't make them not there. But any male with a younger sister would know you're rarely close - but it depends on the personalities of the two.

Either way picking your 'little sister' is pretty pointless, chances are no matter how cute someone says they are you'll think they are annoying for the same reasons. Sharing space does that xD
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Would have been better if they asked the girls "Which girl do you want to be your onee-sama?" Anime hyper

....Somehow I feel Ui would've still placed high.
Outcaster00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Would have been better if they asked the girls "Which girl do you want to be your onee-sama?" Anime hyper

....Somehow I feel Ui would've still placed high.

when I read that phrase I thought of Miyuki Shiba
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess the majority of the guys are masochists....

Because why would anyone want to be in the same house with Kirino unless they just wanted to be verbally and physically assaulted everyday?

I guess that explains why Haruhi was so popular. Japanese dudes just like to get stepped on I guess.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

I'm going to guess you and anyone else who wants Kirino for a sister has never had a little sister.

Little sisters are very much like Kirino (not in that way, you sickos). This is not a good thing. Not even remotely.

I was always operating under the impression that folks who partook in this sort of thing - even ignoring the fetish aspect and focusing entirely on a benign "I wish I had [this character] for a sibling" - generally did not have siblings in real life.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
If I were unfortunate enough to have Kirino or any of those characters of that God-forsaken-show related to me by blood, I'd annex myself from that family the first chance I'd get and move to some far away country somewhere. It really wouldn't matter where just so long as no one follows me. (no one who isn't willing to take one from a shotgun anyway).

Yeah, I can't say I care for this trope since I know what it's usually played for and the fact that I do have an older sister, but to keep this related to the discussion in some way, if I were to chose what sort of character I'd like a blood relative, I'd take the manga character Yostuba, since it would never be dull at the very least. B
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised in the least that Ui wound up as the overall winner. I'd definitely not mind having her for a sister. Still, I'm perfectly happy with the younger sister that I have in real-life.

Kirino is definitely not someone I'd want for a sister! Sure, my sister and I fought all the time when we were kids, but by the time my sister got to be around Kirino's age, we stopped fighting and got along with each other quite well.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
willydingo wrote:
don't know any of them. Neutral
That's a massive surprise since you've been watching anime since at least 2009 I assume. All of the characters are from pretty popular shows. Though I guess there are those people who only watch shounen anime...

Anyway, to people bashing this poll and calling it all about sex, the fact that Ui won defeats that whole argument IMO. There is nothing sexual about her, ever. She is just a perfect and loving sister who enjoys taking care of Yui and making sure her sister isnt screwing up too much.

I would've voted for Kobato tho, because I'd like my sister to be an otaku at least, and she's super adorable.
Neyodemos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd very much love to have Kotomi Tsuda as my younger sister... would be awesome a sister always cracking wise in her style xD
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kougeru"]
willydingo wrote:
don't know any of them. Neutral
That's a massive surprise since you've been watching anime since at least 2009 I assume. All of the characters are from pretty popular shows. Though I guess there are those people who only watch shounen anime...
/quote]

Are you just don't watch these kind of shows? I guess I don't know what kind of shows these are, but I'm sure they aren't Ghost in the Shell or Macross Plus. I don't watch any shounen anime and I've never heard of these characters. I know the shows, but I don't watch them.

I don't actually get the appeal of this anime sister/waifu stuff. I have a sister and I sure don't go around talking about how cute she is or some other nonsense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
UberAnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Why in the hell is Kirino on this list? What is wrong with these people? Do people not remember how awful she was the entire series?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Different culture have different values and attitudes when it comes to siblings. Someone citing their own sibling, unless they live in Japan, or at least any East Asian culture, is a bit irrelevant. Japan has a much different preset than America does when it comes to family values and how they treat each other.

Zac wrote:
I was always operating under the impression that folks who partook in this sort of thing - even ignoring the fetish aspect and focusing entirely on a benign "I wish I had [this character] for a sibling" - generally did not have siblings in real life.

I've met a few people who have siblings but still do the imouto thing. They often say they wish their own sibling was like them. I don't think there's much cause and correlation between either the fetish angle or the nurturing angle of the issue, though. No more than can be attributed towards similar fantasies, such as people who have a thing for MILFs must not have mothers of their own, for instance. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

-Stuart Smith.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6