• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Although I would like to point out there was probably more fan service in this movie than in the series + 2 movies combined. Not like that it was a bad thing though.

The series had fan service? Never noticed anything like that. Confused

It probably had borderline little fan service.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
@Chagen46

Once you get to the H scenes, I expect some great YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO's from you. But yes, Lucifer's pr0nz collection can be quite amusing.

They are amazing.

I heard the second one has shota-on-shota, I don't know if I can handle such gloriousness in such a short time.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
So I'm currently chomping my way through three series.

The first is Crazy Lesbian Pilots Forced Into War Even Though All They Want To Do Is Rape One Another (Iteration #12).

The second is Typical Shoujo Romcom Where Girl Is Average, Klutzy And Almost Completely Useless And Guy Is Totally Amazing In Every Way Possible (Iteration #343).

But the third is a true anime classic; Ocean Battleship Yamato. For those who don't know the plot, here is a summary of what I've watched thus far. The year is 1949 and for several years the Federation of Japan has been at war with the evil American Empire, which is ruled by people who look exactly like the Japanese except they have different colour skin. Well, "war" is a bit generous for the Japanese, who are in reality close to being exterminated. After losing its outer rim of fortifications, colonies, as well as most of its fleet, Japan is powerless to stop the constant bombardment of nuclear missiles that the Americans send their way. This has left the Japanese home islands barren and radioactive, forcing the few surviving citizens to live underground. But the groundwater is now radioactive too, and soon all the citizens will be dead. But the Empress of the far away but very technologically advanced Prussia takes pity on the poor and helpless Japanese. She sends them plans for a "nuclear reactor", a brand new type of powerplant which will provide essentially unlimited energy, as well as the necessary "uranium core" to run it. The Japanese are also able to figure out the secret to making a powerful new weapon called a "laser beam", which requires a huge amount of energy to operate; thankfully the reactor is capable of such electrical output. Finally, the Empress tells the Japanese that if they can make it to Prussia she will give them a device full of "radiation-scrubbing bacteria", the key to Japan's survival.

The Japanese jump at the chance, and look for a ship capable of getting them there. They discover the wreck of the battleship Yamato, repair it and equip it with the reactor and weapon. It is crewed by Japan's remaining best and brightest, and its captain is a legendary warrior who made a name for himself at the Battle of Tsushima several decades earlier. The ship's first order of business is to destroy the base on captured Okinawa which is sending the nukes, however before this can happen the Yamato inadvertently stumbles into a massive American carrier off Kyushu. Its crew uses the laser cannon for the first time. They are shocked at how quickly it can melt an enemy ship and how much the weapon drains the Yamato's power, and vow to be more circumspect about its use. Once the enemy's Okinawa base is destroyed and Japan is freed from the immediate threat of nuclear bombardment the ship then sails south. The crew are allowed to talk with loved ones before the Yamato passes beyond the effective range of shortwave radio. Whilst pinned against a powerful cyclone through which they dare not sail, the Yamato battles President for Life Eisenhower and the Imperial American forces stationed at the Philippines. Later on, a sandbank off the coast of Java traps the Yamato and an American destroyer, and the two crews must come to a mutual understanding. The Yamato uses its laser to make a gap in the sandbank wide enough for the two ships to pass and the destroyer tows them free. It is at this time the Yamato's crew receives some shocking news from a captured American pilot. Turns out that thanks to a hawkish Japanese admiral ordering an attack on Pearl Harbor without permission, Japan was actually the aggressor in the war, contrary to the propaganda the Yamato's crew had believed. This leaves them confused and angry.

But press on they must, for the sake of their country and their loved ones back home. A failed mutiny while anchored off the coast of Ceylon wastes valuable time, and with a protracted battle against a tenacious submarine factored in the ship is well behind schedule. So the captain decides to take a shortcut through the Suez Canal, which will take the Yamato straight to the continent of Europe in which Prussia resides. This route bypasses all of Africa and takes an enormous amount of distance (and therefore time) off the journey. There are two downsides however. The first is that the Red Sea is plagued by powerful whirlpools. And secondly, and more worrisome, the Suez Canal is held by the enemy and the Yamato will have to deal with the massive fleet guarding it. Their gumption is rewarded and they break through, but a top American admiral called Nimitz has laid a trap at Gibraltar, past which the Yamato will have to sail in order to get out of the Mediterranean. After a fierce battle in which American carrier-born aircraft inflict huge damage onto the Yamato, the ship limps into the Atlantic, temporarily safe but not out of the woods yet. And that's as far as I've gotten, but I hope to finish the series today or tomorrow.

Sure sounds like a series that's totally not pretending that Japan were the good guys in WW2, am I right?

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42,

That should be "limps into the Atlantic", my New Zealander friend.

Sounds like an awesome anime. As an American Imperialist, I happen to know how it will end. Oh, indeed I do. Muah ha ha ha haaaa! (ahem)

No one can stand up to the might of the American Empire!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Bugger; that's such an elementary mistake to make. Well, I did write the post at six o'clock in the morning after having had no sleep the night before. In fact, I'm surprised the rest of it is so lucid, given how near-comatose I was and all.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The second is Typical Shoujo Romcom Where Girl Is Average, Klutzy And Almost Completely Useless And Guy Is Totally Amazing In Every Way Possible (Iteration #343).

I love shoujo but I've always stayed far away from stuff like Itazura na Kiss.Not only is the art WAY too dated for me...but I can't stand it when the guy is God-like in all his perfection and the girl is just an air-headed loser who can't do anything right.
Sexist much, anime?

I know it's meant to be wish fulfillment, but if you give the heroine TOO many flaws, nobody will be able to identify with her and just get disgusted with her; (see Miaka-hate with the FY fandom where fans would much rather yaoi it instead.)

Same goes for Magical Girlfriend/harem anime where the guy is the loser.

YOU COULD BALANCE THE CHARACTERS OUT A LITTLE?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nobody wants to see a total loser paired with a total winner either way because it feels like blatant pandering with its message, "This idiot could be YOU! Come watch this to live out your fantasy of having a perfect lover!" and that makes it feel cheap. At least for me.

Oh also, "she loves him at first sight even though he's a jerk to her"? OF COURSE!! Because making her like him through actual positive interaction would be far too much effort. Why not take the oldest, easiest, most eye-rolling cliche that was invented back when stories were written on scrolls with feather pens?
NOBODY GETS TIRED OF THAT.

Lol sorry for the rant. I just hate this stuff....

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. About two thirds into it. Very famous series in the canon of animation and one that I felt I must educate myself about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I can't tell if you like Space Battleship Yamato or not, dtm!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I just came back from two years in Japan, where I didn't watch much anime at all (I had no TV - I did rent some movies, though, and saw The Wind Rises in theaters). So since coming back I've been doing two things: catching up on shows I missed and re-watching my old collection.

Since coming back, I've watched:
>Attack on Titan (loved it)
>Eccentric Family (liked it, want to rewatch it with better internet so that it's not stopping every five minutes to buffer)
>Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (liked the world it's set in more than the story itself, so I'm really looking forward to the sequel)
>Natsume's Book of Friends, season 3 and 4 (this series is always good, and the fourth season is my favorite so far)
>Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail (definitely liked it, and I couldn't even tell that, apparently, it's trimmed down a lot from the manga)
>Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (had some dud episodes, but oh did I love the ending. spoiler[I know some people were disappointed that it turned out were didn't get her backstory, but that's what I loved about it. It's a total subversion of your unconsciously sexist expectation that in order for a woman to be promiscuous she has to be "damaged," which we don't assume for male characters, like Lupin III.])
>Psycho-Pass (the first half seemed to be almost trying too hard to be shocking, but when it settled down with its awesome villain in the second half I was hooked)

I've also rewatched:
Baccano!
Gankutsuou
Wolf's Rain

Right now I am watching:
>Gatchaman Crowds, because Nakamura is being high concept ala [C] while still having a good story and characters, like Mononoke.
>Revolutionary Girl Utena, because it's my favorite series of all time and I haven't yet watched all of the Apocalypse Saga on Noizomi's gorgeous release.

I am planning to try watching:
>Flowers of Evil, because the ANN staff loved it, and the clips I saw on youtube looked creepy.
>Chihayafuru, because everyone seems to love it, though I don't know if I'll have time to finish it before I have to put my CR account on hold.
>Kids on the Slope, because I just found out my library has a copy.

And of course the rest of my collection. It's good to be back home. Smile
snoopy82481

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I am new here but been marathoning it for the past week.

Watched Majestic Prince all the way through since DirecTV took it off the direct for anime network and I never got to watch it. Loved it, the main character's goal to be a hero was a good plot line.

Watched Infinite Stratos up to the latest episode. Kinda into those where the guy has all the girls fawning over him but is too big of an idiot to realize it. But the story is really good and the art is amazing. Plus it is mecha, which is the style I like.

Watched Toradora. Started watching it about a year ago but didn't pick it up after episode 3 or 4 and forgot about it until browsing through hulu+. After that I was hooked, reminds me a lot of Clanned and After Story. Minus the tissues after spoiler[Nagisa dies after the baby is born, and when their daughter died.] I have to say I think I kind of like the romantic comedies as much as mecha.

Vivedred operation a little on the strange side for me, kind of reminds me a little of blue drop. But a little less lesbian sided. But not too bad.

Aquarion Evol started watching it, thinking it might be like the original, but got bored after the 5th episode and probably won't complete it.

Bushou Shinki Nice little change of pace. Little dolls with armor, what can go wrong with that.

Girls und Panzer Very nice art and good story line. Plus it has tanks who can go wrong with that.

Mashiroiro Syphony Had me a for a loop from the 1st episode, kept me interested all the way through with the many twists and turns.

Samuri Harem reminds me a lot of Ruroni Kenshin. which reminds me, i really need to watch that series all the way through. Only seen a few episodes.

But right now I am watching Highschool DxD still on the fence about this one. Not real fond of these types of anime. Where the guy is such a perve and the show is all about the boobs. I watched Heavens lost property and had to skip over a few parts because it was too much pervyness for even me.

I think that is everything over the last week or so.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
I finished Blue Gender. It was every bit the steamy pile I thought it was since episode 1, but I'll admit episodes 20-23 were pretty neat. Then the series (and whatever character development there was) took a severe nosedive after spoiler[Tony and Alicia died and Senomiyagi became a dictator shit]. The ending was super rushed and in the end, it was impossible to know if whatever shit Yuji did in trying to communicate with Earth -or something like that- had any effect at all. There was then a super weird ending sequence that sort of worked as an epilogue in which spoiler[Senomiyagi gets slaughtered and Marlene and Yuji get reunited whatthefuckdidIjustwatch.]. Also, everyone who was not Yuji or Marlene was mindblowingly stupid and/or didn't have the slightest survival instinct and just sat there wasting bullets while getting eaten by Blues. Rated it Weak

I also marathoned Black Lagoon. It was a lot of stupid fun and I enjoyed it a lot. In some ways it's very similar to Cowboy Bebop, epecially in how the best part of the show is the relationship between the members of the crew. I really liked its honesty and how it doesn't dance around the subject. The Lagoon guys and the people of Roanapur are not "heroes" they're criminals who won't hesitate to get their hands dirty and who live under completely different rules than the rest of us. This is most noticeable in the contrasting relationship between Rock and Revy, two polar opposites who still manage to reach a certain level of understanding and sympathy for each other. Overall I really enjoyed it and rated it Excellent
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Taking a short break from Familiar of Zero... I can only take so much of a tsun-tsun-tsun-(dere) literally whipping the hero in one go. zbut then, I left off in the middle of the second season, if it follows the pattern of the first season she will suddenly start to become tolerable again (until the start of the third).

Did a rewatch of Chunbiyo to prepare myself for the new season. It made me realize it was one of those shows that worked really well on a weekly basis. Marathoning it isn't bad, but it feels just a tad bit rushed.

I also decided I wanted to remind myself of the details of Saki, but after getting through the first episode I realized I really didn't want to bother watching it all again. Instead I tracked down some scanilations and read through the prefectural tournament and finished up watching the anime original individual tournament and some parts of the episodes of Achiga-hen that featured the Saki cast. That franchise worries me though. I enjoyed the original the first time I watched it, and have watched it again at least one other time. I always considered slightly stupid but with a lot of silly fun and hilariously over the top yuri content. But I could barely tolerate Achiga-hen and this read/watch has me further seeing only the "stupid" of the series.

Coincidentally I also just started watching Itazura na Kiss too and am questioning my decision to do so. It not just that the girl is a ditz and the guy is a snobby jerk. So far the guy is a complete elitist douche-nozzle that deserves a punch in the crotch as a morning greeting and she's maybe a bit dim, but also just a normal girl who you don't so much sympathize with so much as feel sorry for.
I wouldn't bother continuing if it didn't have such a high rating, but it does, so I will, for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I can't tell if you like Space Battleship Yamato or not, dtm!

The setting is space, the word is even right there in the title, but all the combat and ship/fighter designs and battles are supposed to resemble warfare on the high seas. And the laws of physics are regularly thrown out the window to allow ships and fighters to act like they are on Earth. Of course, other franchises such as Gundam are also extremely guilty of this. Can't the writers of mecha and space opera series think three-dimensionally for once?

I love the CG and music and such, and the class/racial warfare and character development are both pretty good too. But the underlying romance of the show is clearly about making Imperial Japan into the good guys and the Americans the bad guys. It wouldn't be all that offensive if the Japanese military hadn't taken hundreds of thousands of women as sex slaves and killed tens of millions of innocents all throughout eastern and south eastern Asia. I get that Japan in the seventies was a quickly-growing economic powerhouse that was trying to re-establish its identity as a strong independent nation. But, such romanticism and wistfulness for those militaristic decades was not the way to do it.

Chiibi wrote:
Quote:

I love shoujo but I've always stayed far away from stuff like Itazura na Kiss.Not only is the art WAY too dated for me...but I can't stand it when the guy is God-like in all his perfection and the girl is just an air-headed loser who can't do anything right.
Sexist much, anime?

It can be argued that such heroines win their man not by being the most pretty, athletic or intelligent of girls but by being fundamentally decent human beings with sweet personalities. But on the other side of the coin, the message seems to be that a girl can win any man over if she promises to be completely devoted to him to the point where her entire identity is based on pleasing and serving him. And he needs to only offer a scrap of kindness now and then to keep her happy.

For example, in Itazura na Kiss, spoiler[Kotoko and Naoki actually get married, and on the plane to their honeymoon destination of Hawaii they run into another Japanese newlywed couple. The wife of said couple is really beautiful and tries to seduce Naoki, who is more handsome than her beta male husband. This woman flirts with him and monopolises his time right in front of Kotoko, his own wife with whom he is on a honeymoon with. And Naoki doesn't push the woman off or tell her to get lost or anything. They spend virtually their entire honeymoon with this vixen, making Kotoko feel extremely anxious and upset (as she has every right to be). Kotoko, having not had a single second of alone time with her new husband and being yelled at by him for being jealous, runs out of the hotel and gets lost. When Naoki finds her they go back to the hotel and have sex for the first time, and Kotoko acts like this makes up for literally days of neglect on her own goddamn honeymoon.]

That's one thing I don't like about those sorts of Shoujo heroines. A single scrap of kindness towards them from the male lead will nourish them for months, even if it is a "kindness" that a reasonable person would expect anyway. They don't hold their love interests, boyfriends and yes, even husbands up to a sane standard. These girls believe that all they have to do is sacrifice enough of their time and energy and identity, and the meager scraps of kindness and love sent their way from their men are more than ample reward. In the case of Itazura na Kiss it was sweet and funny when it could be passed off as the puppy love of a clueless girl trying to win over a clearly disinterested guy; there were many good laughs to be had in the early episodes. But as soon as it progressed to the stage where he began to fall in love with her then it became a bit creepy, because he was now treating the girl he loves with the same coldness he had before he loved her.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
For whatever's worth, I did warn you about Itazurana Kiss. My feelings are very similar to yours, although it's been ages since I watched that and must embarrassingly confess that I did sort of like it back then (I was 14, don't judge me). But even back then, blinded as I was by my teenager stupidity, I was very creeped out by the way Kotoko is treated as a female lead, completely suppressing her own persona in favor of pleasing her alpha male crush. I already mentioned the part about herspoiler[ career change], but the spoiler[honeymoon] episode is one of the most memorable parts because of how terrible the whole thing is. I don't quite remember the details, butspoiler[ the dude was being a complete dick to her in their freaking honeymoon, and instead of getting mad at him she beats herself up about it, and then the guy reprimands her when she confronts him about it.] Seriously what the fudge

I know the original manga is from the 90's or something (which is still a bit disturbing), but remaking it into an anime in the 21st century and somehow believing Kotoko is a good role model for teenage girls is just [expletive] wrong. And the goddamn thing keeps getting remake over remake as if it were the ultimate shojo romance. What the flying fudge.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Well, just a couple more episodes in and looking more at the comments here has convinced me to drop it. Honestly, from the descriptions given the relationship sounds barely more healthy than Nana K./Hachi and Takumi in Nana (you know- only missing the flagrant psychological abuse, personal extortion, and light sexual abuse).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 794 of 1062