• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nisekoi Manga Gets 2nd TV Anime Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
A show can have poor production values and still be great.

Well of course. I don't see anyone here saying otherwise.
ss4chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Also, dtm, no offense but since you hated Toradora! as well....maybe romantic comedies aren't your thing...or maybe you are just really hard to please...idk.

Oh, romantic comedies are very much my thing. It's just that Sturgeon's Law means that good romcoms are rare.

Chiibi wrote:
I do know that most times when you go "That anime sucks", I'm not inclined to trust you on that.

Whether you trust me or not about something doesn't change its quality (or the lack thereof).

prove it. so far you seem to have a hatred toward romance and comedies.

did you get dumped so hard in real life or something? :3
ss4chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
ss4chris wrote:
I hope when season 2 starts the manga is finished or close to finishing..

I'm with you on that. Purely for the selfish reason of wanting to see the end of the series animated. I'm not far into the manga (only volume 4) compared to some others, but I don't want a series like this to be dragged out too much longer than it is. It's up to volume 13 in Japan.

And, as someone else mentioned, it would've been nice to have seen Double Arts get the sort of success Nisekoi has. I say this only because that world seemed to be one where exploration with a longer series would've been great.

i guess nisekoi is the successor to double arts

and yay someone on the same page as me.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
t demonstrably is not. If it were, Gundoh Musashi would be just as good as Mushi-shi, and Garzey's Wing would be just as good as Spirited Away. Surely you're not claiming something so ludicrous, right?

That's too extreme. You're trying to oversimplify what Chiibi was saying.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Well of course. I don't see anyone here saying otherwise.
I suppose I worded my post poorly. What I was trying to convey is that your assertions that a show's "quality" is objective depends entirely on what "qualities" are important to the viewer, thus making it subjective. A show can't be objectively good or bad unless everyone agrees on what standards to judge it on. If I am misinterpreting your views then please correct me.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It demonstrably is not. If it were, Gundoh Musashi would be just as good as Mushi-shi, and Garzey's Wing would be just as good as Spirited Away. Surely you're not claiming something so ludicrous, right?

Garzey's Wing is about as good as Spirited Away. Have I just entirely disproven your theory? It seems that it was built on some shaky foundations.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
ss4chris wrote:
i guess nisekoi is the successor to double arts

Only in the sense that Double Arts came first. Laughing

I really liked the world that Komi created in DA, just unfortunate that it didn't last and he had to wrap it up quickly in the end.

It's unfortunate that some fans are starting to feel that Nisekoi is wearing out its welcome. I decided to have a look around to see what the complaints were about, seems most just feel like it is dragging and that too many characters are introduced and not really developed.

While I can't begrudge someone stretching out something that has seen some commercial success, I hope that it doesn't go for too much longer. I say this because I do feel like the premise is flimsy. What made me a fan was the interaction between the characters, but if things drag on even that will get old.

ss4chris wrote:
and yay someone on the same page as me.

Thank god for the internet! Cool
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
That's too extreme. You're trying to oversimplify what Chiibi was saying.

Chiibi made a blanket statement with no wriggle room, so all I had to do was provide any example at all to disprove it. I used those particular examples because - being so extreme - they highlight exactly how ludicrous her assertion was.

ss4chris wrote:
prove it. so far you seem to have a hatred toward romance and comedies.

did you get dumped so hard in real life or something? :3

Why should I even give you the time of day when you are so rude?

I have an anime list, the link is at the bottom of every one of my posts. Use it and find out for yourself that I'm telling the truth about how there are romcoms I like.

shamisen the great wrote:
A show can't be objectively good or bad unless everyone agrees on what standards to judge it on.

That's not how it works. Objectivity isn't the result of some sort of 100% consensus (which would be impossible to achieve anyway), it is an inherent attribute.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
Laughing It always amuses me when dtm42 spouts off about how inherently subjective matters like judging what is or is not "quality" is in fact an objective exercise.

Objectivity exists only in the empirical world - i.e. a world where things can be measured by instruments. You can objectively determine your height in centimeters by using a measuring stick. An alien coming to Earth who knows nothing about human existence would be able to arrive at the same objective answer to how tall you are by using that same measuring stick.

I'd venture that most humans would agree that Michelangelo's David is a masterpiece - an artwork of quality. Would an alien arrive at the same answer? Who knows - there is no objective tool like a measuring stick to arrive at an objective answer.

Such a basic concept yet it continues to elude dtm42 and always will. Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chiibi made a blanket statement with no wriggle room, so all I had to do was provide any example at all to disprove it. I used those particular examples because - being so extreme - they highlight exactly how ludicrous her assertion was.

Um, I wasn't talking about shows which the entire universe agrees are either masterpieces or shit. Rolling Eyes

BUT

I meant that a "quality show" can have different definitions for everyone. If a fan prefers visuals over writing or cohesive plot, an anime that fits that description would probably be a 'quality show' to them. But another fan might value writing or plot above all things so another anime that doesn't have great animation but good story might be a quality show to them.

Me, I define a quality show by whether or not you can tell actual effort was put into it.

I see effort in Nisekoi. The animation's good. The music is good. The seiyuu are outstanding. The writing? It is entirely faithful to the source material so yes, the writing is good on that aspect. The opinion of whether or not the plot is a good plot is entirely subjective. I happen to like the plot. I think it's neat that spoiler[it's basically children imitating a love story from a picture book. It sounds like something little kids would do....then as they got older, they mostly forgot about it and now are trying to rediscover their memories as teens. ]

So sue me if I think that's a creative way to do a harem show. :p I like plots that tie into literature; especially romantic ones.
Of course anime-only watchers wouldn't know that is the REAL plot of Nisekoi, since on the surface it appears that it's about a boy and a girl who hate each other have to pretend to love each other. Nope, that is only the tip of the iceberg.

And I feel that anyone who didn't finish the first season or does not know the true story cannot have a valid opinion of it; thank you. If you're gonna debate, you need to know what you're talking about, otherwise you're just going to look stupid. Rolling Eyes
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
And I feel that anyone who didn't finish the first season or does not know the true story cannot have a valid opinion of it; thank you.

Well, how can that be true when the context of the conversation is the anime? I mean, up until the end of season 1, what you mentioned as being the real story hasn't even been revealed. But, all of a sudden, someone can't have a valid opinion on it if they've only seen the anime? They'd fall nicely into your "does not know the true story" category.

Guess I shouldn't say anything about the anime then. As, I've only seen the 1st season and have only read up until the 4th volume of the manga...neither have even had a hint about what you've said in the spoiler tags.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
But, all of a sudden, someone can't have a valid opinion on it if they've only seen the anime? They'd fall nicely into your "does not know the true story" category.

I think that was directed at dtm42, who has only seen 3 episodes of the anime. Yet here he is condemning the whole thing based on those 3 episodes.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
But, all of a sudden, someone can't have a valid opinion on it if they've only seen the anime? They'd fall nicely into your "does not know the true story" category.

I think that was directed at dtm42, who has only seen 3 episodes of the anime. Yet here he is condemning the whole thing based on those 3 episodes.

Ah, okay. Still, found it a strange comment intially. Had no idea about this, but it just seemed like a statement that Chiibi adheres to for everything.
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
I've had a look on Crunchyroll to see if Nisekoi was still available, unfortunately I couldn't find it anymore. Or could it be that since I'm outside the US, the show the show isn't showing up on the list of shows.

Well, with the second season I hope the first one will be available as well.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
I've had a look on Crunchyroll to see if Nisekoi was still available, unfortunately I couldn't find it anymore. Or could it be that since I'm outside the US, the show the show isn't showing up on the list of shows.

Well, with the second season I hope the first one will be available as well.

Nisekoi is only available to the Americas and South Africa on Crunchyroll, so yes, that is why it's not showing up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5