• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga for Monster Girl Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure we are still in the idol age.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

not quite. for non anime fans,yes. but their are some if not most of anime fans in the otaku community that think that the entire twilight series is an complete abomination.

Yeah, like many of 'em have even seen/read it. What do they say again about people who critique anime/manga they haven't seen/read? (Maybe they should look at themselves in the mirror.)

jr0904 wrote:

It was the same for the hunger games since its technically an edited & inferior version of Battle Royale.

Battle Royale is just one aspect of humanity, and Lord of the Flies did it better. Besides, Hunger Games is way more political ala 1984 - it's more than just battles within the arena; a lot of battles are outside of it.

mangamuscle wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Well, because vampires are technically a type of monster, they could go on this list. The same thing goes for werewolves, orcs, fairies, goblins, trolls, dragons, etc.

The reason why IMO R+V (a manga I like and the reason I despise Gonzo) is not in the list is because the new "monster girls" genre refers to girls that LOOK monstrous (so demihumans like elves and dwarves are out, orcs and goblinoids are ok) and cannot transform into a 100% human form. So a vampire to be considered for this list would probably be the undead kind, like the ones in Shiki with black eyes and maybe pointed ears to go with the canines. Same with demons, they would need to have permanent wings and/or hoofed feet, similar to dragons.

What about, say, the Monster High girls anime? Laughing

consignia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Misore would have made it. I do not even know the name for the kind of ice monster that she is.

A Yuki-onna, a vengeful spirit of a woman who appears in the snow and typically dresses in white.

I think there's enough variance in monster girls for Rosario+Vampire to make the list, if it was so desired.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What about, say, the Monster High girls anime? Laughing

http://i.imgur.com/eyoXr6k.jpg

Nope, if people saw them in the street and think "cosplayers" they are not monster girls. On the other hand, if you have the urge to run or dial 911, you are right on the money Very Happy Of course it is spring, so there might be some horny males that would succumb to their allure even in real life. Laughing

p.s. The girls from Watashi ha Jitsu ha also would not qualify.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The monster girl genre kinda gives me the creeps, but that mermaid one looks and sounds pretty cute, so I may give that one a look. That Dropkick one sounds amusing too. And isn't Mon Colle Knights a kids series? Because that Monster Collection manga looks pretty mature. Was the tcg for kids or older players?
Oh, and I don't really care much for Monogatari but Tsubasa's hot and voiced by Yui Horie so I chose her.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Wouldn't My Bride is a Mermaid (Seto no Hanayome) technically count as well?

Maybe, but if it did, then you would have to include Squid Girl too. Think that mermaid show they did include, was mainly because they were non-standard mermaids.

Also, aren't monstrous mermaids called 'sirens' anyway.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Maybe, but if it did, then you would have to include Squid Girl too.

Don't underestimate Ika Musume, one of this day she is going to start her invasion and bang, zoom, to the moon! Anime hyper

p.s.

SpacemanHardy wrote:

Haven't seen it but seems like your typical "mermaid acts as a human". Whereas i.e. in Muromi-san mermaids act like a different species (and some of them are beyond frightening) even if the series is a comedy.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yes! I think that Sun Seto is the BEST monster girlfriend out there!

Holo from Spice and Wolf might count as well... Though she isn't very monstrous, except when she is in her wolf form...

(Very technically, Belldandy should count as well. In the final arc of the manga [spoiler]Keiichi is shown what the "true form" of the demons and goddesses looks like, or at least an abstract representation of such, and he is reminded that she is not the beautiful, human looking girl that she appears to be, but an N-Dimentional being who is represented by this beautiful three dimensional form when she is shoe-horned into this limited reality)

(Zakuro from Otome Youkai Zakuro might also be a good choice, though some might prefer Susukihotaru.)
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
I so do not get this fetish...
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
I am honestly tempted to read Monster Musume now. I don't go for ecchi stuff at all, but a series that includes a 'Headless horsewoman' as a harem member is so delightfully absurd i think i have to check it out Anime hyper

From what i hear the series is pretty tongue-in-cheek, so i could get behind that.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Holo from Spice and Wolf might count as well... Though she isn't very monstrous, except when she is in her wolf form...

(Very technically, Belldandy should count as well. In the final arc of the manga spoiler[Keiichi is shown what the "true form" of the demons and goddesses looks like, or at least an abstract representation of such, and he is reminded that she is not the beautiful, human looking girl that she appears to be, but an N-Dimentional being who is represented by this beautiful three dimensional form when she is shoe-horned into this limited reality)]

(Zakuro from Otome Youkai Zakuro might also be a good choice, though some might prefer Susukihotaru.)

We have had in anime for decades girls that are youkai/goddess/demons/aliens that can in an instant take human form and easily blend in human society.

But monster girls are different, the idea is that you don't add a human form (unless said monster really had one, like were-creatures) to their abilities, they have their own society/culture (and at least at first are ignorant of details of human society) and they cannot easily blend in human society. So i.e. no matter how monstrous Nyaruko spoiler[or Belldandy] is in her true(?) form, she is not a monster girl since for all practical purposes she is a human female.

If we consider Migi (from Parasyte) a female (since it is voiced by Aya Hirano) then she would be a monster girl. I find interesting how monster girls plots can be less human centric, but of course that depends on each individual mangaka.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Man, every single time I see Hitomi-sensei I end up going "AAH!"
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
A Centaur's Life can get really random and screwed up sometimes...

I will agree with you. Sometimes I wonder what the creator was trying to do. I reads like "walked into something" at an odd time. Think of it like free writing. Whatever comes to mind just put it down. But I enjoy it immensely.

Didn't expect to see Monster Collection on the list. Man that's an oldie. And of course MM had to make the list, that's my guilty pleasure. I'm hoping to read his new book 12 Beasts, which is scheduled later this year. Should be an interesting read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3