• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I know its anime and all, but tough to care for someone who will attempt murder just to make himself look good.

Very mixed feelings about this one.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Man, Yu is a mega-douche.

He actually doesn't compare favorably to Light Yagami, who at least was trying to use his powers for the good of everyone.

I sure hope his captors, his imouto and the story instill some sense of morality in him. I am not inclined to spend time identifying with a total dickwad.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Cheating on tests and such I think is pretty understandable. If kids got super powers that's one of the first things they'd use it for. Causing the truck to crash crossed a line.

But I think it's already shown clearly that he does have quite the soft spot for his sister so there's hope for him.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
That was something, an episode of some sort. Comedy was attempted with some success, drama was hinted at zero success with a not quite there, let's say dead, brother but let's leave it at "brother" because if it's the father who was forgotten by the children then... I don't know, their mother got divorced from a ghost? Action was quick and confusing, the plot was...

Look, the whole first episode felt like a mash-up of several first episodes with each one being about four minutes; Charlotte seems to be mostly about people who gain temporary special abilities...and it's a secret somehow. Hey, remember From a New World or Elfen Lied? Well, forget them because no one gets super powers that are dangerous or... No, they don't get powers that are visible to the masses or...

Damn it, Maede, get your head out of your own rectum and stop creating worlds to justify your desired character type; Either they're a temporary band of "x brand" mutants, you know the ones I mean, who have to be monitored closely all the time or they're harmless and the "school" is there to protect them until they lose their powers.

The episode was also about an egotistical nobody who has a five second body controlling ability... but he can't control his own body when he's swapped. So he passed that off as a form of narcolepsy... that only occurs during tests? It raised some suspicions... but only during high school? And he was doing this because... Japan has competitive exams and Maede's fishing for an audience? I'm sure there will be some inner compulsive reason for his actions later on, he wants to be a success for [blank] but as it is, it's kind of dumb. He wouldn't do much of anything until the last five minutes of a test when he'd go trough a series of alternating fits of intense work and seizures and no one stops him or worries or becomes suspicious until its good for the intended plot? "Oh, it's him, he's just kind of strange."

The episode was also about a brother and sister pair... who are living on their own but the sister has vague memories of someone not there. They love each other but their mother left them and their rely on their uncle for support but don't live with him. They eventually get scholarships and some housing from a special benefactor. The girl has a fondness for astronomy and the school is names Hoshinouma which I'm sure has some sort of meaning attached to it for her but really... don't care.

This show was about some criminal who set up a meet cute by almost killing several people and was eventually run down by some guy who had super speed/teleportation abilities. Also, the girl in question had some sort of personality swap and went from ditzy groupie to crass oujo in one scene. This all happens, never gets mentioned again. Move on.

A mess, in other words. Can it get more cohesive? I don't know, that would mean it'd have to make sense logically...

The only thing I really liked was the fact that all the powers were broken somehow but since they're only supposed to be temporary, it just becomes a double addition to the question of why keep it a secret. The "how they keep it a secret" is, I don't know, beyond this premise's ability to think?

Also, who are "they"? I know, "watch and find out" but it seems like I'm not supposed to be asking that yet.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't really share in this handwringing over Yuu - I don't think I want to relate to or even like every protagonist. That would be boring. It's nice to get a front row seat for viewpoints different from your own sometimes. Yeah, he's an awful person but I found him to be a reasonably compelling awful person and I'm interested in the road ahead for him.

I think the 180 of Yuu's love interest makes a lot of sense when you figure that his actions while fleeing the school probably did a lot to knock off the rose-tinted glasses her manufactured rescue put on her. Then, the things said by the protagonist during their meeting after the fact come across as pretty selfish without the context, which he can't share. This is all ignoring the possibility something was said to her by one of the pursuers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
His little sister's odd speech pattern is surely a plot point, isn't it? Probably something to do with the phantom sibling.

Anybody know why this is called Charlotte?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Man, Yu is a mega-douche. I'm glad to see his bad behaviour blow up in his face, especially this early on.

I agree. Yuu is an ass....I mean, DON'T STAGE AN ACCIDENT TO SAVE A GIRL. THAT'S SO....not cool at all.

But I'm glad spoiler[she dumped him.]

I was liking him until he pulled that....but hey, that's what character development is for, right?

I want to call him Kanie Seiya 2.0. Did you catch they have the same seiyuu? Anime hyper

Quote:
Damn it, Maede, get your head out of your own rectum and stop creating worlds to justify your desired character type

Maeda has the right to create any world he wants. It's ignorant to accuse him of "having his head up his ass" just because you don't like his idea. What's so wrong with what he does anyway?

Quote:
His little sister's odd speech pattern is surely a plot point, isn't it?

DE GOZARU! :'D
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Well, I think the OP theme song is interesting. It's catchy, has a KEY vibe to it, and I'm guessing it has some foreshadowing. The part with Yuu and Nao in the air is the most noticeable part imo.

I find Yuu's reaction to be quite amusing considering now that people in the class knows the real him lol..

Nice episode though, a nice balance of drama and comedy. It's interesting that we see both a fun and emotional side from Nao. Well, I guess not too emotional but her past is quite something...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shakes7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
As my first post here I want to say how delighted I am by there being a mention of post-rock, a genre that makes me sound like a hipster no matter how much I try otherwise. I'm hoping there will be more than just a reference to come given the context.

On the show as a whole I like how, while not a huge ass anymore, the MC isn't automatically super helpful and only very begrudgingly goes along with their plans. I'm glad to see that his likely reclamation as a good person will take a bit more than one or two episodes.

Lastly that shot near the end of them looking out on the sea was amazing and I'm looking forward to more like it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
It's interesting that we see both a fun and emotional side from Nao. Well, I guess not too emotional but her past is quite something...

This seems to be developing its characters pretty nicely even if they are doing it a bit faster than strictly necessary. Yu does seem to have a soul after all but even though he is reluctant it is pretty obvious that he has to get with his now council's agenda.

You do have to swallow the idea that "scientists" can do that to not only citizens but minor citizens with impunity. It is sort of depressing how everyone just accepts that so matter-of-factly.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

You do have to swallow the idea that "scientists" can do that to not only citizens but minor citizens with impunity. It is sort of depressing how everyone just accepts that so matter-of-factly.

Yeah she basically talked about human experimentation without batting an eyelash.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It's one of those things where you can go "But there are laws against that!" but in reality should super powers appear human rights are the last thing the government or some big corporation cares about.

Heck, I recently read an article that said the government performed biological warfare experiments on the people of San Fransico without their knowledge.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Heck, I recently read an article that said the government performed biological warfare experiments on the people of San Fransico without their knowledge.

Yeah, I read that one, what made it worst is that the courts decided that "it was within the US Government's power to do so"
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
^ OH, yes. The U.S. government has done thing s like that. The Tuskegee Experiment for example is quite notorious. There are of course others. It makes you wonder what they did that was successfully buried.

When I said it was depressing, part of the reason it is that such things do actually have precedent in real life, and there are amazing percentages of the population that are pretty much OK with it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

It looks like we are seeing where the emotional side of this story will be. Finding out the female heroine's dark tale so early like this, it reminds me further of Angel Beats. Did their mother knew what she was getting into? Was she forced into it?

I think the character I am most worried about right now is the sister, she has a likelihood of having powers, and it seems foreseeable that someone may kidnap her.

I did not say it last week, but my thoughts are that their extra family member could be a brother who used his powers to make them forget him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16