• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Teenage Party Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Well this week's Answerman was very interesting to read, I have no other additional comments I want to add into this. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
scowler wrote:
Naoki Urasawa's Monster anime adaptation is another one available in Australia but not in the USA. (Viz, please fix this. Pretty please?)

Add Dennou Coil to the list of Australian exclusives. That show is a rare gem.

Yet another: Kaiba. Kaiba and Dennou Coil were the two shows I went out of my way to snag from Siren, with the recent release of Nichijou (and its lack of any US release on the horizon) being the only other one that's really actively tempted me.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I really need to look into getting a region-free setup and raiding some of the more under-appreciated Australian licenses at some point. Kaiba and Dennou Coil are absolute musts.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
The US has Higurashi and Karin.

Don't know about Karin, but only Siren Visual has Higurashi Kai, which completes the core anime experience.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
The US has Higurashi and Karin.

Don't know about Karin, but only Siren Visual has Higurashi Kai, which completes the core anime experience.

I actually have the complete set myself and got it before genon usa went under. Still you want to talk about price gouged...
http://www.amazon.com/Karin-Complete-Series-Chelsea-Curto/dp/B003152YZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404532837&sr=8-1&keywords=karin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samo2222

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, Australian and UK releases are cursed by the PAL format. The exclusives from Siren Visual are usually great, but I could have sworn that Madman's Nichijou DVD has been sped up a noticeable amount, on the TV broadcast at least.

I still get Siren Visual's releases but I stay away from Madman's because I know the same show is usually available in the US and hasn't been converted to look worse.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
I know one release at least that uses the same script as it's simulcast version. Sentai's release of the 1st season of Koihime Musou used the same script that Crunchyroll used for their version. That's with typos and mistranslations.

Blanchimont wrote:
There have been rare instances when a disc release had more censoring than the broadcast version, latest Nisekoi. Whether by goof-up or intentionally, the debate is still up...

Wait, Nisekoi is censored more on the home video version? What's there to censor? The only thing that I noticed that they censored on the broadcast version throughout the whole show was that hot springs episode.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
I know one release at least that uses the same script as it's simulcast version. Sentai's release of the 1st season of Koihime Musou used the same script that Crunchyroll used for their version. That's with typos and mistranslations.

Blanchimont wrote:
There have been rare instances when a disc release had more censoring than the broadcast version, latest Nisekoi. Whether by goof-up or intentionally, the debate is still up...

Wait, Nisekoi is censored more on the home video version? What's there to censor? The only thing that I noticed that they censored on the broadcast version throughout the whole show was that hot springs episode.

It's not so much censored as just changed unnecessarily. Backgrounds are replaced entirely for generic sparkly backgrounds in some scenes. That type of stuff.

Edit: Here's the link showing some of the changes. http://www.otakutale.com/2014/nisekoi-tv-blu-ray-comparisons/
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
I know about US releases, as I do look to them in hopes of seeing Aussie companies like Madman and Hanabee bring the series here. I've also noticed that Hanabee seems to be bringing over AoA and Sentai titles here, like the Monogatari series and Kokoro Connect being a couple of examples.

I've only recently looked into UK releases, but that is only because of Zero's Familiar. I find it strange that Sentai has confirmed seasons 1 and 4, Hanabee have released season 1, while the UK's MVM Entertainment have confirmed seasons 1-3.

I just wonder why Hanabee/Sentai haven't said anything about seasons 2 and 3, and why Hanabee/MVM have nothing on 4.

Personally, my preference is to wait and give my $ to Australian licensees, but I wouldn't have a problem going Hanabee (s1), MVM (s2&3), and Sentai (s4) to own a series that is close to my heart. Laughing

Lastly, I find it strange that Sentai had the rights to season 4 before season 1, but season 4's release date is nonexistent. They've been sitting on it for almost 2 years now. I'd speculate and say it is because they're trying to get seasons 2 and 3. Which leads me to ask, why was MVM able to get their hands on seasons 2 and 3 but Sentai hasn't been able to?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Is the PAL stuff still an issue then? I thought the whole PAL vs. NTSC thing died out with CRTs back in the early '00s?

As for importing stats, my collection of 168 is 8.3% from AU, 6.0% from UK, 79.2% from US, and 6.5% from JP. The US number may be a bit inflated though due to a few anime being split into single disc releases Rolling Eyes
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Is the PAL stuff still an issue then? I thought the whole PAL vs. NTSC thing died out with CRTs back in the early '00s?

Not when it comes to DVDs. They're still encoded to match the traditional domestic television standard of the country in which they are released. US DVDs are in NTSC; Australians in PAL.

I do wish Siren would consider releasing some shows on Blu-ray, especially Dennou Coil. I'm pretty sure it was one of the early HD productions. I believe I read somewhere that Blu-ray has not really expanded all that widely in Australia so perhaps the market just isn't there. Madman does sell BR releases, but I only saw live-action films when I skimmed their inventory. Perhaps it's a problem getting the Blu-ray rights because of fears of reverse importation.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I do wish Siren would consider releasing some shows on Blu-ray, especially Dennou Coil. I'm pretty sure it was one of the early HD productions. I believe I read somewhere that Blu-ray has not really expanded all that widely in Australia so perhaps the market just isn't there. Madman does sell BR releases, but I only saw live-action films when I skimmed their inventory. Perhaps it's a problem getting the Blu-ray rights because of fears of reverse importation.

IIRC, Australia is Region B like the UK, so reverse importation for anime would only be a concern on a region-free Blu-ray. The 1980s animated Transformers: The Movie was released by Madman on Blu-ray (I have a copy) as either region-free or Region A/B (my Blu-ray player is Region A).
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Not when it comes to DVDs. They're still encoded to match the traditional domestic television standard of the country in which they are released. US DVDs are in NTSC; Australians in PAL.

Ah I see. I watch all my anime on my PC (don't even own a TV anymore), so it's not really an issue for me even with DVDs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Easily overcome by a multi-region DVD player.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

It's not so much censored as just changed unnecessarily. Backgrounds are replaced entirely for generic sparkly backgrounds in some scenes. That type of stuff.

Edit: Here's the link showing some of the changes. http://www.otakutale.com/2014/nisekoi-tv-blu-ray-comparisons/

Well, here's your problem, it's Shaft. It's called, what's a term to use, "impact", where you want to drop out the background in order to put viewer emphasis on the foreground? Its use is nothing new, changing footage prior to home release is nothing new, complaining about it ... I think that's a new one but complaining about Shaft's broadcast versions is nothing new.

Censorship? No.
Unnecessary? Depends on how many years you spent directing animation yourself; "The focus shouldn't be on them, it should be on the random background characters!" "The clouds, what about the clouds!?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3