• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Midwinter Blahs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Twage:
Quote:
Because Sailor Moon specifically is a notoriously difficult property to work with.

So is Evangelion, but that didn't stop them from getting the Rebuild movies.
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
The only other real option for a publisher of DMP's small size is self-distribution, which may not be worth it.

Yeah, they used to distribute themselves too. But, stopped a few years back.

Twage wrote:
Picturebox licensed Underground Men, not DMP. And Unico was licensed by DMP a year before they made the deal for the entire library.

Sorry, I should have wrote that last part of my post out differently. I didn't mean to bring those titles up in terms of Digital Manga's relationship with Tezuka Pro. Embarassed Just as examples of Tezuka titles that were desirable for Vertical and how it's easier to buy Vertical's books for me. Unico in particular makes me feel like it shouldn't have needed to be published through Kickstarter but, we'll never know. Also, I have never had a problem buying PictureBox's releases. (Too bad they're not in business anymore.)
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So is Evangelion, but that didn't stop them from getting the Rebuild movies.

Licensing something is impossible until it isn't. Obviously Funimation is capable of pursuing both Eva and Sailor Moon at the same time. Eva just worked out earlier.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Twage: Or maybe it's because fans here actually buy Eva, instead of just saying they'll buy it? Rolling Eyes
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Twage: Or maybe it's because fans here actually buy Eva, instead of just saying they'll buy it? Rolling Eyes

The first Bluray set isn't even out yet and it's among Amazon's bestselling anime. And Sailor Moon was the bestselling manga in America in 2012. What are you talking about?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Twage:
Quote:
The first Bluray set isn't even out yet and it's among Amazon's bestselling anime.

We'll see how long that lasts for the rest of the show.

Quote:
And Sailor Moon was the bestselling manga in America in 2012.

The manga sells, because it's cheap.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
FUNi doesn't have the Eva series yet, just the films, which I would imagine must be easier to deal with because who owns them is clear.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
FUNi doesn't have the Eva series yet, just the films, which I would imagine must be easier to deal with because who owns them is clear.

Gainax isn't credited with "original work" anymore as of the 14th and final volume of Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's Evangelion manga. Guess the copyright was fully transferred to Khara.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Twage wrote:
The first Bluray set isn't even out yet and it's among Amazon's bestselling anime.

Uh, I'm confused again. Are we not talking about North America? Because that set of Sailor Moon is out. I even received Part 2 now as well. The Season 1 Part 2 LE BD is currently the bestselling pre-order on Amazon.com right now in Anime and #7 overall for the Anime category.
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Twage:
Quote:

Quote:
And Sailor Moon was the bestselling manga in America in 2012.

The manga sells, because it's cheap.

$10.99 x 12 volumes = $131.88, or adding on the short stories and Sailor V, $175.84. Not that cheap, man. In fact, pretty comparable to the DVD prices. (And before you go there, every single volume has been a bestseller, so quite a few people are buying them all.) Even the six-volume box sets, priced at $65.94, are still selling very well. Face it, man. Girls have money and are spending it on things they like, even nerd things. It doesn't matter if you put up a NO GIRLS ALLOWED sign. Everybody's already made it inside the treehouse.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Twage:
Quote:
$10.99 x 12 volumes = $131.88, or adding on the short stories and Sailor V, $175.84.

It gets lower with markdowns and store discounts.

Quote:
Girls have money and are spending it on things they like, even nerd things.

{GATSU, enough with the sexism. ~nbahn}
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Gatsu, you're trying to close the gate after the horse made it to the next state(and took the gate with it). The anime fandom is pretty well 50/50, whether you like it or not.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Polycell:
Quote:
Gatsu, you're trying to close the gate after the horse made it to the next state(and took the gate with it). The anime fandom is pretty well 50/50, whether you like it or not.

That's what they said before Princess Ai, Kodocha, Shojo Beat, and DC's Minx line. Rolling Eyes
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
All right, guys, clearly this back and forth is going nowhere right now. GATSU's stance obviously won't change so there's no point in continuing. Besides, if anyone did take Answerman up on his dare, I imagine we'll get a whole nother week of it starting on Friday.

GATSU, I'd cool the jets now, if I were you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7