• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Show By Rock!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
The treant is one of the less impressive dark monsters to me. Since it isn`t tied to Shinimonogurui I really don`t see why they picked it.

They seem to just be choosing bosses at random. That one was the Dropout Sensei boss.

But my personal favorite boss is probably the Ninjinriot boss, the fire one. I love its design and I hope it makes an appearance in this anime.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Loved the look of yokai street, think Tsurezure`s demon gate would have fit better. They could have kept it to the dark monsters of the focus teams.

Not a big fan of Shingan Quartet compared to Falling Roses but they need to have an actual concert as the music was hard to hear verses the sound effects.

I want Cheeti....
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I want Cheeti....

Yes, I want StuddoBan Gyasshu to appear too. Cheety would have a different VA though since hers retired last year. Of course, they wouldn't perform, but it'd still be nice to see them. They're one of my favorite bands (hence my avatar of Feneri).
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Still new to Show by Rock in general, does that mean they are unlikely to expand the song Library for Studdoban Gyashu (weird translation by the company since it`s written sutaddo). I hope the rest of the series is a little more ambitious. These past few episodes make it seem like Sanrio isn`t expecting to keep the anime going. Always a little sad when producers seem to limit their own work. Next episode really needs a stage performance.

I really loved the art style with Shingan Crimson running through Yokai street though. It`s not that this episode was bad, it just still kind of feels too seperate from the way the series started.

I also still don`t really see what is so adult about this show. The main difference this show has from other Sanrio productions is human looking characters. Yeah there are more adult centered jokes, but the plots and stories would fit other Sanrio works. Does Sanrio think battle and human = adult? The most risque this show has gotten was in the first episode with maple`s fetish, and even that was not that emphasized. What am I missing that makes this show something that can`t air on a regular time slot?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:

I really loved the art style with Shingan Crimson running through Yokai street though. It`s not that this episode was bad, it just still kind of feels too seperate from the way the series started.

This show feels like it's playing a tug-a-war with each other in how much screentime those 2 bands should have. Primarily this show is about Cyan and her band, but MAN once Shingan Crimson comes along, they hijack a lot of the attention and the jokes. It's like 2 different series smoosh together. Hopefully later episodes they'll interact more so it doesn't seem separate.

It would be amusing to see how popularity polls of the bands and characters are spread out among both male and female fanbases.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I`m definitely more of a fan of Plasmagica. I kind of feel Shingan might drop off the spotlight soon since this is about Cyan.

The way it`s moved away from Plasmagica though makes me feel a bit like the rest of the show might be filled with cameos like this one with Shinimonogurui. If they decided to only focus on the 5 bands, they are kind of losing that to an attempt to please fans of other groups. Also why did they only give 1 song to each other group? Trichronica, Criticrista, and Tsurezure should all have gotten at least 2 songs.

I was sure at the beginning that the concerts would be the focus of the show, not sure why that ended up changing now.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
What am I missing that makes this show something that can`t air on a regular time slot?

The game itself may have something to do with it. Rapezziauto's song NAKED is about sex. So if it were to air at a normal timeslot when kids could see it, they may get introduced to the even moreso kid un-friendly game. There's likely more stuff that I'm just not aware of due to my lack of Japanese knowledge, I'm willing to bet there's more in the game, like in the in-game episodes or something.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
I haven`t played the song NAKED yet, from what I can read the stories are very focused on being musicians and performing live. Almost every scene is broke up between before concert and after concert. Things like Retori`s feelings of not being a valued member or Cheeti`s embarassment with the fact she`s seen as the focus of her band.

I`m not taking the time to dissect and fully understand a lot of the stories but they all seem pretty innocent from what I`ve read. And a big tip off is that the bands in the show act very much like they do in the game. Some of the cards are slightly suggestive like the Shingan Crimson normal cards, and the ultra rares are more sexual at times, but compared to where shounen can go I feel this product is very light.

Maybe the time slot was chosen specifically to pick up their target demographic since the goal of this liscense is to attract the older males who like cute things to Sanrio`s wonderful cuteness.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I am close to dropping this series. It promised colors, music and cuties and this episode didn't give me aaAAaany of that (well, maybe a few colors)
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Amy, Plasmagica and Shingan CrimsonZ are both meant to be the main focus, Plasmagica isn't meant to be any more important than Shingan, even if Cyan is the main character.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
Amy, Plasmagica and Shingan CrimsonZ are both meant to be the main focus, Plasmagica isn't meant to be any more important than Shingan, even if Cyan is the main character.

While it's true that Shingan gets a lot of screen time, I always got the impression that Plasmagica was meant to be the show's primary focus. I mean, the members of Shingan don't appear at all in the opening - and when they briefly appear in the ending, they're lumped in with all the other supporting players. I think the boys qualify as secondary characters, albeit very important ones.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:

While it's true that Shingan gets a lot of screen time, I always got the impression that Plasmagica was meant to be the show's primary focus. I mean, the members of Shingan don't appear at all in the opening - and when they briefly appear in the ending, they're lumped in with all the other supporting players. I think the boys qualify as secondary characters, albeit very important ones.

Both Cyan and Crow were always advertised as the main protagonists of SB69 from the beginning when the game came out. They also said before the anime's airing that both bands would be equally important. Of course, in the game, there really isn't a main character at all, there are currently 20 bands, with 85 members in said bands, and all of them get pretty equal time for themselves, aside from that bands that haven't been in the game as long as others naturally have less episodes.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
The rematch reasoning is obvious. Dagger still wants Cyan to perform better as he sees her as his best tool. Rosia is focused on Cyan because Dagger makes such a big deal out of her. Plasmagica would get quite a lot of attention if they were to beat Criticrista now.

Hopefully the next episode really is a battle of the bands. A few too many searching episodes.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
After seeing this episode, I'm convinced that the main characters are always in Myumon-form and we're only seeing them as humans. This was probably obvious to everyone but me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Hmmm, if my ears don't deceive me (but they might), that's Hiroyuki Yoshino voicing Dagger's imprisoned songwriter. Which would indicate a connection between him and Strawberry Heart. Maybe he goes missing when he has to be interacting with Dagger?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7