• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Searching for that 5% of anime that is WOW!"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Judging from my rather incomplete list on MyAnimeList, I give masterpiece ratings like a pancake. The numbers don't mean much to me but it's always fun to play these games. So here is the list of my masterpieces:
Perfect Blue
Ping Pong The Animation
Planetes
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
Mushishi
Mushishi Zoku Shou
Muybridge's Strings
Mind Game
MD Geist
Mawaru Penguindrum
The Wind Rises
Porco Rosso
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
Inferno Cop
Franz Kafka: Ein Landarzt
Grave of the Fireflies
Ghost in the Shell
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Akira
Flowers of Evil
Aoi Bungaku Series
Tatami galaxy
The list generally skewers towards modern anime, which isn't surprising considering that I constantly update stuff that I am currently watching and some older titles weren't even rated to begin with.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming your Masterpiece rating for MD Geist was meant ironically?
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I always add things to my anime list here as soon as I finish them, and always rate them when I add them. I've only rated 21 out of 1492 anime as Masterpiece, which works out to about 1.4% (I would also give One Piece a Masterpiece rating, if I were to add anime I've only partially watched to my list). Of those 21, 8 are Studio Ghibli films (I love Ghibli), and many of the others are shows I watched back when I was first getting into anime. The reason I use the Masterpiece rating so infrequently is because I assigned my top few anime a Masterpiece rating back when I first made my list, and now I rate things by comparing how much I enjoyed them to things already on my list. I think I enjoyed watching some of those more because anime in general was still new to me, which means it is hard for things I watch to seem quite as amazing. Some of the anime I've given a Masterpiece rating to would probably get an Excellent rating if I were to watch them for the first time now. At the same time though, I watched some legitimately awesome anime back in the day, so a good portion of those 21 truly deserve a masterpiece rating. It is also hard for films to get a Masterpiece rating from me, since they literally have to be as good as the best films Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli have ever made to get that rating.

Anyway, I can say without looking at my anime list that 1998 and 1995 are my favorite years for anime . . . I keep track of that kind of thing. I really got into anime in 1999, and anime from 1995-1998 were primarily what was available and relatively current at the time. Even without the bump in rating for being some of the anime I first watched, I feel 1995 and 1998 have some really great anime. Actually looking at my anime list to see how many Masterpiece anime are from each year, I see 1998 has my three all-time favorite TV series, His and Her Circumstances, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Outlaw Star. 1995 had my all-time favorite anime movie, Whisper of the Heart, my fourth favorite TV series, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and another TV series I've rated as a Masterpiece (and which was at one point my 5th favorite, though I'm not certain it would be anymore), Fushigi Yuugi.

I'm very doubtful that any future year will ever get 3 Masterpiece rated anime from me, but I'm not certain there are less truly great anime now than back in the day. I've not seen a high enough percentage of anime from the 2010s to say that I know how many great anime have been made in the last few years (there is about a 5 year lag before I've seen about as much anime from a recent year as one a long time back). However, I felt like there was still a lot of really great anime that was made in the 2000s, so unless anime quality has decreased in the last couple years, they are still making great anime. That being said, there were are only two anime I've seen in the last 10 years that blew me away in the same way that something like Neon Genesis Evangelion (the first anime TV series I watched after I knew what anime was) did back in the day . . . those being Kanon (2006) and the Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance movie. I think just having seen so much anime makes it harder for something to impress me in the same way as it did back then.

A couple anime that I've seen that I probably should have rated as Masterpiece but didn't would be Princess Tutu and Millennium Actress. Also, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time probably deserves a Masterpiece rating even though the ending could have been better, since it is still better than almost any non-Ghibli movie I've seen.

Also, just in case anyone looks at my anime list and wonders why I don't use the Worst Ever rating, and hardly ever use the next few lowest ratings, that is because I'm not rating things relative to other anime. If I enjoy something somewhat, it will get a rating better than Weak, even if it would still be in the bottom few percentage of anime I've seen. Also, even if I were to rate things relative to each other and place the worst anime I've seen at Worst Ever, that rating still wouldn't be used since I've not put most hentai on my anime list. A really bad hentai is just much worse than a bad non-hentai anime, in my opinion, so it wouldn't be fair to call a non-hentai anime the "worst ever" when I know how much worse some hentai out there are.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
^
Have the courage of your convictions, Calathan, and give that Masterpiece rating to Princess Tutu, Millennium Actress and even The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Very Happy

Re His and Her Circumstances: while I agree the series was exceptional while Anno was at the helm - its easily my favourite Anno work - the moment he left (episodes 19-26) it turned into tedium. That's almost one third of the series. For me that brings its rating down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm assuming your Masterpiece rating for MD Geist was meant ironically?

My enjoyment of the anime was certainly genuine. Perhaps I like it for wrong reasons, but in my opinion that doesn't really matter.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
My post was semi-tongue in cheek. The ratings I give are a reflection of my own enjoyment (more or less, further explanation below) of a title, as well, as opposed to some dtm42-esque "objectivist" attempt to assign a rating. However, I treat Masterpiece ratings a bit differently. There, I feel obligated to step outside simply my own personal enjoyment and try to assess some sort of objective standard. That's why I had to drop Valvrave down and it's why I qualify JoJo as a Masterpiece of Manly Entertainment as opposed to just a Masterpiece.

Also, sometimes if I know something is really dreadful but it tickles my enjoyment bone regardless, I will reduce its score to say a "Good" even though on my Personal Entertainment Value Scale it rated an Excellent.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
That is one of the advantages of my system. I don't have to make fine distinctions. Stuff I enjoyed is either good or very good. Now worry about "masterpiece" ratings.

I also don't buy the idea of watching something "ironically". I think that is just a defense (or in some cases a self deception) against having to admit you enjoyed something that is less than perfect. Basically, if you enjoyed it, admit it.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I have given Masterpiece ratings to 16 of the 682 anime that I have seen all of.
So that is a wow factor of only 2.3% for me.
I think that only the first one on my list has been mentioned by anybody else here.

This is my Masterpiece list:
Cardcaptor Sakura (TV)
Case Closed: Captured in Her Eyes (movie)
(The) Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (movie)
Fancy Lala (TV)
Figure 17 (TV)
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (TV)
InuYasha: The Final Act (TV)
K-ON! Season 2 (TV)
Kamichu! (TV)
Kiddy Grade (TV)
Maria Watches Over Us 4th Season (TV)
(The) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV)
My Neighbor Totoro (movie)
My-Otome (TV)
Spirited Away (movie)
Stellvia (TV)

On the other end of the spectrum the lowest rating that I have given is Weak, and only 9 of them.
The reason that I do not give lower ratings is that I do not give a negative rating to anything that I did not finish, and if I am not enjoying it enough for it to rate as at least Weak I am not going to finish it.

I do not really pay attention to how old anime is so I can not make any comments on that subject.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My post was semi-tongue in cheek. The ratings I give are a reflection of my own enjoyment (more or less, further explanation below) of a title, as well, as opposed to some dtm42-esque "objectivist" attempt to assign a rating. However, I treat Masterpiece ratings a bit differently. There, I feel obligated to step outside simply my own personal enjoyment and try to assess some sort of objective standard. That's why I had to drop Valvrave down and it's why I qualify JoJo as a Masterpiece of Manly Entertainment as opposed to just a Masterpiece.

To a degree, I agree with your thinking. I believe that your own personal enjoyment of the show is the best way to determine the quality of it. Our emotional states aren't random and that they don't appear spontaneously, there has to be something on the screen that is evoking a specific emotion. All of the irritating objective flaws people bring up often aren't really flaws since they don't detract from enjoyment of the show.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Is Masterpiece a 10? Then I've given it to 2 series Princess Tutu & Mushishi (the 2nd season of Mushishi I only gave a 9, it was good but not as good)
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Definition of subjective, all arguments over this are redundant. But some people have a burning desire to justify things they enjoy which makes no logical sense whatsoever. To each their own, spread positivity!
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
Lain's Hairline wrote:
Definition of subjective, all arguments over this are redundant. But some people have a burning desire to justify things they enjoy which makes no logical sense whatsoever. To each their own, spread positivity!

Exactly. Everyone's tastes are different.

I personally would not call anything Satoshi Kon, Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Madoka Magica, or Azumanga Daioh masterpieces, even though several people called each of these a masterpiece in this thread. This is not to say that they're bad anime by any means. Just for me personally, I would not call them a masterpiece. They can be masterpieces for other people, sure. But not to everyone.

The same applies to anything - books, movies, TV shows, video games, you name it. Everyone's definition of what is the best varies drastically. You're not going to get agreement.

In a way, this can be frustrating. Sometimes, when I want to watch a new anime, I look at the list of anime people think is their masterpiece/Top 10/whatever they want to call it. Sometimes after I watch it, I agree. Sometimes I find it so horrible I can only watch a few episodes and have to quit. Most of the time, the anime falls somewhere in between (not a masterpiece but not horrible either). That's just how it goes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
@ Lain's Hairline & DJStarstryker.

That's not really the point of this thread. (Though I suppose there's nothing particularly wrong with digressing a little.)

The questions were - What year has your largest number of masterpieces? When was your "back in day"?

This isn't an argument over what is or isn't a masterpiece. It's about when was your anime golden age. The questions presuppose that people have different tastes, that quality is subjective.

Don't be shy. Tell us what and when your masterpieces are/were.

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
Lain's Hairline wrote:

Exactly. Everyone's tastes are different.

I personally would not call anything Satoshi Kon, Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Madoka Magica, or Azumanga Daioh masterpieces, even though several people called each of these a masterpiece in this thread. This is not to say that they're bad anime by any means. Just for me personally, I would not call them a masterpiece. They can be masterpieces for other people, sure. But not to everyone.

The same applies to anything - books, movies, TV shows, video games, you name it. Everyone's definition of what is the best varies drastically. You're not going to get agreement.

In a way, this can be frustrating. Sometimes, when I want to watch a new anime, I look at the list of anime people think is their masterpiece/Top 10/whatever they want to call it. Sometimes after I watch it, I agree. Sometimes I find it so horrible I can only watch a few episodes and have to quit. Most of the time, the anime falls somewhere in between (not a masterpiece but not horrible either). That's just how it goes.

Totally agree on this. When I look for new series to watch I take all reviews and ratings with a grain of salt, because ultimately they don't affect how you'll come out the other end thinking about it.

I don't like certain series that are critically acclaimed as well, but I don't lose sleep over it. Laughing

Neon Genesis Evangelion, the first season of Darker than Black, Black Lagoon, and Welcome to the NHK are masterpieces to me cause I had a more personal connection with them. I feel they were very well written in their own right with characters who showed more thought put into them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Quote:
It's about when was your anime golden age.

Right now. All the old stuff I bought is still available and most of the new stuff becomes available faster than ever. More anime is available to me than I can ever watch. Definitely a Golden Era. As long as this remains true, Now will always be a golden era.

I realize you are trying to associate quality with a specific year. However, there has always been a disconnect between when anime was made and when it became available here in North America. As a result of streaming that has changed in the last couple of years, but when I first started watching it was a couple of years between when we first heard of a show and when we could see it.

It didn't help that most R1 companies did not tell you when the show ran in Japan and mostly still don't. As a matter of fact, I first came here to obtain just that information from the Encyclopedia. The main result of that disconnect is that I don't associate shows with specific years. In most cases I'm only vaguely aware of the decade of a show unless it is obviously old (80's and 90's).

So, I'll repeat, the Golden Age is now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4