• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Passes on Goddess Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And I'm still wanting someone to do YUA S2.....someone....please....

Paging dlw... Wink
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Actually, according to my sources, as well as a contact of mine who is very good friends with Hidenori Matsubara, there will be a third season for AMG as the sales on the Season 2 seem to be doing very well. It's just that the animatorts on AMG haven't had a break since the television series began and they need a break.

Also, the same creative team are preparing to start work on four Evangelion movies that are currently being readied for 2007, as was reported by ANN some weeks ago, if I'm not mistaken.

From what I've also heard, Fujishima-san is preparing for work on a new YUA Live Action series that's being rumored to take place after the last episode of the previous Live Action YUA series and that he also wants to the television series of AMG to take a break.

These reports are from various members from my own site as well as someone I've been in contact with over at Megatokyo.com who is a personal friend of Hidenorai Matsubara.

Most likely, the AMG series will return in 2008.
pknecron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
pknecron wrote:

Try Amazon.ca

Not really an option, I don't have a credit card, and, in my current financial situation, while it's somewhat improved from what it was half a year ago, I'm not in any rush to get one.

I know there are other options for ordering online without a credit card, but they're none too convenient, and I'm a 32-year old old fogey who just prefers the visceral experience of physically browsing DVDs at a brick-and-mortar retail location (especially considering that I live within walking distance of an HMV and a Best Buy and a Future Shop and Ottawa's only anime speciality store).

Hehe, 33 year older fogey here, but I can never find what I want at my local stores, so I use Amazon because they have pretty much everything that's available. I do understand what you are saying though.
Shinji Takase

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
From what I've also heard, Fujishima-san is preparing for work on a new YUA Live Action series that's being rumored to take place after the last episode of the previous Live Action YUA series and that he also wants to the television series of AMG to take a break.

The first YUA!Live suffered from poor ratings and direct competition (there were 2 other "police shows" at the time) to said show walked all over them.

YUA!Live had lots of potential, and the characters, in some respects, were better than their anime/manga counterparts, but spent too much time without a clear direction.

Hopefully, YUA2!Live will correct this.

But this show, honestly, has been in the rumor mill since the last episode aired years ago.

Takase Shinji
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
ToonZone claims that M-B licensed it, but they've been wrong about such things in the past; they listed Mai-Otome as a Bandai license initially after AX IIRC.

That would be because Bandai announced it at AX, with permission from the Japanese licensor, even though they were still working out some details in the contract.

As for MB and AMG, they had said they wanted it and an assumption was made that they had it but weren't ready to announce it yet. But now we know they were outbid by someone who was willing to include a digital/DRM package in their contract. I'm really hoping it was Geneon, but that digital rights part makes it sound more like ADV or maybe Funimation.

Anyway, the bigger news is the four new licenses we got out of this. MB really needs to announce things a little louder rather than just name drop quietly in other threads. I'm only interested in Kashimashi. Noodle Fighter Miki/Ramen Girl and Princess Princess don't interest me, and I didn't like what I saw of Girls High. But Kashimashi is awesome news, and with the release date for the first disc set for March I'm even happier.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm happy for the fans of those titles, I still think that Ah! My Goddess is the bigger news. Oh well, at least it's coming over. That's still the best news.
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd view it as bigger news if no one had it, and it was being left to float in limbo. But this is Goddess, a guarenteed license. As it is, to me it's just not a big deal. It's like Naruto being licensed. There's just no thrill in the announcement. Sure, it's a bit of a surprise that MB doesn't have it, but again, we know it's been licensed. The bigger news will come when we know just who picked it up, and if it's another surpriser like Gals 2.

But then we got 4 licensing announcements out of it, and for series that a lot of people thought wouldn't get picked up. To me, those are much bigger news. And I bet JS had fun dropping them like he did. Kind of like, "Oh, did we forget to mention..." Very Happy
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
ToonZone claims that M-B licensed it, but they've been wrong about such things in the past; they listed Mai-Otome as a Bandai license initially after AX IIRC. ASki and AoD have it in their license databases, but hey, if the Media-Blasters rep says it isn't licensed, we have to believe him. EDIT: *sarcasm off* for this post.

I'm not sure which way to read your post, whether you're talking about Mai Otome or AMG Season 2. If it's AMG Season 2, we do not have that in our license list, just the first season.
Guess I should have actually checked AoD's list before making that post--I thought I remembered some frontpage item about putting it on the license list in order to match up with the licensing list at a major fansub site, but my mistake.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
I think I'd view it as bigger news if no one had it, and it was being left to float in limbo. But this is Goddess, a guarenteed license. As it is, to me it's just not a big deal. It's like Naruto being licensed. There's just no thrill in the announcement. Sure, it's a bit of a surprise that MB doesn't have it, but again, we know it's been licensed. The bigger news will come when we know just who picked it up, and if it's another surpriser like Gals 2.

But then we got 4 licensing announcements out of it, and for series that a lot of people thought wouldn't get picked up. To me, those are much bigger news. And I bet JS had fun dropping them like he did. Kind of like, "Oh, did we forget to mention..." Very Happy

Actually, it was more like trying to stem the wave of disappointment in that thread imo.
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Actually, it was more like trying to stem the wave of disappointment in that thread imo.

Probably. But knowing it's licensed was enough. Short of it being picked up by Viz or 4Kids, I'm not disappointed at all that MB doesn't have it. The dub doesn't matter to me at all, and the other companies are good enough. I'd actually prefer Geneon to MB, truth be told.
Hoshigami68

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
I don't care who picks up the license for the second season, as long as they get decent voice talents for the characters. Geneon has good products, but it takes longer for them to release their DVD's between chapters. ADV and Funimation release their titles quicker, so I hope one of them will try to get the licensing. Ah! My Goddess first season was great, so heres hoping that the second season is of the same quality.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote
So it's not like it wasn't licensed for for NA, but actually licensed by someone else for NA who hasn't raised their hand as yet. Whoever it is, probably is waiting for a convention to make a grand announcement. I actually perfered tha character designs of the OVA and Movie rather than the pastie flat designs of the TV series, and seeing as that TV series is following closely to the manga it's not a surprise it's rather slow and long winded. It has to be the longest waiting marrage proposal in manga history next to Ranma1/2. Most VA's are freelance so it's not impossible for the same VA's to move to the new VO Booth. Wink
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So it's not like it wasn't licensed for for NA, but actually licensed by someone else for NA who hasn't raised their hand as yet. Whoever it is, probably is waiting for a convention to make a grand announcement. I actually perfered the character designs of the OVA and Movie rather than the pastie flat designs of the TV series, and seeing as that TV series is following closely to the manga it's not a surprise it's rather slow and long winded. It has to be the longest waiting marrage proposal in manga history next to Ranma1/2. Most VA's are freelance so it's not impossible for the same VA's to move to the new VO Booth. Wink

I agree with you that whoever has the license is waiting to make that announcement at one of the 2007 anime conventions.

IN regards to the television series, the animation quality is expected. OVA designs (straight to video) and ANime Films are generally higher because they have a larger budget to work with. With anime television shows, they generally have a small budget for each episode to work with and if you compare an OVA against the television series (see You're Under Arrest) you always have that difference between the anime quality.

You're Under Arrest OVA (TV Episodes 1-4) compared against the regular television eps (Episodes 5-51) you can see a noticeable difference in the anime design because with TV Shows, they don't usually have the same budget as they have with OVA's, so the animators can spend a little more on them.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Most VA's are freelance so it's not impossible for the same VA's to move to the new VO Booth. Wink

But when the booth is 3,000 miles away from their pillow, most VA's find the commute to work a bit difficult. Wink Wink
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Not only that but most VA's actually need to be in close proximity to the recording studio as the pay for VA's here in the states don't generally get paid all that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6