• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Negima

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
Ragg wrote:
Quote:
Ack, the best part of the manga ARE the battles.

I guess this is where the line is drawn for who likes/dislikes the second season of Negima.

Battles or Fanservice. Take your pick.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Ragg wrote:
Quote:
Ack, the best part of the manga ARE the battles.

I guess this is where the line is drawn for who likes/dislikes the second season of Negima.

Battles or Fanservice. Take your pick.

Except that none of the incarnations I've seen really have good fanservice but poor battles. The manga has both, the anime has neither, and the impression I get is that the remake seems to favor battles to fanservice.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
New Negima looks amazing, Xebec's awful "effort" aint got nothing on this. Colors are vibrant, movements smooth and lots of details pepper each scene.

To be fair, when Xebec got it right, they got it good. Background art was consistently good and, on the DVD at any rate, there was some good character animation also (for example)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
beezis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Pleroma wrote:
New Negima looks amazing, Xebec's awful "effort" aint got nothing on this. Colors are vibrant, movements smooth and lots of details pepper each scene.

To be fair, when Xebec got it right, they got it good. Background art was consistently good and, on the DVD at any rate, there was some good character animation also (for example)

I guess the dvd did do a better job, but the art is still rather lazy looking when compared to anything that didn't purposely have bad art that was done in the last 5 years, even with the touch ups done.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bahumut75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first episode so far myself. I did really like the first one, and this new one is really different. Of course, the first episode isn't really enough for me to figure out if I'm going to like it or not (although I must admit I spend most of the time thinking about how it was different). I'll give it a few more episodes before I pass any personal judgment on it though. Wink
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
the best part about the first episode was all the stuff written on the board, when I saw "I have no undies on" I just had to lol.
bahumut75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, after watching the second episode I can say that this new series is shaping up to be way different from the first one, as I kind of figured from the first episode. Aside from the glaringly obvious things like the animation, the biggest thing that seems different to me, is that the whole series seems to be more serious than the original. It has been quite some time since I've seen the first one, and I did only watch it once, so my memory of it probably isnt crystal clear, but spoiler[everything seemed alot more comical in the first one, even the fights between Negi and Evangeline were more comical in nature than they really were about the two of them duking it out, and from the first 2 episodes of this, it looks like theres a more serious play on the magicall element. Negi also seems so far, to be a bit more competant with his magic than he used to be.] The last thing that I've noticed, and you can correct me if I'm wrong because I don't quite remember but spoiler[wasn't the Thousand Master kind of a fraud in the first one? Like the only thing he ever really managed to get off right was the spell on Evangeline, but in this one (judging from the scenes they intercut), he seems more like the real thing.]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the second ep yet, but the thing with the Thousand Master was that he was spoiler[practical. He wasn't the master of a thousand spells, but he could do several of them really well, and had a lot of innate power so they hit a lot harder than normal, and then he would use clever planning to make that limited library work for him. So he should be represented as a poweerful mage, just not the most versitile one. ]
bahumut75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah thanks for that clear up, but regardless he seems to be represented rather differently in the new one Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
You could compare Nagi with Yue: she is very intelligent yet is a member of the Baka Rangers since she just doesn't like studying, he is an immensely powerful mage yet dropped out of school for essentially the same reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Foo202

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
ya negima is the first manga I started to collect and then when watching the anime, it does not do it justic, only one episode for the kanto trip which covers 3 books, all of the characters that arnt introduced or developed, I just hope this new negima does a better job of creating something of a storyline
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
The first series had a storyline, it just wasn't exactly the same as the manga. This does not automatically make it bad.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I am very much beginning to find the use of sliding panels as a very very novel technique. Not only does it allow animation to show multiple view points simultaneously, it allows gradual transition within a section of the story.

For example, the part where Negi attempted to erase Asuna's memory. Negi starts to chant the spell; then at the same time, you see Asuna's reaction... and so on.

It's a very quick and efficient method of getting on with a scene -- without showing the whole as a "still frame" or constant flipping of "camera angles".
Hisdon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Just me or does this series have A LOT of look alikes? So far I already noticed a Rei (big time, even has red eyes) and an Asamaria (Chrno Crusade), a lot of the rest just really remind me of other characters. This intended or am I just looking into it too hard? Razz

Also, in the fansubs out atm, is them saying Dracula a bad translation of vampire? It just doesn't sound right the way they use it.
m00nshine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I have really enjoyed the first episodes of this series. The animation is much better and it seems to be moving at a better pace. Has action and is still funny. No complaints from me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5