• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions Needed: Kio Shimoku Interview

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I'd LOVE to see another season of Nidaime happen. If I'm remembering right, it didn't completely finish out the remaining story of the manga(?) I'll definitely be looking forward to the interview.
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I asked some questions! Huzzah!

So...what do I win? A Bluray boxset? I'll send you my address and it'll be here by next week, right?

...R-right?
Lusbox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely love Genshiken, shame I don't have anything to really ask him, will have to wrack my brain.
Gonna look forward to reading this!
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I loved what I started from Genshiken sometime ago, now I got a good reason to binge on my volumes which span to Nidaime's first volume and the Return of the Otaku novel (Del Rey did localise it).
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
I had some desire to contribute, but now it is already past the deadline. It would have taken me some time to formulate good questions. One of them would have been something like this:

"Often in manga/anime, the relevance of a character (especially of a female character) correlates highly with their physical attractiveness. In Genshiken Nidaime, the character Yajima does not fit this stereotype as the story is told from her point of view recurringly despite her modest appearance. When creating the character, did you deliberately try to go against the convention? Moreover, do you see her as a 'moe' character?"

Edit: Does the wording "despite her modest appearance" come off as offensive? It would be nice to know from someone whose English skills are more reliable.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
"Often in manga/anime, the relevance of a character (especially of a female character) correlates highly with their physical attractiveness.

I cant wrap my head around that (or rather, I refuse to put my time into an anime industry that would promote such thinking). Instead, it always seemed to me that anime/manga creators simply just overlooked different/odd-looking characters so that they represented the most ideal versions of the personalities floating around in their head for the story (i.e. the mental picture I have of myself is obviously not blue nor shoots flames out my rear).

It should thusly go without saying, I avoid and am fairly ignorant of most moe/fanservice-y stuff out there.

While you might have a partial argument with characters like Faye (Cowboy Bebop) or literally any girl in Kirito's harem on SAO, I'd like to point out both Meryl & Milly (Trigun), or Lain (Serial Experiements Lain) - all three of them get hefty chunks of screen time and are fairly plain-looking.

Either way, the question sounds a bit "off" when I read/say it to myself. I'm personally less interested in why the characters look the way they do & more interested in what inspired them to be included in the first place. Maybe industry conventions are actually included within that answer - I'd just hope it wasn't an exclusive focus with no deeper meaning is all. It'd be more interesting to find that Kio had known someone similar to Yajima in the past & thus included her for that reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1