• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Book Chronicles Sailor Moon's Effect on a Generation of Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I'm a 100% STRAIGHT fan of Sailor Moon (who could look at Jupiter and not be)?) and I don't care who knows it.
I like the characters for the characters and the stories for the stories.
Anybody else is just using the series--or one cherry-picked season of the series--to make themselves look good.

Don't worry folks, Dr. Drew is here. He knows you better than you know yourselves. He's a true fan of anime and is supporting it for the right reasons, so he has authority to 'tsk tsk' you for being a poor, lying fan.

-----

It sounds like an interesting book, regardless. Sailor Moon was my first introduction to lesbian characters, which I think did help me form my own opinions on the matter. I thought they were adorable together despite growing up in a conservative town and attending church weekly. It made me realize I was just more open-minded on the matter and didn't agree with what was being preached to me by other people. Actually having gay friends (and finding women attractive) was a bigger factor, but Sailor Moon was my first introduction and I appreciate it for that.

I also appreciated it for just having a bunch of women fighters in general. Despite them being girlier than what my tomboy self appreciated, I still liked watching female lead characters save the day and fight the bad guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm glad to know that because reading about Haruka and Michiru's relationship in the manga helped me figure out that I was bisexual, that must be the only thing I got out of it and I'm not a "sincere" fan of the Sailor Moon franchise.

I can't have enjoyed it on TV as a little kid long before I even had a sexual orientation to figure out. Nope.

(Although like Lili-Hime, I had a girl-crush on Sailor Mars. Guess I was "dishonest" about my fandom even back then!)

Anyway, I'd like to see this get translated into English. It would be neat to compare and contrast the Japanese fan reception with the Western one. It's celebrated here as this hugely feminist show, but I think there are some good criticisms to be made of Sailor Moon in that regard. I wonder if Japanese fans view it differently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

(Although like Lili-Hime, I had a girl-crush on Sailor Mars. Guess I was "dishonest" about my fandom even back then!)

You poor soul, how sad it is that our sexuality poisons our view of everything we watch or read ;__; Hey wait a second.... if finding the female characters attractive is 'insincere', where does that leave the straight boys who watched this show?

EricJ2 wrote:

If you, for example, were to ask a fan and get:
Quote:
Q: "Who were your favorite characters?"
A: "I liked Haruka and Michiru, because they were my first positive image of LGBT characters!"
Q: "What was your favorite episode?"
A: "I liked the episode where Haruka and Michiru compete in the Best Couples contest, and almost beat Naru and Umino, because they're showing they're proud of who they are!"
"

one might have unfair reason to suspect that the fan's love of the entire show was not exactly that sincere.

Umm..... if they relate strongly to Haruka and Michiru why isn't their love of the show sincere? It can be different things to different people. O.o Those answers aren't any less sincere or valid than your own. Neither does me being gay mean that those moments were my favorite in the show, because I had too many to count. I commented about my sexuality because the book is about its impact on women in their late 20's / early 30's (of which I am one). Strangely the Nurse Venus episode & the end of the R movie are my faves too, even though we're different people. Smile
Supermutant

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
It was the show that made me an anime fan. I went from a casual fan to someone who was interested more and more. The more I found out about Sailor Moon the more I wanted to know more about anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2