• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 440

Quote:
During this exchange, Neji reveals that he no longer feels any ill will towards Hinata—or the rest of the Hyuga clan—thanks to Naruto's shining influence. (Has Gaara been pushing Church of Uzumaki pamphlets on the Hyuga household again?)

When I was watching that scene I was thinking how in Tsunade's dream book it really lacked all of the weight of the original because Naruto's sermon isn't coming from the same place. His "Oh, I'm the Hokage's son so people treat me different" sounds an awful lot like first world problems compared to Neji's "I'm a slave to my relatives who can torture or kill me on a whim and sent my father to his death."

And jeez, do they have to tie the teddy bear to the kid? It's the most important thing ever in his life, but he apparently can't hang on to it for more than five minutes.

Btw, how does the "community score" average out to 0.1 when you can't give less than 0.5? oO
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Pervy Sage could use a few pointers on "friend fiction" from Tina Belcher.

He may also share her passion for zombie fiction, considering many of his magnum opus's featured players are deceased.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
When I was watching that scene I was thinking how in Tsunade's dream book it really lacked all of the weight of the original because Naruto's sermon isn't coming from the same place.

This occurred to me, too. I guess Naruto's also ostracized in this universe for being the (partial) Nine Tails container, but not to the same extent as he is (was?) in the actual canon. This, of course, justifies replaying a sequence we've seen several hundred times.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
I thought his biggest problem in Jiraiya's version was accusations of favoritism since he was the son of the Hokage. It didn't seem like anyone was too bothered by the nine-tails thing, since his parents were still around to keep everyone safe from it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the perceived nepotism is probably his main claim to alienation in this world; I just thought the Jinchuuriki thing may have factored in somehow. In this arc's first episode, one of the villagers remarked that if Naruto weren't the Hokage's son, he would have been chased out of the Leaf a long time ago since "everyone knows what he is." He also asked his wife to throw some salt on the ground after Naruto left his store, which is overkill, even by cartoon bigot standards. I don't know if this guy was speaking for himself or if his position was meant to reflect the majority of the Leaf's citizenry. (Or why I care enough about this arc to remember such things.)
macattack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I would have found this filler much more interesting if it was about Minato or Kushina as a lone parent trying to take care of Naruto while living as the Nine-Tails' container (or partial container, if it were Minato). The Nine-Tails still manages to attack Konoha before being re-sealed, perhaps it's not as bad as the canon but still pretty catastrophic. Naruto, who does not have the demon inside him (unless it's Minato as the survivor, in which it's split 50/50) keeps questioning Minato or Kushina why everyone hates them, and the lone parent has no good answer. Naruto loves the surviving parent, but wants to find the truth, and his reaction to the discovery gives a golden opportunity to explore Naruto's character. The survival of the lone parent also interferes with the Uchiha massacre, forcing Itachi to enforce his plan on either Sasuke's mother or father (Mikoto and Fugaku, respectively) instead as a temporary measure until he can come back to finish the job. As the plot gets into gear, Naruto's surviving parent tries to investigate the truth of the massacre while also finding his or herself to be the jonin-sensei for Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura, setting up a crash course between Danzo and the parent for the fate of the village, with Sasuke's surviving parent as a vigilante who could ruin it for everyone with his/her desire for revenge.

Something personal, something with depth, something that takes a different path from Naruto stories and the usual filler. Naruto has some happiness, and Sasuke isn't on the path to being evil due to not being tortured and keeping a parent himself, but it's not roses and sunshine, and in some ways is potentially even darker than the canon.

I would have killed for a story like that. This was an opportune time for a story like that, and it would have fit the current opening perfectly. And they completely let us down.

This has been nothing but scarcely coherent garbage that half-heartedly rehashes the canon with some plot devices and living characters that don't do much to effect the plot or even offer insight into how things may be different. The conflicts don't work, and Naruto comes off as disingenuous because of his status, as was shown with Neji. The budget being cut to zero as we progress hasn't been helping either.

This just isn't interesting and it feels like we're really not doing anything meaningful with these characters in spite of the myriad possibilities.

Jiraiya (or more specifically, the real life writer peddling this crap), you've outdone My Immortal with this. At least My Immortal is good for a laugh. This isn't even bad enough to be so bad it's good. Congratulations.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 441's screenshot is perfect. (Although Shikamaru doesn't look quite as ashamed as he should.) Somehow, I still can't bring myself to hate this arc (these arcs?) as much as the New Chunin Exams Arc, which we were suffering through at this time last year.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Sasuke's novel self is an even bigger jackass than he ever was!

He's just jealous because Naruto has a father that acknowledges him, whereas Fugaku could give two shits about Sasuke.

He's a jackass, too!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Shocked <Wake up, everybody! Can't you see what's happening?! )

Anime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazedAnime dazed

Shocked <The Infinite Tsukuyomi has you too!)

Shocked <This tree of endless, writhing filler...it's feeding off your minds...your time...your streaming stats... Unless you can free yourselves with remote-control-no-jutsu, you'll be trapped here forever, and Madara will win!!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
fans of the manga were already feeling fatigue by its ending, the anime is 10x worse. when people look back at this series years from now the biggest thing that will stick in their mind is that this series had more filler episodes than that than entire season's worth of anime, and by seasons worth I mean all the episodes of all the anime series released in a season combined.

Last time I checked the count was at like 270 filler episodes, that's the equivalent of 22.5 anime series that are 12 eps each
Charagon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Bellamy has been in the middle of a single attack since Halloween and you guys are complaining about dream world stories. Sad
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Charagon wrote:
Bellamy has been in the middle of a single attack since Halloween and you guys are complaining about dream world stories. Sad

No reason we can't complain about both Smile The Bellamy thing's finally over, though, so now we can move on to complaining about half of this week's episode being taken up by shots of characters reacting in horror to Doflamingo's contracting string cage. The show was riding the brakes up to the 15 minute mark, got cool for a bit, and then ran out the clock until "To Be Continued.

Edit: the first post in this 20-page thread, dated 8/29/2014, asks whether only two days have really passed in the Naruto world.

We up to three yet?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
bleach had the right idea, end the show at the end of an arc, wait for the manga to finish and then finish the anime later, although with the way the final arc is going it feels anticlimactic.

Naruto has no excuse, they manga finished months ago and we're still watching fillers. I know they've got the main animation team working on the movie but as a result the tv series, which is what everyone is going to remember, is going to end up with a lot of sour fans. the whole reason they made "Naruto Shippuden" in the first place is that so many people had stopped watching the original series they had to wave their hands and say "this is a new show, it's going back to the manga, please come back". And ironically the new show has twice as many filler eps as the old one.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
the whole reason they made "Naruto Shippuden" in the first place

Ever since it took 30-odd episodes to finish the first storyline, the new title has always seemed kind of silly to me. A "shippuu" is a gale-force wind, suggesting fast, powerful movement.

"Soyokaze-den" ("Legend of the Gentle Breeze") would have had a lot more truth in advertising. Or maybe "Tsumujikaze-den" ("Legend of the Whirlwind") since it just goes round and round in circles. Or maybe.... (grabs dictionary) ..."Mufuutai-den" ("Legend of Doldrums").
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Charagon wrote:

No reason we can't complain about both Smile The Bellamy thing's finally over, though, so now we can move on to complaining about half of this week's episode being taken up by shots of characters reacting in horror to Doflamingo's contracting string cage. The show was riding the brakes up to the 15 minute mark, got cool for a bit, and then ran out the clock until "To Be Continued.

Edit: the first post in this 20-page thread, dated 8/29/2014, asks whether only two days have really passed in the Naruto world.

We up to three yet?

Yep - we just started the third day, although we're still in the wee hours of the morning.

One Piece's pacing has definitely gotten worse as the series has worn on. At least in their case, they're trying to avoid catching up to the source material, whereas Naruto is simply trying to stay alive and profitable.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
If this current filler arc is Naruto as written by the anime writers, I'm glad that they didn't write the original story. I think after this, the producers involved should be contractually disallowed from producing filler ever again. They have put out enough filler for 20 series, let alone one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 44