• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex USA Outlines Imported Fate/stay night: UBW Blu-ray Box II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Could just use your money and buy a PS4 instead.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
I honestly find it more amusing in the fact that there are people defending AoA's insane prices, almost five hundred dollars for a 13 episode anime set that isn't even dubbed and comes with an audio drama and special booklet with staff interviews ALL IN JAPANESE with a translation book thats only available through AoA's website and even then still at over four hundred dollars before shipping you suckers must be pretty well off because last I checked Five hundred dollars is more then enough to cover two months rent plus amenities at my apartment, every time I see AoA's prices for their sets a part of me dies a little on the inside as an anime fan, as a collector, and as a smart shopper

It boils down to the ever green classic "I spend more money than you therefore I'm a better fan than you are". 500 $ for 13 episodes ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Oh boy, it sure wins over watching some bilionaire lighting up a good ol' Franklin. Bilionaires are out, Aniplex is in. If you don't know how to burn your money Aniplex's for you. XXI century indeed. Anime exclamation

I didn't realise it was even worse. It's 1000 $ for the whole 26 episode series. One thousand $ !!!! Even in Japan you can't justify such preposterous prices. No wonder the Otaku are ridiculed by the everyday man and woman. Burn baby burn those Franklins like there is no tomorrow. Laughing
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Foxaika wrote:
Good thing people have more than one kidney. Laughing Having two might not help with the arm and the leg though...

It is unfair to criticize AoA for the price of a Japanese import. Save the complaining for the eventual $130 domestic set.

It was a joke. I really wasn't complaining about the price seriously. I was saying it was expensive. Which it is, to me at least.

SouthPacific wrote:
Comments about limbs and internal organs in a two-sentence post... Impressive. If you had decided to add another line I would assume it'd be something about Aniplex USA needing to adopt Funi/Sentai prices

And your assumption would be wrong, because that thought wouldn't cross my mind, and I said all I wanted to say. If I wanted to say more, I would have.

Last edited by Foxaika on Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Does every thread that associates with a Aniplex release have to devolve into a debate about their pricing? We could discuss the merits of the title and why one should or shouldn't watch it perhaps.
TerminatrixPhD

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
looks at prices

Well damn let me just use projection and create some money first...
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again.

First let me start by saying I actually don't like UBW that much it looks amazing but I still prefer the Fate Route and was hoping this series stuck to the plan of a whole new original route but didn't in the end.

Now back on to the constant whiners about the price yes the whole series will cost you up to $800.00 dollars new. But it's a import set the same set the Japanese are getting, released at the same time as them no waiting. And wait for it they put English Subtitles so for those who don't understand Japanese can watch it and enjoy it. If their was no subtitles most people wouldn't even bother importing it at all.

You can wait a couple years and it will be a fraction of the price and will more than likely have English Dub as well if that is a must.

The thing is if people have the money and can afford it, or are willing to save up for it why is that so wrong? Is it their fault or mine we have better jobs than you or that we have more disposable income?

If people want something and are willing to pay it that is none of your business what they do with their money.

Some people after a certain price point based on budget, or pricinples, or just stubborness will not a pay over a certain price. And that is their choice. Then buy something else and don't bitch about what other people are paying for something you refuse to buy.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be importing from the UK for these sets then. Probably by late 2017 or early 2018 their cheap sets should be out.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Similar to the first set, the second set's suggested retail price is US$498.98, but the official FatestaynightUSA.com website is listing the set for US$398.98.

DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Does every thread that associates with a Aniplex release have to devolve into a debate about their pricing?

Pretty much, yeah. Cause if you beat a dead horse long enough, its constant twitching will give the illusion of movement.

Kirkdawg wrote:
We could discuss the merits of the title and why one should or shouldn't watch it perhaps.

I'd be happy to discuss the merits of this show with you.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
Can't wait for the dub. Any idea when they're going to announce it?

well we know who's going to be voicing who except for Saber, for some reason that character always gets a different dub voice for every iteration of fate
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
The thing is if people have the money and can afford it, or are willing to save up for it why is that so wrong? Is it their fault or mine we have better jobs than you or that we have more disposable income?

If people want something and are willing to pay it that is none of your business what they do with their money.

Honestly, I can't help but think this is a straw man. I don't think that the complaint is that some people spend money on something that some other people can't afford. In general, it seems to less about the raw price, and more about opportunity cost. With things like this, it's extremely high. I think it's a disservice to your perspective to shoehorn everyone who thinks prices are too high for something into this argument. At the end of the day, I think what people want is lower opportunity cost, not necessarily something that perfectly fits into a limited budget. I'm sure there are people who fall into the narrow group you make, but I doubt they are the majority who comment about the prices.

Quote:

Some people after a certain price point based on budget, or pricinples, or just stubborness will not a pay over a certain price. And that is their choice. Then buy something else and don't bitch about what other people are paying for something you refuse to buy.

You somewhat get to my point here(the bolded), but then you go back to something that I think is a bit of a mistake in reasoning. The issue is the assumption that the complaints are not from paying customers. One can complain about high opportunity cost while still purchasing the item. Additionally, I don't think the complaints from the people who don't purchase something are directed at those who do. I suppose you could say it is indirectly, as they are supporting that price, but that doesn't seem to be raison d'être of the comments. Anyway, that's enough about that.

Kirkdawg wrote:
We could discuss the merits of the title and why one should or shouldn't watch it perhaps

What's stopping you exactly? I mean, it's not as if you couldn't give your thoughts on the series in your post. If people are interested in doing that, and at least one seems to be, I don't see why you can't. That's part of the reason I came to the thread: to see what people thought. I haven't seen the show myself.

DmonHiro wrote:

Pretty much, yeah. Cause if you beat a dead horse long enough, its constant twitching will give the illusion of movement.

If it's twitching, is not that actual movement, and not the illusion of movement? Laughing
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
$400??!! So cheap!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:
We could discuss the merits of the title and why one should or shouldn't watch it perhaps

That's part of the reason I came to the thread: to see what people thought. I haven't seen the show myself.

I haven't seen it either (although I have a CR subscription), but I went ahead and ordered the standard release of the first set from AmazonJP for ~$240 (¥28859), along with a couple of Yuuki Yuuna BDs, Shirobako BD 6, and the new-content Yamato 2199 movie BD (AmazonJP-exclusive with the digipak/box for all of the 2199 BDs, IIRC).

If I like the first F/SN BD set enough, maybe I'll order the AmazonJP-?exclusive? version of the second set.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Why is this so much more expensive than the Japanese version? That one has a retail of $311, and goes on Amazon for $230. This is ridiculous, considering that their other sets are usually cheaper in North America. You could just import the subbed Japanese version for less and get exactly the same product.
PopetherevXXVIII

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
How is Aniplex still in business?

They get no business from me. This isn't Japan $60 single Blu Rays don't fly here. I don't usually Advocate Piracy........Unless Aniplex is involved. (and no I won't provide links or anything, just saying as a general statement)

REMEMBER BANDAI ANIPLEX REMEMBER BANDAI!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4