• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Discusses Space Dandy's Future, DBZ Kai in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sounds like its time to say good bye to Toonami

you say this with every new show, how are you not tired of being wrong yet?
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
It seems like CN are doing some kind of dump the show and run thing with Beware of the Batman and Sym-Bionic Titan, guessing it's some kind of way of getting around paying parties involved for the shows when they air?

Do they actually have any non-Japanese shows left on the block now aside from Clone Wars (which is also going soon due to Disney airing that Rebels show which imo does not exist so I'm never watching it ever)?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Why is anyone watching toonami? Seriously? Streaming, DVD, BD and fansubs are everywhere. Waiting for your DVR is ridiculous let alone waiting until the actual time.

We have control, the VCR days are over.Shocked

KLK is finished and AOT is unfinished

Comparing them is hilarious. Laughing

Space Dandy is great if left untouched, DBZ Kai is unnecessary overkill. Its a widened cut weaker version. Go ahead and add more water to the orange drink. It's almost running clear.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I guess Space Dandy getting partially funded by an American TV network and in general being quite catering to American audiences wasn't good enough. Crashing and burning in Japan where just a couple of thousand disc sales can pave way for a sequel surely wasn't too helpful either.

Actually, space dandy did better then expected in Japan, which is why we have a 2nd season in the first place. It was also popular to get it's own manga.

By no means is it a hit, but it did do reasonably well in both Japan and US.

Just because there isn't a third season or a sequel series, doesn't mean it wasn't successful. They just simply decided to end it.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Actually, space dandy did better then expected in Japan, which is why we have a 2nd season in the first place. It was also popular to get it's own manga.

Space Dandy was a split-cour show, it was always 26 episodes before it aired. They just took a break between cours as some shows do.

It having a manga is not a sign of popularity either. Manga is very low-investment, and indeed a lot of properties which are considered bombs had manga tie-ins. Space Dandy's manga lasted less than a year.

As much as people want this to be a success, the fact they are only considering a movie or OVA rather than another series shows how profitable the series was.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Shadowrun20XX"]Why is anyone watching toonami? Seriously? Streaming, DVD, BD and fansubs are everywhere. Waiting for your DVR is ridiculous let alone waiting until the actual time.

We have control, the VCR days are over.8O

KLK is finished and AOT is unfinished

Comparing them is hilarious. :lol:

Space Dandy is great if left untouched, DBZ Kai is unnecessary overkill. Its a widened cut weaker version. Go ahead and add more water to the orange drink. It's almost running clear.[/quote]

How are new fans supposed to get introduced to anime? Since Toonami came back, FUNimation said the sales of some of their series have climbed. There's a reason why hit shows like Sword Art Online and AOT get dubbed premieres on Toonami.

Also, fansubs need to die, but I won't even open that can of worms.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
According to that Tumblr Q&A, CN has the broadcast rights to Space Dandy locked up more or less forever. It's not quite a Toonami original but it's about as close we'll probably ever get again. So I imagine it'll get rerun quite a bit.

Other shows with this status are Bebop, FLCL, Ghost in the Shell and Big O Season 2, which often get called up to fill random holes in the schedule.

I'm not sure if FMA Brotherhood qualifies but it's been airing on Adult Swim continuously for almost five years now (since before they brought back Toonami) so I'm guessing it also enjoys that status.

You're mostly right. They have perma-rights to both seasons of GITS, the 2nd season of Big O, and presumably IGPX. Bebop and FLCL they simply like so much they continuously renew the rights to every time they expire, which may be the case with FMA:B as well, or else they simply had a really long, multi-year license for that to begin with.

With Dandy, they said it would be around for a really long time, which makes it sound like they will eventually lose it. But it could easily end up sticking around for as long as, if not longer than, FMA:B.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
makes sense AoT is rerunning. pulls in over a million views every week. be stupid to let that go

Yup, love this show and not surprised at all that it's not going anywhere.

TG72 wrote:
No Bleach re-runs? I was hoping that would be around for at least another couple of years. I'd love if AS got to show Tiger and Bunny or Gargantia but VIZ just isn't too crazy about working with them now.

I expect a few Funimation titles to be announced for January (maybe Psycho Pass).

Yeah, all 3 would be great to see, and I definitely think they should run Psycho-Pass.

I'm really surprised Bleach isn't getting any amount of re-run in the back half of the block.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
TG72 wrote:
No Bleach re-runs? I was hoping that would be around for at least another couple of years.
I'm really surprised Bleach isn't getting any amount of re-run in the back half of the block.

I think there would have been a better chance for Bleach reruns if the show had only 50 episodes or less these days. I don't see One Piece or Naruto: Shippuden getting reruns either.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Sad to hear Hellsing Ultimate needs to be censored. A real shame. I don't recall it having anything that particularly needs to be censored in my opinion.
As far as I can tell, the only edits they've been doing is bleeping out the F-word which is standard for all [as] programs and only really necessary in episode 2 for obvious reasons.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:
As far as I can tell, the only edits they've been doing is bleeping out the F-word which is standard for all [as] programs and only really necessary in episode 2 for obvious reasons.

Death by Konami baby.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
getchman wrote:
makes sense AoT is rerunning. pulls in over a million views every week. be stupid to let that go

Yup, love this show and not surprised at all that it's not going anywhere.

TG72 wrote:
No Bleach re-runs? I was hoping that would be around for at least another couple of years. I'd love if AS got to show Tiger and Bunny or Gargantia but VIZ just isn't too crazy about working with them now.

I expect a few Funimation titles to be announced for January (maybe Psycho Pass).

Yeah, all 3 would be great to see, and I definitely think they should run Psycho-Pass.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Tiger and Bunny. Quite a while ago, some folks from Viz mentioned on ANNcast that the reason it took so long to see a physical product was because they tried a couple of times to get adult swim on board with the show. Although things can change, I'm guessing a third try wouldn't work much better.

Mawdryn wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
TG72 wrote:
No Bleach re-runs? I was hoping that would be around for at least another couple of years.

I think there would have been a better chance for Bleach reruns if the show had only 50 episodes or less these days. I don't see One Piece or Naruto: Shippuden getting reruns either.

Agreed. Long shonen series are popular with Toonami precisely because it takes so long before they have to find something new. Now that Bleach is finishing, it no longer serves that purpose. Plus, reruns of a show where it can take several episodes for anything of substance to happen don't do so well on reruns.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Why is anyone watching toonami? Seriously? Streaming, DVD, BD and fansubs are everywhere. Waiting for your DVR is ridiculous let alone waiting until the actual time.

We have control, the VCR days are over.Shocked

Psh, comments like this are such buzzkills. Nothing can replicate that great nostalgic feeling you get waiting every night/week for your favorite show or programming block. Plus, that agrument doesn't work for Space Dandy since every episode is (was) a world premiere. I hope more shows do that in the future. "Year long waits for translations of anime really hurt the industry. There used to be a time when you could find anime on television everywhere, now it's strictly limited to late night actions shows and those card collecting anime early in the morning" - Rebel Taxi

Quote:

By no means is it a hit, but it did do reasonably well in both Japan and US.

Just because there isn't a third season or a sequel series, doesn't mean it wasn't successful. They just simply decided to end it.

It's annoying how so many people think just because it was made for a western audience or that it did better financially over here that it bombed in Japan. It sure didn't do as well, but that's what they were expecting anyway, so it's not a surprise. Although, the first and second seasons (or just the first two cours, whatever suits your fancy) were produced at the same time, so its popularity didn't really have anything to do with it. The second season was guaranteed from the get-go.[/quote]
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
More Space Dandy is always welcome! Very Happy
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
It seems like CN are doing some kind of dump the show and run thing with Beware of the Batman and Sym-Bionic Titan, guessing it's some kind of way of getting around paying parties involved for the shows when they air?

Do they actually have any non-Japanese shows left on the block now aside from Clone Wars (which is also going soon due to Disney airing that Rebels show which imo does not exist so I'm never watching it ever)?

Samurai Jack is still on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6