• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About the Performing Arts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookieBun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Glass Mask is one of my favorite manga series ever. It's hardcore like a shonen series except with old school shoujo sparkles instead of brawny muscle men. Soooo fun. I feel like the anime is a watered down version of it to be honest, but it's still pretty good. I highly recommend the manga though!

I'm also wondering where Nodame Cantabile is in the list as well. Sad
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Even though it has its origins in a video-game....Sakura Taisen anyone?
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad someone remembers Bakumatsu. If theatre was in, then is Skip Beat counted? But I guess only one genre counted.

It's just an Anime Next short, but I'd list Aki no Kanade (drumming) in.

Not surprised that Death Parade top last week list though. BTW, this week list spoils JoJo's powers, and isn't spoiler[The World and time stop] the same?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
I'm also wondering where Nodame Cantabile is in the list as well. Sad

It's there at No. 4, just not as a final selection.

The List wrote:
Classical music could easily be its own column as plenty of anime and manga focus on the subject like Nodame Cantabile, Tari Tari, La Corda D'Oro - primo passo, and Piano.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Hakajin wrote:
I would've gone with "Nodame" over "Your Lie." I liked the latter ok, but... I thought Nodame dealt with music a lot better. First and most importantly, it struck a balance between the importance of expressing yourself and expressing the composer, while "Your Lie" was all about the former.

This is somewhat true, but I don't really see it as a problem. Part of the goal of "Your Lie" is to get viewers to understand the appeal of classical music. As good as "Nodame" is to some people, it completely failed at that for me (dropped it out of sheer boredom).

Classical music is unpopular mainly because it seems distant and static. People think it's just an attempt to replicate a song written by some guy who died hundreds of years ago, and which has already been performed exactly the same way countless times. (And, well, they're not too far off. Old classical music stays popular partly out of ultra-long-term nostalgia, and there's a relative lack of composers these days because most of the musicians would rather just play the old stuff.) Emphasizing a need to "communicate with the composer" only makes that negative impression stronger.

Arima learns to reproduce what the composer wanted first, but doesn't enjoy it until he learns to express himself, too. At first he goes kinda off-script, but he eventually merges his own feelings with those of the piece, as seen in the last episode. Learning to connect with the music you're playing and "make it your own" is probably the single most common musician's mantra, implying both self-expression and composer-expression, and I think they got that point across very well. They didn't need to come out and say "look! he's learned to express his feelings through the lens of this centuries-old composer's feelings!" because you could see that happening.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Cool list!

Also, to join the Nodame vs Shigatsu discussion: I don't think either show is necessarily "better" in the musical aspect. It's just that one is less flawed over the other (Nodame being flawless hehe)
I actually appreciate that Shigatsu isn't as accurate with the musical parts.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Cielito_Lindo wrote:
What about Nodame Cantabile??? Perhaps I'm too old...
That was the first one I thought of as well. The whole list could have been filled with shows involving music, so I understand the rationale for keeping it, K-ON, Kids on the Slope, BECK, etc. off.

Well the article makes clear up the top that it is doing the traditional performing arts. So although Nodame could fit, the rest would not.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Woah, massive win for Death Parade there! But, I'm happy my vote, Maria the Virgin Witch, made it in 3rd place.

Quick question, wasn't Rakugo what the girls in Joshiraku do in the opening scene of each episode? Or were they doing something else?

As for this week's poll, went with the Imagine Breaker.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking about finishing moves that makes things somewhat different...

The fun of having powers like Gum-gum abilities, electro-master or Alchemy is in it's diversity rather than it being one specific. If we're talking about one specific move then my preference would be a super powered punch of some sort like Detroit Smash, Janjanken (seriously, where is that?), or an Imagine Breaker punch if I wanna knock out overpowered douche bags specifically.

Realistically however I think we'd all use the secret joestar techniqe.

Also what about Ryouko's Sen-in-shou-shitsu? You could send em flying AND strip them naked! That'd definitely end a fight.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Well the article makes clear up the top that it is doing the traditional performing arts. So although Nodame could fit, the rest would not.

Uhm... The article says that:
Quote:
The traditional Western performing arts include music, theatre, dance, comedy, and opera.

How is Kids on the Slope not about music? Confused
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Any "best of" list that includes Princess Tutu is a very fine list indeed. Cool
Mertal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I keep reading these personal opinion articles, for I always end up extremely irritated.

Really, Nodame Cantabile only passingly mentioned and not truly on the list?

Are you kidding me??
xyz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
The two finest ones in the category for me are: 1. Glass Mask, and 2. Nodame Cantabile. Nothing ese matters as far as I'm concerned.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
This is somewhat true, but I don't really see it as a problem. Part of the goal of "Your Lie" is to get viewers to understand the appeal of classical music. As good as "Nodame" is to some people, it completely failed at that for me (dropped it out of sheer boredom).

Did you get as far as the episode in which Nodame inspires a bit of creativity in the orchestra recital's Gershwin performance?:
(Live-action because the anime clip was blocked on YT: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzuIKXPLEcE

The class was assigned to deliver a new staging, and as we see, unique classical presentation is still alive. Smile
SerialXperiment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Glass Mask for the win. Sentai, finish what you started, not-so-nice-people. I need my scary OP actress on my shelf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3