• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does Furi Kuri mean anyways??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandork393

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:14 am Reply with quote
When I saw the first episode of FLCL....they talked about furi kuri Rolling Eyes .javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
javascript:emoticon('Very Happy').....Its just sume perverted stuff ...i Cool
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I figured this would have been answered a long time ago. Anyway, I stopped by a Synch Point/Furi Kuri panel at Fanime con this year. I don't remember exactly who was there, but some of the guest were from Gainax... ok, after some research, looks like:

Yamaga Hiroyuki - Co-Producer (Founder GAINAX)
Tsurumaki Kazuya - Director
Sadamoto Yoshiyuki - Character Designer
Sato Hiroki - script writer
Takeda Yasuhiro - Founder/General Manager GAINAX

Also present were English VA:
Kari Wahlgren - Haruko Haruhara
Jennifer Sekiguchi - Mamimi Samejima

I do remember them talking about what FLCL/FuriKuri meant. They said that it had no meaning. They wanted to have a cool title, and they though it would be cool to have something that could be an acronym (like K.O.R. for Kumagure Orange Road). They made up some 'acronym,' but did not base it off anything. It does not have any meaning beyond that..
BlueRaven12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Anlushac11 wrote:
Supposedly in mangas and hentai furi kuri is the written term to describe the sound of rubbing a womans breast. Literally it means breast tweaking.

Ramen wrote:
I stopped by a Synch Point/Furi Kuri panel at Fanime con this year. I don't remember exactly who was there, but some of the guest were from Gainax...

I do remember them talking about what FLCL/FuriKuri meant. They said that it had no meaning. They wanted to have a cool title, and they though it would be cool to have something that could be an acronym (like K.O.R. for Kumagure Orange Road). They made up some 'acronym,' but did not base it off anything. It does not have any meaning beyond that..

Anime dazed Man, there's evidence to support both claims in FLCL itself. Naota's dad's always chanting "furi kuri" when he's in ultra-horny mode (manga form in Ep. 1 & 6) and I could definitely see him interested in doing some "tweaking" .
On the other hand, every time they go into manga form, the characters themselves ask what "furi kuri" means. Haruka even asks the question herself in a preview.

Has someone else seen "furi kuri" used in the way Anlushac11 mentioned?
Think Gainax would actually reply if I do ask them if it means anything?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2