• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, June 30-July 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Love Live has officially sold over 100k BD in the space of three weeks. It's officially the best selling TV anime on Blu Ray ever and if I'm not mistake I believe it may also be the best selling TV anime overall ever as well. But I think I may be wrong, unless someone else wants to clarify.

For how determined people like yourself seem to be to prove the worth of this show through its meaningless Blu-ray sales, I still don't care about it. It's almost as if you're just trying to legitimatize the existence of it solely because of its impressive Blu-ray sales. Acting as if that is any indication of quality, because I've seen a lot of movies and TV shows, and let me tell you, shit sells. And it wouldn't have even sold HALF that much if it weren't for the obvious incentives made to buy, and I'm sure more than a few crazed "otaku" bought more than one copy for that exact reason. It may be the best selling TV anime ever but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of it or all of the other anime out there in any way.

Another point of interest, why does it seem as though a majority of fans are more obsessed with pointing out sales of a particular product rather than the quality or the actual anime itself? Why are we (a blanket term by the way) seemingly so much more interested in trivial things such as that, rather than what sets it apart from the rest of the sludge inhabiting the industry? My tone is mostly negative, and for that I apologize. I'm just a heavily cynical person, that's all.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
For one it can determine the likelihood of a sequel. Besides, nobody wants to see their favorite show perform poorly, even for those on American TV; the main difference is that anime tends to run for only one quarter or one half of a year. Beyond that, plenty of people with an obsession like to know the relevant statistics(like sports junkies); why should we be any different?
The_way67

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
"Kill la Kill 7 (Limited Complete Pressing) 7,185 7,185"

Is that good or bad for Kill la Kill?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

For how determined people like yourself seem to be to prove the worth of this show through its meaningless Blu-ray sales, I still don't care about it.

Meaningless, do you have any idea how many profits LL got from those disc sales?

Why are you in this thread if you don't care about sales? Is it such a crime for us of those who do to discuss it? Why is it so strange to want shows you like do good? No matter what medium, be it anime or western, or even sports you like. i.e, if football suddenly become unprofitable(will never happen, since its the most popular sport in the world), a lot of people would be pissed off/unhappy.

Quote:
It may be the best selling TV anime ever but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of it or all of the other anime out there in any way.

Whats your point? You really think anybody here has their enjoyment affected by sales numbers?

Quote:

Another point of interest, why does it seem as though a majority of fans are more obsessed with pointing out sales of a particular product rather than the quality or the actual anime itself? Why are we (a blanket term by the way) seemingly so much more interested in trivial things such as that, rather than what sets it apart from the rest of the sludge inhabiting the industry? My tone is mostly negative, and for that I apologize. I'm just a heavily cynical person, that's all.

Quality is subjective, sales are objective. Sales also aren't as trivial as you seem to think. Without them, we would see a lot less anime get produced.

The_way67 wrote:
"Kill la Kill 7 (Limited Complete Pressing) 7,185 7,185"

Is that good or bad for Kill la Kill?

With current average of 10k+, its doing really good.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Meaningless, do you have any idea how many profits LL got from those disc sales?

Why are you in this thread if you don't care about sales? Is it such a crime for us of those who do to discuss it? Why is it so strange to want shows you like do good? No matter what medium, be it anime or western, or even sports you like. i.e, if football suddenly become unprofitable(will never happen, since its the most popular sport in the world), a lot of people would be pissed off/unhappy.

It may be the best selling TV anime ever but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of it or all of the other anime out there in any way.

Quality is subjective, sales are objective. Sales also aren't as trivial as you seem to think. Without them, we would see a lot less anime get produced.

I'm going to have to back Jayhosh here. Sales do not determine the quality of something. What does is the quality of something. If something has an engaging story, with colorful characters, not to mention great acting, direction, visuals, art, music, then regardless how much it sells, it becomes something OBJECTIVELY noteworthy. As Love Live lacks all of these, bar perhaps snippets of animation, it cannot be called good. Oh and sales=/=less anime. Sales in 2004 were something like 400 billion yen, now it's not even 100 billion, yet there's more anime being made. Also, if pandering is what makes anime popular rather than quality, the industry deserves to take some kind of hit. If you're not going to put any effort, don't even try. Some of the richest people in the world have easy jobs, relative to nurses, firemen and police officers, who get relatively shit pay. The ones who put in effort should be rewarded, while the ones who put in zero effort should take the biggest hit. It's a farce Escaflowne(at least in it's first run) and Big O failed in Japan, while Love Live and crap like Aikatsu are Sunrise's/Bandai Visual's top IPs after Gundam.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
If something has an engaging story, with colorful characters, not to mention great acting, direction, visuals, art, music, then regardless how much it sells, it becomes something OBJECTIVELY noteworthy. As Love Live lacks all of these, bar perhaps snippets of animation, it cannot be called good.
It's a farce Escaflowne(at least in it's first run) and Big O failed in Japan, while Love Live and crap like Aikatsu are Sunrise's/Bandai Visual's top IPs after Gundam.

The Nose Show and Japanese Batman are good in your opinion? Right.

You should actually watch these shows you pan, you might be surprised.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:

I'm going to have to back Jayhosh here. Sales do not determine the quality of something.

Quote me where I said that.

Quote:
it becomes something OBJECTIVELY noteworthy. As Love Live lacks all of these, bar perhaps snippets of animation, it cannot be called good.

In your opinion*
Which, by the way, is not objective.

Quote:
Oh and sales=/=less anime. Sales in 2004 were something like 400 billion yen, now it's not even 100 billion, yet there's more anime being made.

We get more anime, but those also include a lot of 1-cour shows and 3min shows.

They need money to be produced. If a series gets really good sales, it has a really big chance on getting a sequel, its not hard to understand why people put so much focus on the sales of late night tv anime.

Quote:

Also, if pandering is what makes anime popular rather than quality, the industry deserves to take some kind of hit. If you're not going to put any effort, don't even try.

People buy something if they like the series & want the extras included in the BDs. If they like it, its a quality series to them.
superunature

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Love Live has officially sold over 100k BD in the space of three weeks. It's officially the best selling TV anime on Blu Ray ever and if I'm not mistake I believe it may also be the best selling TV anime overall ever as well. But I think I may be wrong, unless someone else wants to clarify.

For how determined people like yourself seem to be to prove the worth of this show through its meaningless Blu-ray sales, I still don't care about it. It's almost as if you're just trying to legitimatize the existence of it solely because of its impressive Blu-ray sales. Acting as if that is any indication of quality, because I've seen a lot of movies and TV shows, and let me tell you, shit sells. And it wouldn't have even sold HALF that much if it weren't for the obvious incentives made to buy, and I'm sure more than a few crazed "otaku" bought more than one copy for that exact reason. It may be the best selling TV anime ever but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of it or all of the other anime out there in any way.

Heck, it can sell 15% as much and it would still be considered successful. I personally enjoyed it, but everyone's taste and definition of enjoyment is different. If you want to talk about quality, there are threads for that but "Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking" isn't one of them.

and why it is being pointed out is because of the unusual high number of copies sold. S1 vol.1's "incentives to buy" and pricing are nearly identical, yet this sold 4x-5x as many copies, so it is worth mentioning that the fan base has obviously grown.

I don't believe we need your permission to "like" an anime, high disc sales is obviously very relevant and not trivial in the anime industry (after all, they are for profit business and not making anime for your enjoyment out of the kindness in their heart). highly successful series means there will be new materials for years to come. ie. If K-on wasn't successful, I doubt kakifly would have drawn vol.5 and a movie might have never been made.

I personally bought two copies of this, and no not due to the incentives, they are completely worthless/useless to me.
Imagine it was one of your favorite anime that sold 10x than the average hit anime, would you be happy to point that out?
superunature

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:

I'm going to have to back Jayhosh here. Sales do not determine the quality of something.

It is correlated, if it is as bad as you think it is, there would be no fans regardless of any bonus they include = no sales.

SynergyMan wrote:

As Love Live lacks all of these, bar perhaps snippets of animation, it cannot be called good.

here, let me rephrase for you "In my opinion, Love live lacks all of these, and I believe an anime must have all of these before it can be considered good. Therefore I don't believe it is good."

SynergyMan wrote:

Oh and sales=/=less anime. Sales in 2004 were something like 400 billion yen, now it's not even 100 billion, yet there's more anime being made. Also, if pandering is what makes anime popular rather than quality, the industry deserves to take some kind of hit.

Imagine you are a business man who is looking to invest in the production of one Anime. would you produce something that have 90% chance of financial success or something that have a 10% chance of success? Why should they take the hit? If you want to support your favorite anime, talk to wallet-san and stop being a leech.

SynergyMan wrote:

The ones who put in effort should be rewarded, while the ones who put in zero effort should take the biggest hit.

World isn't fair, key is to work smart, not work hard. anything below all I hear is jealous rant, so not even going to quote.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
If Aku no Hana sells 400 copies, guess what, no more Aku no Hana. Sales do matter regardless of the quality of the show, they dictate what is more likely to be greenlit in the future. Hidamari and Aria sell strong so iyashikei anime see a pretty big jump, Shana and Haruhi do really well in 2005 and 2006 so a massive spike in LN adaptations occurs, etc.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
So much for those people who claimed NGNL did not have amazing sales, its at 9.5k now, it'll be close to 10k in week 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2