• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hō Visual Novel's Opening Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Love the music and the atmosphere, but man, I forgot about Ryuukishi07's art. I suppose that's part of the games' charms Laughing

I'm glad the manga and anime didn't stick with it though.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
You know, I always say how much I love the manga and the anime. Think maybe it's high-time I played the game.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Love the music and the atmosphere, but man, I forgot about Ryuukishi07's art. I suppose that's part of the games' charms Laughing

I'm glad the manga and anime didn't stick with it though.

Yes, every time I see those character designs I think, "Wow, those are dreadful". It just kind of looks unprofessional to me.

edit: although it is technically dojin so I guess that's the excuse.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
I've completely forgot about the ham hands due to the ps2 sprite patches...

I wish he would do something like RGD again and have guest artists do the artwork.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I've completely forgot about the ham hands due to the ps2 sprite patches...

I wish he would do something like RGD again and have guest artists do the artwork.

those were from the manga artist who did the adaptations of when they cry.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:

edit: although it is technically dojin so I guess that's the excuse.

Though the thing is buddy has TONS of fans who can draw. He needs to let someone take over that area. Like for Gun Rose Days.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
How long has it been again since the latest Higurashi? But man, I guess Ryukishi doesn't want this franchise to die, at all. But I love Higurashi so I guess I'll check it out.

I agree that it would be much much better if he asks other artists to do the drawings. I think Ryukishi's art has been improving a lot (see Claudia Kurosaki in RGD for example) but the ones he did in Higurashi are just... bad. He can write great scenarios but for drawing, I guess he should give the part to someone else.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Ahh great news indeed. I truly wonder how the outbreak vn arc will differ from the recent 60 minute ova. Also I'm quite curious to see what r7 has planned for the other arc's as well.

Oh yeah I also recently got wind that higurashi ni ho when released will have all nine arcs "rei has never been released here", in a complete set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You know, I always say how much I love the manga and the anime. Think maybe it's high-time I played the game.

The sound novels are excellent. But boy are they LONG.
Still, one hell of a story, I highly recommend it.

After the first series and Geneon's subsequent collapse, I really thought I would never see any more (I do not torrent).

Mangagamer bailed me out.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I may be in the minority, but I actually like Ryukishi07's art. There are patches for Higurashi and Umineko that replace the character sprites with those from the console versions. I prefer Ryukishi07's original art. It has more of a doujin, handmade "charm" to it, not like the bland, generic PS sprites. Also, when it comes to expressions, the original art is much more expressive.

prime_pm wrote:

I would definitely recommend it (as well as trying Umineko).

Keep in mind, there are a lot of patches available for MangaGamer's release to improve the experience: adding in original BGM tracks cut for copyright reasons, fixing translation typos, adding the console port art, improving the graphical UI, changing the font.

Although MangaGamer is also releasing a whole new translation for the game's entry to Steam, so we'll see how that goes.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Another visual novel for this franchise? But what else is there to tell? And what happened to the other story after Umineko? It's like no one talks about that. I hope that one day we will see a license for the rest of the series as well as the first one.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Another visual novel for this franchise? But what else is there to tell? And what happened to the other story after Umineko? It's like no one talks about that. I hope that one day we will see a license for the rest of the series as well as the first one.

If your are curious I will just leave r7's announcement here in English for what hou will be about. Also if you have seen the higurashi outbreak ova which came out last year, it is getting a more in depth vn arc.

"What is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou?"

Hello, and nice to meet you. I am Ryuukishi07.
A PC novel game that 07th Expansion, the doujin circle I represent, released at the 2002 summer Comic Market:
that is "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni".

Centered around the series of mysterious deaths and disappearances occurring on the stage of the fictional village "Hinamizawa", we have announced and brought you "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni", "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai", and "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei" in a serial format over four years.

"Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou", which we are announcing today, contains:

* the first ever script version of the unreleased work "Hinamizawa Teiryuujo" (Hinamizawa Bus Stop) that was the precursor to "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni";
* the extra story that was written at the time of announcement of Higurashi Daybreak, "Higurashi Outbreak";
* and, a new arc written specially for this, "Higurashi Outbreak: Kamikanshi-hen".

All the arcs of "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" that we have announced in the past are included.

The title, "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 奉(Hou)" uses the character 奉 from 奉納(hounou, dedication), and expresses our feelings of thanks to the many people who have loved our works so far, and our gratitude for our good fortune in being able to announce them.

Our hope is that it will be played not only by those who have loved Higurashi up until now,
but also those who will learn of Higurashi for the first time.

We have packed all of "Higurashi" in here.

Nice to meet you, Hinamizawa.
And, welcome home, to Hinamizawa.

We present to you old and fond memories, and new tales.

Ryuukishi07
All the staff at 07th Expansion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Eh, wait... If I remember it correctly there is a manga about Hinamizawa bus stop. Something like AU where spoiler[Rika is an high school girl with Mion as her school mate (yeah, they're around the same age if I remember correctly, unlike the main timeline.]

Also, according to interview with Ryukishi,
Quote:
Ryukishi07 stated that Higurashi had its origins from an unpublished theater script called Hinamizawa Teiryūjo (雛見沢停留所, lit. Hinamizawa Bus Stop) he had written a few years before the first Higurashi game was released.

Now I am really curious how that script would work for theater.

Though I am much more curious with the untranslated DS and PS2 scenarios in Kizuna and Matsuri.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Now I am really curious how that script would work for theater.

Actually, the first chapter (Demoned Away) was adapted into a doujin opera.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFYTFaI7Y6k
And club activities scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypAimcbxuyA
And a song by Tomitake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLeZ93ceYU
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Rose Guns Days or Higanbana? Either way, I can see plenty of reasons why they didn't make it big.

For the both of them, neither is a member of the WTC series, and so they don't attract the same fans. Also, many WTC fans hated Umineko Chiru (Which is a shame, since it's my personal favorite entry in the series,) so I can see them being disillusioned about R07's works in general. To top it off, neither got anime adaptations, due to DEEN's pretty awful OVAs and Umineko adaptations selling really poorly, and neither are likely to get an anime soon.

Why hasn't Higanbana taken off here? Well, a lot of people dislike R07's art, and since there's no console port, they'd have to sit through it. And unlike Higurashi and Umineko, Higanbana's manga is awful.

And for Rose Guns Days? Well, I actually don't know. RGD is fantastic, even better than Higurashi, in my opinion, so I don't get why it hasn't taken off. Well, I mean, there's almost no violence or gore, moe or sex appeal, there's a lot of political and historical references, but it's a great story, and the manga adaptations are pretty A++ too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1