• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Mohawk52 wrote:
3 shades of grey paint drying so far.
NEXT!

Do you even have anything to look forward to or are you going to be an old codger again?
What do ya mean, again? When did I stop? Laughing
Quote:
Like, you're going to say pass on Psycho-pass 2 and Fate/stay Night as well, aren't you.
Don't miss it! Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I've always seen the homo erectus...

[Beavis and Butthead]Heh-heh-heh. You said "homo erectus." Heh-heh-heh.[/Beavis and Butthead]
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Guile wrote:
I've always seen the homo erectus...

[Beavis and Butthead]Heh-heh-heh. You said "homo erectus." Heh-heh-heh.[/Beavis and Butthead]

Huh-huh-huh. You said "homo." Huh-huh-huh.

...and we're done with that.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Blood- wrote:
When I first read this I rolled my eyes and said, "oh there goes that wacky Chagen46 being Chagen46-ish again." I have only seen the first episode of the TV series and as JesuOtaku says, you don't really get a good look at the Cockroach Peeps.

So I image Googled and... dayum ... Chagen46 might actually be on to something.

They are based on Homo Erectus, at any rate.

I'll admit though the first time I ever heard about the controversy was on this forum in a previous topic. Is there an actual controversy for a majority of people or is it just a few people? I've always seen the homo erectus comparisons until a thread here a few months ago

Its just a couple of people who love to whine, nothing more.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok, Terraformars has some really interesting storyboarding, but it has really BAD animation.

The story is pretty interesting so far, but I have a bit of a suspicion that this one isn't going to turn out to be very good.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I think I guessed Funimation's line-up correctly, but I'm not certain.

Clue #1: “A man sits on the banks of the River Styx and contemplates a remembrance of things past while a matching pair of children play a game nearby. Meanwhile, three brothers ferry a sheep and a wolf across the river under the cover of clouds."

Clue #2: Clue #1 refers to 6 shows.

The six shows I guessed:

1. Rage of Bahamut Genesis
2. Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete
3. Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu
4. Laughing Under the Clouds (Donten ni Warau)
5. A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd (Daitshoukan no Hitsujikai)
6. Garo: Honoo no Kokuin

I figured mine out by process of elimination. Michelle responded to several posts as to how many each person guessed correct from their list. I copied the lists and matched similarities. Looking at my list, I can see where the last 4 are referenced in Clue #1. I'm guessing Rage of Bahamut Genesis is connected to "River Styx" (because of gods?) and Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete is connected to a "remembrance of things past." Online translations of the 2nd show are telling me that it roughly means "In Search of the Lost Future," so I'm not certain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
I suppose a cute girls selling cute doujins anime was inevitable, really.

Yeah, years ago, Comic Party is from 2001 and Doujin Work, which follows a girl who wants to make a quick buck in the doujin biz, is now seven years old. Anyone else getting tired of this crappy condescending attitude critics try to take on that's not backed up by any anime knowledge?

As for Hope's search for a word, I think she's wanting to reach towards iyashikei, but it's really not that when applied here, it's just a low-key comedy about short quips. But the way she's trying to describe shows like that means she'd probably dislike Aria, Sketchbook, Hidamari, GA, and the like, which this anime really isn't in the same vein as.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Nick Creamer wrote:
I suppose a cute girls selling cute doujins anime was inevitable, really.

Yeah, years ago, Comic Party is from 2001 and Doujin Work, which follows a girl who wants to make a quick buck in the doujin biz, is now seven years old. Anyone else getting tired of this crappy condescending attitude critics try to take on that's not backed up by any anime knowledge?

That's not what he meant.

"Cute girls doing [X]" is a common phrase for moe slice of life comedy. He meant specifically in this genre, not "how has there never been an anime about girls working on doujinshi before".

Maybe try and understand what the guy's trying to say before leaping to insults followed by a condemnation of everyone who does what he does. Yeesh.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why is no one, and I repeat, no one ever bringing up the fact that the humanoid cockroaches in Terraformars look like incredibly-racist caricatures of black people?

As an actual black person, they turned me off immediately to the series and I refuse to watch it no matter how good it could possibly be.

Then you missed the discussion of the review for the manga's first volume. Let's say it was...interesting. Laughing

On Denki-gai no Honya-san's first episode, I was surprised to see that all the girls worked there. I must've not been paying close attention, as I thought it was just Hiotan that worked there. Thought that the other girls were going to be regular customers to the store, rather than employees. Laughing

It was a nice enough start. Nothing great, thought the animation was only okay, but I did enjoy the comedy and character interactions.

Though, I have no idea how old the girls are meant to be in this one. Obviously, they're meant to look young, but I guess that the way they look may bother some.

Last edited by Ali07 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
stardf29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So far, I don't think Amagi Brilliant Park has a legit streaming source. Unfortunately.

For what it's worth, it looks like the Japanese airing of the first episode has been delayed until next Monday. So for now, no one's missing anything.

It's also worth noting that the international publisher for the show looks to be TBS, and TBS shows are typically streamed on CR a day or three later than their broadcast.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Even when put like that, it's still no different from Doujin Work, aside from that one maybe having a harsher comedic side and the girls being arguably less cute, but the premise and execution are still nearly the same with major differences being that one only focusing on doujin artists and this one being about employees of a Tora-esque store, some of whom are doujin artists. The major difference would be whether or not they're at the Big Sight when they're selling the stuff, since Denki-gai will be more about the work in the store and selling all kinds of printed merch and not only on the artists. I'll stand by my opinion that people try way too hard to sound clever in these reviews.

Ali07 wrote:
Though, I have no idea how old the girls are meant to be in this one. Obviously, they're meant to look young, but I guess that the way they look may bother some.

The bottom age would have to be 18 if they're holding down jobs, or multiple ones at that, as well as living independently. Joshiraku did the same thing with not making it perfectly clear how old the girls were when they all looked young, but I think a few of them were in their late 20s and married, and all except Kigu were at least 20.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Will watch: Amagi, Grisaia, Sanzoku, Inou, Ushinawareta*, Vanadis*, Sora no Method8, Trinity Seven, and Terra Formars*.

Current schedule layout:
SU: Sora no Method,
Mon: Inou-Battle
T:
W:
TH:
F: Terra Formars
S: Vanadis, Ushinawareta
*Simulcast

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hope Chapman, Denkigai wrote:
Anyway, I hear the words sawayaka and suzushii tossed around for these kinds of anime fairly often, but I'm not sure if, like moe, a more concrete term for the intent or phenomenon has been settled on.

There's "iyashikei", of which Aria is the defining example. I'm not sure it really applies to this, but it's not like there are specific requirements for show to be considered that, and like 'moe', it seems somewhat viewer dependent. I don't consider cute-girls-doing-things to be inherently 'iyashikei' though, and I don't see it used for most such shows.

In any case, while I'm all for cute-girls-doing-things shows (in theory at least; they can be somewhat hit and miss for me), I really didn't care for this Denkigai. It was pleasant and cute, so I'll probably watch a bit more, but nothing really grabbed me and I couldn't even remember any of the names other than "Sensei" by the time the credits rolled. And what I glimpsed of the preview suggests the next episode will have more potential to be irritating. I'll just also note that several other people that, like me, are often very much into these kinds of shows, responded to this one with a big "meh".

And I watched the first two episodes of Gundam in Reconguista-G and.... eeeeeeeaaaaaaargh. After Kirito, Jesus Oniisama and goddamn Inaho, I am reeeeeeeally sick of hypercompetent protags like Bell. And he doesn't even have the justifications that at least two of the others have. He's also incredibly boring, except when he's being annoying because he's such a special snowflake. And let's just say this is not changing Gundam's recent trend of making the 80s series look remarkably progressive in comparison when it comes to female characters.

spoiler[But seriously, let's talk about the women in this show: one is seemingly brain damaged and spends most of the first two episodes and 90% of her lines screaming "G!!!!!!!" while exhibiting anime-PTSD, one of the other main girls is defined by her goal of looking for husband and getting really irritated by the pilot girl being in Bell's general vicitiny, and said pilot girl probably won't be piloting that suit much if at all anymore because gotta give it to MC-kun (which is so incredibly obnoxious in a genre were 99.9% of the pilots are men and female protagonists are virtually non-existent). Oh, and Looking-for-a-husband girl (who has perhaps the most hilariously Gundam name this side of Hallelujah Haptism) apparently goes to Cheerleader School. I *might* have seen a few women in the pilot student group in one shot right after Nug first appeared but they sure never appeared again. If there weren't actually women there, then it appears piloting is strictly for men while women get to be cheerleaders. The only slight positive I can give the show is that I was surprised that the Operations Director was Bell's mother, but she'll probably get killed off within the next episode or two anyway.]

I would have tried Terraformars (of which I read about 6 volumes last year out of curiosity after I heard about it), but then I heard about the ridiculous violence censorship and noooooooope. Do that kind of thing to nudity and meh, whatever. But censoring action scenes makes shows really hard to watch for me. I dropped Tokyo Ghoul last season about 10 seconds into episode 2 because this exact thing made it completely unwatchable. But I suppose it's for the best, it sounds like the anime is a rather poor adaptation and I'm trying to keep my watch list slim this season.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Guile wrote:
They are based on Homo Erectus, at any rate.

I'll admit though the first time I ever heard about the controversy was on this forum in a previous topic. Is there an actual controversy for a majority of people or is it just a few people? I've always seen the homo erectus comparisons until a thread here a few months ago

Its just a couple of people who love to whine, nothing more.

4chan's been on to the similarity and making jokes out of it for quite some time.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Gave Terraformars a try since there has been nothing to watch this week but:

-Horribly awkward dialogue
-Abismal animation
-Terrible Zetman vibes -broody teenagers+boobs+humanoid insects
-Awful filters
-"Hurr durr my eyes are up here"
-Overall not really interesting plot or characters
-Tired "tragic backstory"
-The amount of off-model faces that could rival SMC episode 3
-Overall unattractive character designs

vs.

-That one scene with spoiler[the guy breaking down when he hears of his friend's death that felt very genuine.
]

Yeah, I think I'm not going to bother any further with this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 33