• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Psycho killer on the loose.
Tatsumi]
training hard.
spoiler[That Bro guy has to many bromance moments with Tatsumi..]
spoiler[Azuma] really loves her croquette bowls LOL
The history lesson & new info were interesting.
spoiler[No Imperial Arms for Tatsumi yet.]
Guess he's got to earn his.
Going against an spoiler[Imperial Arms user - dangerous.
Tatsumi]
was pretty good in that fight.
However, that spoiler[psycho used an illusion on Akame].
Good thing she didn't hesitate at all.
That girl is truly impressive!
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was another strong one. I am really liking the characterization of Akame. Normally, you would expect a character like her to be an ice queen type, but instead she seems to just be a very intense person who still shows her feelings and emotions. It is a really nice mix. Particularly, I also like the fact that she openly shows that she cares about Tatsumi rather than acting all shy and uncertain around him. Again, it is definitely a reversal of the usual treatment for the leading lady in anime. In the vast majority of shows they would give us this powerful female warrior and then totally disarm her once the male lead shows up on the scene (there are a few really good examples of this recently but I'll leave them alone for now Smile). However, Akame seems to completely keep her cool and all of her strength whether Tatsumi is around or not. In fact, maybe she even shows more strength in protecting him.

There are a lot of reasons why I like this show so much - I really like Tatsumi, and the social commentary going on is just great. Also the action, the mysterious nature of night raid, and the style of the show is a lot of fun. I like the mix of darkness, levity, and emotion. But in episode 4, I was really really happy specifically with how Akame was used. This show is winning on all levels for me right now.
Lord of the Fleas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Can only agree with Stark700, episode went by as if was only 10 minutes long.

What I liked most about it was the tonal consistency. Grimdark and humor just don't mix well, so I appreciate the lack of the latter this time.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we are going to get an arc where the bad guy doesn't go down in the same episode in which he is named. Other than the PM of course.

That aside I am pretty impressed with this anime's ability to entertain. I have started looking forward to the episode each week.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
So we learn more about the specific abilities of everyone's weapons, nice. Also great to see Akame in action. I assume that spoiler[the girl she saw in that illusion is her sister who was mentioned in a previous episode.]

Looks like next episode we'll learn more about Sheele. She seems like one of the nicer members of Night Raid, so I'm curious as to how she got involved with a gang of assassins.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I wonder if we are going to get an arc where the bad guy doesn't go down in the same episode in which he is named. Other than the PM of course.
If you want to know the answer to the question, here it is: spoiler[Yes, and not just one arc.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
I feel like this show doesn't have the ability to start conflict without making it look contrived.

Tatsumi goes off on his own to piss........yes because this is spoiler[always a good idea when you have a killer on the lose who indiscriminately kills people when they are alone.]

Tatsumi see's spoiler[an illusion of his dead friend.
]

Yes Tatsumi. Chase that person you saw who was clearly killed in the first episode. Do not question why she is not saying anything to you and is simply running away. Do not question why she is leading you to a giant empty field far away from your partner. Simply continue to chase her until you can embrace each other in a heartwarming passion of love and understanding. It'll all work out Wink

Can't Tatsumi sense killing intent? That's how he saved Mine last episode. I don't understand why that trick would work on him since the person he was hugging clearly wanted to kill him.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
Jesus, leatherhead333 you are becoming a real ass. You clearly don't like this show, which is perfectly fine, but why are you still here? You've said you can't connect to any of the characters because the whole mix of seriousness and humour freaks you out and you bitch about every little thing. Dude, whining about the "contrivance" of having to take a piss? Give your head a shake. Every action show on earth has things like that to keep the plot moving. Why are you still here? I wish you'd either drop this show or drop dead. Either is fine with me.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
Well, as much as I like this show, leatherhead is right that Tatsumi was acting unusually stupid in spoiler[following the ghost of his dead friend when there is a crazed killer on the loose.] I can understand him going to take a piss, but when he spoiler[follows the ghost and goes to hug it], that was pretty idiotic. I didn't care about it so much because I enjoyed the episode, but it isn't a bad point to make.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Sure common sense dictates some actions not being great, but it is necessity and not something you do in front of a lady. And yeah obviously that event is weighing down on him so much that he won't make the best decisions, clearly the spoiler[guy kept his kill intent back until he would strike.]

So now that they spoiler[killed that guy with the eye artefact, why can't our lead use it]? Oh cool, the preview shows spoiler[him at least trying it on], looks like the idea will at least get acknowledged. I imagine it would be a great tool for an assassin, although almost a little unfair.

Akame is an interesting character, she seems to lack some of the characteristics of an ice queen as she clearly has emotions, and shows she has personality.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well, as much as I like this show, leatherhead is right that Tatsumi was acting unusually stupid in spoiler[following the ghost of his dead friend when there is a crazed killer on the loose.] I can understand him going to take a piss, but when he spoiler[follows the ghost and goes to hug it], that was pretty idiotic. I didn't care about it so much because I enjoyed the episode, but it isn't a bad point to make.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that particular observation. My main point is that leatherhead333 has become my least favourite type of poster: the Turd in the Punchbowl.

TitP posters dislike the show they are watching but will continue to watch simply so they can race back to the discussion thread and whine about every single little thing. I don't object to negative criticisms when they come from posters who have a genuine interest in the show. TitP posters can go to hell, though, because they will never be happy with anything.

The show needed to get Akame and Tatsumi apart. You can bet your bottom dollar that no matter what excuse they came up leatherhead333 would be rolling his eyes and sneering about contrivances.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Lets not have any personal attacks okay. I dislike it when posters be super negative about most shows, like always point out all fallacies in everything that happens. But lets not get personal here.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Yes Tatsumi. Chase that person you saw who was clearly killed in the first episode. Do not question why she is not saying anything to you and is simply running away. Do not question why she is leading you to a giant enemy field far away from your partner. Simply continue to chase her until you can embrace each other in a heartwarming passion of love and understanding. It'll all work out .

Maybe Tatsumi isn't as askeered of the situation as you are. He doesn't see himself as helpless prey dependent on his sempai for protection.

Clearly the power of that magic tool is to befuddle and disorient its target and not just showing an illusion. Note that the SAME EFFECT was later used onspoiler[ Akame and the Executioner fully expected it to work on her regardless of] whether the illusion was someone dead or alive. In fact he spoiler[bet his life on it and lost, but not because the effect didn't work but because it DID.] He simply didn't count on spoiler[Akame's] ruthlessness.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Clearly the power of that magic tool is to befuddle and disorient its target and not just showing an illusion. Note that the SAME EFFECT was later used onspoiler[ Akame and the Executioner fully expected it to work on her regardless of] whether the illusion was someone dead or alive. In fact he spoiler[bet his life on it and lost, but not because the effect didn't work but because it DID.] He simply didn't count on spoiler[Akame's] ruthlessness.

Yea but Akame still clearly had her wits about her, since when the villain spoiler[said "HAHA, she is seeing her most loved one so she won't be able to attack!!!" Akame responded by saying "It's because I love her that I will kill her." The illusion worked on her, but she didn't care whether it was an illusion or not], she still understood that the villain was in front of her and intended to carry out her mission. Yea, we can accept the fact that Tatsumi is more of an idiot than Akame, but I guess that's the point of the criticism. Like I said, it wasn't a big criticism for me because it didn't detract and I suppose I don't mind if Tatsumi is more of an idiot than Akame right now, but it isn't a false point to make.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Yea but Akame still clearly had her wits about her, since when the villain spoiler[said "HAHA, she is seeing her most loved one so she won't be able to attack!!!" Akame responded by saying "It's because I love her that I will kill her." The illusion worked on her, but she didn't care whether it was an illusion or not], she still understood that the villain was in front of her and intended to carry out her mission. Yea, we can accept the fact that Tatsumi is more of an idiot than Akame, but I guess that's the point of the criticism. Like I said, it wasn't a big criticism for me because it didn't detract and I suppose I don't mind if Tatsumi is more of an idiot than Akame right now, but it isn't a false point to make.

My opinion is that the person spoiler[she cared about the most was an assassin, maybe someone she already had to face with having to try and kill each other, and thus why she would not hesitate].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 35