• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
To add to this silly scenario why does Rinka need to even worry about hand to hand combat? She spoiler[can pass through things. Her power is pretty much the same as Tobi’s from Naruto. Couldn’t she have just phased through all her attacks?] I don’t get it…

Minor spoiler: spoiler[She can only pass through inanimate objects. Living things can still hit her.]
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can someone tell me what the point of the first episode was again? I mean they spent an entire episode having random people getting into random fights giving us no real explanation on who they were only to for some reason resort to a flashback telling us what happened prior to ESP even existing?

It worked well enough for me, it added a sense of urgency to newer episodes.Plus, it is not as if the first episode was incoherent or hard to understand, after the episode I was genuinely interested in seeing how these events came to be and who the White Girl really was.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't hard to understand but I still don't understand why they did that way. They are basically spoiling how the first arc is going to play out. We are going to meet all the people who showed up in the first episode learn about them, hopefully actually care about them and it all leads up the the chaotic mess that was the first episode. The suspense for these characters possibly getting killed, hurt etc. up to that point is ruined.

Rinka was being built up to be this awesome super hero that all the mutants look up too but now that they have suddenly changed the tone to simple slice of life super powered kids shenanigans I find that transition to just look sloppy. And if I'm not mistaken the source material this is based off of didn't start with the fight against the rouge espers so that clues into thinking they didn't think the beginning of the arc had enough of an edge (which shows very little confidence in story itself). Either way i think it kind of backfired because you have some folks who go "booo where is my action at?" and others who go "why didn't they just start here?". Of course there are people inbetween such as yourself but you get the idea.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
It's a pretty common set up. It's basically a tease to let viewers know what to expect later and also get them wondering how Rinka will go from an ordinary girl to total badass. If it doesn't work for you, fine, but it's a perfectly legitimate and proven way to go about things.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I liked these first 2 episodes a lot better than Gai Rei Zero's first 2 episodes. With Gai Rei Zero I felt like they just gave away too much with what was shown... it made me really not interested in any of the characters since I already knew most of their fates (character development, personal issues they were going threw, non of it mattered)

With ESP they did it a lot better. Letting us know a huge conflict is coming and a rag tag team of espers is forming to take on the challenges.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It wasn't hard to understand but I still don't understand why they did that way. They are basically spoiling how the first arc is going to play out. We are going to meet all the people who showed up in the first episode learn about them, hopefully actually care about them and it all leads up the the chaotic mess that was the first episode. The suspense for these characters possibly getting killed, hurt etc. up to that point is ruined.

I didn't read manga for this one, but I think it's safe to say that anime will remain rather "safe" until that point in future.Meaning that source of entertainment won't come from suspense but from other sources.Like in second episode I never doubted that Rinka won't pull through her hardships, but the episode itself was still very entertaining.That flashforward is trying to sell the events we saw in first episode as turning point, so they can seem like thay are bigger and more dangerous than they actually are.It is trying to hype that moment, seemingly increase the stakes and signal us how that is the moment when someone might actually get hurt.For a show like TokyoESP, I think that works.
Quote:
Rinka was being built up to be this awesome super hero that all the mutants look up too but now that they have suddenly changed the tone to simple slice of life super powered kids shenanigans I find that transition to just look sloppy.

Vaisaga nailed it, I am now much more interested in seeing how Rinka developed into a complete badass.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Can someone tell me what the point of the first episode was again? I mean they spent an entire episode having random people getting into random fights giving us no real explanation on who they were only to for some reason resort to a flashback telling us what happened prior to ESP even existing?

The second episode was effectively the first and second chapter of the manga, the first episode was all material from the end of the first major arc. The differences were that 1. in the manga she was in her underwear, not naked, 2. some bullies were making fun of her being poor, and 3. her hair was always white rather than it changing color with her powers.

They also didn't get into that her father spoiler[is an ex police officer and that this is how she has some decent combat skills,] but I assume they'll get into that eventually.

Quote:
It wasn't hard to understand but I still don't understand why they did that way. They are basically spoiling how the first arc is going to play out.

I suppose they just felt the second episode wasn't big enough, was a bit too slow burn. I don't know that I agree, but it was fine.

Quote:

Vaisaga nailed it, I am now much more interested in seeing how Rinka developed into a complete badass.

I met him in a swamp down in #######, where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda. . .
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Japan, for the loving shots of Rinka'sspoiler[ naked boobs and ass] when I was watching this in a room full of people. Rolling Eyes

I recognize what they were trying to do here and I think it works most times, but there was something in the transition that didn't feel as well executed as it could have been. I think dedicating only half of the first episode to the "spoiler" and then cutting to spoiler[Rinka finding out about her powers and stopping her father] would've worked better. The first episode now seems kind of like a waste, since we're bound to see the exact same things once again at some point in the future.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Thank you, Japan, for the loving shots of Rinka'sspoiler[ naked boobs and ass] when I was watching this in a room full of people. Rolling Eyes

well, now you'll be more cautions about watching anime in a room full of people
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Puh, only the weak have a sense of shame! So sayeth I, the one who watched Strike Witches at my university's library (and later showed it at anime club)!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Puh, only the weak have a sense of shame! So sayeth I, the one who watched Strike Witches at my university's library (and later showed it at anime club)!

That's too tame. You gotta watch Yosuga no Sora on a surround sound system with both your room door and balcony door open in addition to calling one of your siblings in to view it with you.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well my first reaction is "eh, that's it?". I mean first episode build up the return of white hair as some superhero, and then we see her fight some esper without her power and win (you know what that do when you do that? It just make me think the bad guys, and the good guys that get beaten by the bad guys, are just a bunch of incompetent jester), then the very next thing is a long fan service segment… our hero folks, respect her!

So yeah, bait and switch much (this is worse than gargantia), first episode, serious fight between humanity and esper, with lots of action, second episode; wacky hijinx, fan service and so many plot hole I'd classify this more in the comedy department than anything else.

Worse is, I'm sure I could have liken it, I'm all for light hearted stuff, but the disconnect between 1 and 2 is just so much it feel like there trying to sneak this in as something its not.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Um, they're not trying to sneak anything in. The fact that the first episode started in the midst of what looked like climactic events should have been a tip-off that they were going to bounce back and show how things came to pass. As others have said, it's a very common storytelling arrangement and one that's hardly limited to just anime; some of the greatest of all live-action movies have used it, in fact.

And it's not like the content of the second episode deviated all that much. It had significant action components and lots of power usage, and as for being light-hearted - well, did you really get the impression from the first episode that the "white-haired girl" was going to prove to be a very somber character? Besides, anime series which start out light-hearted but later turn serious are a dime a dozen.

Sorry, but I think you're grasping at straws for reasons to criticize the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Um, they're not trying to sneak anything in. The fact that the first episode started in the midst of what looked like climactic events should have been a tip-off that they were going to bounce back and show how things came to pass. As others have said, it's a very common storytelling arrangement and one that's hardly limited to just anime; some of the greatest of all live-action movies have used it, in fact.

And it's not like the content of the second episode deviated all that much. It had significant action components and lots of power usage, and as for being light-hearted - well, did you really get the impression from the first episode that the "white-haired girl" was going to prove to be a very somber character? Besides, anime series which start out light-hearted but later turn serious are a dime a dozen.

Sorry, but I think you're grasping at straws for reasons to criticize the show.

Hmm...

First episode: Multiple people are being killed by espers as they declare war. Kept jumping to different instances where they attack helpless people. Mood is consistently dark.

Second episode: One of the first things we see is our MC naked which gives an old man a boner. spoiler[She obtains her power by comically following a flying penguin]. She helps herspoiler[ father] in a situation that was never that was never really that serious (especially with what happens afterwards). Dude who hangs out with the MC take us to aspoiler[ robbery ordeal] which gets solved rather easily. He makes a silly speech to spoiler[the cops who have no reason to believe him.]

Idk maybe it's just me but i think brutal murder of innocent people taken to superpowered slice of life shenanigans is a pretty big tone shift. This type of story telling is common but that doesn't mean the transition here was done in proper fashion imo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
I would agree with the comment that comedy played a larger role in episode 2 compared to the first and this can be seen as a change in tone but for me that is zero problem. If there is one thing that anime has taught me is that, frequently, comedy and seriousness exist side by side or alternate. I liked the tone of episode one. I liked the tone of episode two. The fact that they are different in parts doesn't freak me out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10