• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Welcome to Bronco Country

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Full Moon: Great show, many tears shed over it, but since Viz's release fails it (subpar dub, lack of sign translations, no secondary subtitle track for songs, meaning that English dub watchers have to switch on subtitles with the remote mid-episode or listen to songs that they can't understand), I'll have to relegate it to boxed set status (2 sets with 26 eps apiece, I'd wager).

Phooey, this series isn't worth buying for me. I checked it out based on the amount of fanfare it got, but I couldn't it stand it half the time.

For a series that relies on being cutesy, I just didn't like how they tried to make it suitable for children, yet overly complicated and melodramatic to the level of an angsty teen sitcom.

I was constantly annoyed at how adversity was countered with silly gags and magic tricks by Meroko to make things worse, only to have Takuto scold her lightly and (*tosses hands up*) everyone's happy again.

Then you have spoiler[ the undecisive, half-assed crush from Takuto] where he "always gets mad for no apparent reason" when it should be obvious even to an 8-year-old.

On top of that, I found two characters especially frustrating to watch; "Jealous-bitch Madoko" and "Mitsuki's Music-hating Misanthrope Obaa-san." Good grief, I've seen stubborn and foolheaded people like Madoko, but she was beyond dislikeable. And seeing Obaa-san always gave me this feeling of, "she's just like the characters in Jigoku Shoujo that's both afflicted and afflicting enough to have everyone and herself be sent to Hell."

I clapped a few times when misfortune struck these two, but like I said, (*tosses hands up*) everyone ends up happy at the end. It was also a lucky guess that from about episode 6 I knew spoiler[ Eichi was already dead.] Not much of a revelation later on, so a lot of that shock value was lost as well.

Aside from the insert songs and catchy first opening (though that band is pretty annoying otherwise), there's not much else I like about this. It left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I'd even say it's affected my view of shoujo in general. The overly cutesy theme is part of the reason I don't like Air as much and why I'm a little hesitant to watch the original and new Kanon series now.

Almost exactly what I think about the anime of Full Moon.
The manga on the other hand is hands down my favourite shojo series ever.
I still think the first season of the anime is almost complete crap, and only saved by the singing. The manga had great storytelling whereas the anime just have random plotpoints all over the place that everyone seems to forget about once they happen then randomly remember another time, all tied together will annoying filler that does nothing. That and all the filler characters/anyone who isnt in the manga all look like extras from Pokemon or something, very unlike Arina Tanemura's gorgeous artwork.
The second half has better animation and more fluid telling, even if it is completely different to the manga anyway, it doesnt seem like filler as much because the things that happen generally have a *point*.
'Tragic revelation' plotpoints, instead of being scattered nicely throughout the series as in the manga, seem to all happen in one big blob at the end. Because of this the first season is like some blatantly cute happy-fest, yet every now and then we're reminded "she's going to die", which just seems a little weird. In the manga there are happy cute parts but they dont ruin the overall serious-ness in my opinion.
That and I DESPISE the first opening. That said, I despise 'The Scanty' in general, the screechy voice and all does not give a good first impression for an anime about a good singer. When I first heard it I thought it was meant to be Full Moon singing and nearly had a heart attack. Apart from the song, the accompanying visuals look like extracts from Panyo Panyo Digi Charat or something. It's way to cutesy and Happy Happy Yay! sort of thing. I mean if this was Snow Fairy Sugar or Bottle Fairy, then fine, but this almost completely ruined the anime for me.
The second isnt as bad, but it would be far better if someone ELSE would sing it.
More about the second season... although it still happens from 'pointless part sydrome', there were some truly memorable parts that I loved even if they didn't happen in the manga.
I think the anime is worth seeing for the sake of Mitsuki singing, but my advice is read the manga and jump in at the second season, at least rent the first.
I did get angry that they drastically changed Izumi's character for the anime, and his role.
Please at least read the manga if you haven't already, they are completely different. A pity as there is so much I wanted to see animated in the manga that never was. (almost nothing that's in the manga is in the anime, though) Madoka's reason for her bitchiness is alot better explained (they completely cut out, in the anime, the part about spoiler[her having had plastic surgery to look better, and I think the stuff about her parents.
]

Also, there's a reason for the grandma's music hate, which is only fleetingly glossed over in the anime, I think.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Phooey, [Full Moon] isn't worth buying for me. I checked it out based on the amount of fanfare it got, but I couldn't it stand it half the time.
Hmm, perhaps I should have said "great, though far from perfect." I guess FM won't win any new fans for the shoujo genre, but for those who are already into kiddy/shoujo/cutesy anime, I still think it's a good choice. Interestingly enough, Tony K's post is one of the first criticisms I've seen of the series from someone who hadn't read the manga. I'll have to check out the manga myself to gain more perspective.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I too thought "The Final Countdown" when I read the synops of "Zipang". also Koi Kaze is just too repulsive for me to see them continue their affair after discovering they are brother and sister. No matter how beautifully written and romantic it is, it's still just too wrong. Anime hyper
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
XXXII. Yeah, XXXIII was great because it was two in a row, blahblah, but 32 was Elway's first, and it was just a solid game. Versus the next year, when the game itself just wasn't as intense.

Ah, it does a heart good. Sad that we really haven't had that many Super Bowls as excellently played and coached as that one since then (though there have been a few intense ones, to be fair).

DemonEyesLeo wrote:
XXXII by far for me. How could you not enjoy our first Super Bowl title and one in which we were the underdogs? And Elway's "helicopter" spin to get that first down late in the game is just one of the greatest plays I've ever seen.

How could I not enjoy it? By being the Packers fan that I was and still am. Laughing But I still love it all the same since I am a Broncos fan as well, not to mention as it was already said it was just a great game overall. Still my favorite one after all these years.

Tony K. wrote:
The overly cutesy theme is part of the reason I don't like Air as much and why I'm a little hesitant to watch the original and new Kanon series now.

I was initially put off by the cute atmosphere in Air but eventually got used to it (that, or else it wore off as the series went on), but that's me. As for Kanon... I've never seen the first series and don't plan on doing so, but I have seen the first episode. It's... well, I was interested since the same director behind Air and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is also doing the remake, but at the same time I can't help but think whether it is going to have something that sets it apart from the other ridiculous moé anime that has been the recent "thing" to make over on the other side of the Pacific.

Mohawk52 wrote:
also Koi Kaze is just too repulsive for me to see them continue their affair after discovering they are brother and sister. No matter how beautifully written and romantic it is, it's still just too wrong. Anime hyper

Ah, come now, be just a bit more willing and open to other peoples' choices and lifestyles even if it is not the best choice when it comes to reproduction!

Besides, I'd prefer to deal with the subject of incest that Koi Kaze tackles versus the onslaught of various sub-genres that anime is more prominently known for.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
also Koi Kaze is just too repulsive for me to see them continue their affair after discovering they are brother and sister. No matter how beautifully written and romantic it is, it's still just too wrong. Anime hyper

Ah, come now, be just a bit more willing and open to other peoples' choices and lifestyles even if it is not the best choice when it comes to reproduction!

Besides, I'd prefer to deal with the subject of incest that Koi Kaze tackles versus the onslaught of various sub-genres that anime is more prominently known for.
I prefer to "deal" with none of them thank you. I get no pleasure in knowing that such situations might exist. Confused
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The overly cutesy theme is part of the reason I don't like Air as much and why I'm a little hesitant to watch the original and new Kanon series now.

You should probably just skip the old Kanon, since it's exactly like Air (I thought), but with horrible art and character designs. Maybe the new one might be worth seeing just for the production aspects but, eh, I can't say I'm that interested. But I'm not really the target audience for those "sad girl" shows, anyway, so meh.

I have to say I'm torn, now, on Full Moon. I've always liked the lightheartedness of shoujo, but prefer series that don't rely on archetypes, but characters who act like real people (Koji Morimoto's work is an exception Wink). I value Bamboo's opinion, but I also value yours. And while I only read the first two chapters of the Full Moon manga, I read all of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, by the same author, and found it a little mediocre. Yikes. A rental, I guess.

Mohawk52 wrote:
also Koi Kaze is just too repulsive for me to see them continue their affair after discovering they are brother and sister.

The two main characters of Koi Kaze fullheartedly agree with you. But they can't make their feelings go away. Sad
I understand where you're coming from, though. It's a hard series to stomach (as much as I loved it).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
also Koi Kaze is just too repulsive for me to see them continue their affair after discovering they are brother and sister.

The two main characters of Koi Kaze fullheartedly agree with you. But they can't make their feelings go away. Sad
I understand where you're coming from, though. It's a hard series to stomach (as much as I loved it).

That's why I tell people that ask me about Koi Kaze not to watch it if you're sensitive about incest. But if you can handle the subject matter (not to mention the age difference), it's definitely one of the best romances in the market. To be honest, I was skeptical about Koi Kaze at first because of the subject matter, but Theron's review of Vol. #1 convinced me to rent it. It took me a couple of viewings of Vol. #1 to feel comfortable with the subject matter, and throughout the course of the series I wasn't bothered at all with the topic. What did bothered me was how poor the animation in Koi Kaze is, but the writing and the strength of the characters more than made up for it.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
Koi Kaze: I think it's safe to say that such a show would never have been made in this country. Especially spoiler[since the relationship was consummated towards the end. It would have been a strange sight if it had been shown, since the brother was about two feet taller than the sister.]
The character design for the sister made me wonder what was going on in the minds of the creators. I mean, she is supposed to be 15, but doesn't even come up to the shoulders of any of the adult women in the series, and barely to the ribs of her brother. She looks like she's about 11, as do the other girls in her grade at school. I wonder if this was done to emphasize her vulnerability and youth, or what.
I would recommend viewing it even if the subject matter makes you uneasy, since it is a sincere, and quite sad, look at relationships and why humans need them.

Zipang: A couple of errors from a WWII enthusiasts: The box cover contains a second error, unless the Japanese had a two-seater version of the Zero that I have never heard of (from which the officer was rescued).
Also, Bamboo's review contains a minor error in that the Mirai had to dodge an American torpedo, not a missile.

Negima: I'm sorry, but I thought this series was cute and sweet and touching towards the end. It's not the greatest thing ever, but certainly not perishable.
Bamboo, I have the greatest respect for both you and your reviews here, but I suspect there are some pet peeves involved in the trashing of this series.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
A couple of errors from a WWII enthusiasts: The box cover contains a second error, unless the Japanese had a two-seater version of the Zero that I have never heard of (from which the officer was rescued).

Looks like you are not enthusiastic enough. Cool

Wikipedia's A6M Zero wrote:
Two other versions of the Model 21 were built in small numbers, the Nakajima-built A6M2-N "Rufe" floatplane (based on the model 11 with a slightly modifed tail), and the A6M2-K two-seat trainer of which a total of 508 were built by Hitachi and the Sasebo Naval Air Arsenal.

However, I'm not sure if the plane Kusaka took was a Zero in manga. I'll double check it in...three hours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
burzmali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Well, if you can find a good reason for any trainer plane to be that far from Japan at the time of Midway, I'll be impressed.

Come the invasion of Iwo Jima and the Marianna's Turkey Shoot, anything with wings and an engine was used against the Allies, albeit in a slightly different role...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
It was also a lucky guess that from about episode 6 I knew spoiler[ Eichi was already dead.] Not much of a revelation later on, so a lot of that shock value was lost as well.

Aside from the insert songs and catchy first opening (though that band is pretty annoying otherwise), there's not much else I like about this. It left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I'd even say it's affected my view of shoujo in general. The overly cutesy theme is part of the reason I don't like Air as much and why I'm a little hesitant to watch the original and new Kanon series now.

Actually, Full Moon becomes surprisingly dark later on. As what was said before grandma has her reasons for not liking music. Basically, all the shinigami in this title have dark backgrounds, but you only get some info on Takuto. Mereko and the other one that gets introduced later have dark pasts not really touched on in the anime. spoiler[Mitsuki takes a huge fall after finding Eichi in America, but that's close to the end of the series.]

Air and Kanon are both dark titles imo. Kanon 2006 is actually worse than Air in that regards imo because all the comedy that people are seeing currently will not prepare them for what's about to happen. KyoAni is very subtle in the dark foreshadowing in this version, probably because of the themesspoiler[ (teen suicide, depression)] in this title. At least in Air, you kind of knew that it was dark thru out. Kanon 2006 is better than the original Kanon imo. You may want to consider giving it a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3