• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q3-2014 Round.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to point out rule 2G for this one...
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't think so. It's a memorable character. It even has a name.

Hint 1: spoiler["She" is but a small part of a much larger collection.]
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what the problem is when we can post cats and dogs without any problems. Or guns, for that matter.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Hint 2: spoiler[She is kept by an expert ice-skater.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
I don't see what the problem is when we can post cats and dogs without any problems. Or guns, for that matter.

Don't recall guns being used, but animals can be characters no problem. This current one is just some round disc thing. Looks like it belongs in the mini-game, not the main one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
I agree with Vaisaga; the "character" looks like a coaster. If I didn't know there was supposed to be a character in that picture I never would have guessed that there was one. That's a clear violation of the rule in question.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
As long as this is an actual character I don't have a problem with it. For example would dtm42 and Vaisaga accept a character in weapon form from Soul Eater? To someone who has seen the show it would make perfect sense.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Is it spoiler["Francoise" from Ranma 1/2 (actually just a naruto (as in the fish cake things for ramen, not the ninja from an entirely different anime), which Azusa gave a name to)].

This is definitely not a character. I personally don't think rule 2G should exist, but even if it didn't exist, there is no way you could call this a character. Just because someone picks up random objects and gives them names, that doesn't make them characters. Abunai previously said that in order to be a valid character, something has to have a voice actor, or be a major character from something with no dialogue. I personally think those guidelines are too strict, but regardless, a random piece of food that a character decided to name isn't a character. If it isn't living, can't communicate, can't think, and can't move, then I don't see how it can be a character even if it has a name.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
... Yeah, I think something has to have some degree of sentience in order to be a character.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Calathan is correct. I apologise for picking an ambiguous character.

Maybe murph76 could adjudicate?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
As long as this is an actual character I don't have a problem with it.

Even if it was a character (which we now know it's not), and you didn't have a problem with it, the picture still violates 2G.

Cam0 wrote:
For example would dtm42 and Vaisaga accept a character in weapon form from Soul Eater? To someone who has seen the show it would make perfect sense.

But to anyone who hasn't seen the show the characters would look like just another inanimate scythe or whatever, making it a clear violation of 2G.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Getting rid of things that people who haven't seen the show wouldn't recognize would eliminate some of the more interesting pictures, though. Whether something is or is not a character is mostly defined by the context of the show, how could someone who doesn't know what show it is tell?
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Raftina wrote:

Don't recall guns being used, but animals can be characters no problem. This current one is just some round disc thing. Looks like it belongs in the mini-game, not the main one.

That is an issue with your memory or knowledge.

gun
motorcycle
tank
starship
robot leg that's indistinguishable from the motorcycle

There was a train from the Galactic Railroad franchise somewhere as well, but I can't find it. I am sure there are more examples.

Given the wide range of sapient beings in anime, it's quite foolish to assume animals are characters but inanimate objects are not. Why should I assume that an anime with no obvious anthropomorphic features is a character--only the poster's assertion that it is, by posting the picture. But I give the same benefit of the doubt to someone who posts what appears to be an inanimate object.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Rule 2G is a little open to interpretation, since it relies on what other people would think are characters. I personally would think any vehicle, weapon, mecha, etc. posted in this thread is a character, since I've seen anime where those kinds of things are alive and if someone is posting it in this thread then they are most likely correct that it is a character. If everyone else were to think that way, then things like that would technically pass rule 2G. Also, Key once posted a picture of a character who was in the form of a sword, and since he is a moderator that would seem to suggest that characters in the form of objects are acceptable.

I think this image was one of the ones that most gave me pause upon seeing it, along with a couple that have just looked like glowing balls of light (the one after that gun one Raftina linked to, and one from Pokémon Heroes that Raftina used once). However, I personally think anything that actually is a sentient being (or anything that acts like it is sentient, even if it isn't truly sentient . . . I wouldn't want to exclude something like a robot who is clearly a character even if it might not truly be sentient) should be acceptable, and there is no need to require it to look like it is alive. This is the first image that has been used that I know of where I would say the thing used wasn't really a character. In general, I'm willing to trust people when they say something is a character. So in my opinion rule 2G should be removed (but please make sure what you post are actually characters).

Anyway, here is the next character:

HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Heero crossdressing from Gundam Wing?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 57