• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2015 Ghost in the Shell Film's Theatrical Preview Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Oh whew--I thought, "They can't have finished that Scarlett Johanson thing already!"
Ditto. Like the art direction in Arise, the live action movie is gonna suck.

This preview, there is something about Arise that is repulsive. I want more GITS, arise is not it. I grabbed the dub rips, I still can't bring myself to finish it. Its so mediocre. It's not the GITS I know and love.

But it looks basically identical to Stand Alone Complex, except the cast looks a little younger. The scenes are composed mostly the same, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Both look identical which is good as the esthetic has been nailed and turned iconic and the biggest difference between Arise and SAC is the more down to earth characterization and the stronger militaristic focus. GitS hasn´t been milked to death in the animated field too despite the reasonable amount of content as IG keeps finding angles and story hooks to make the world feel fresh despite overlapping narrative beats. Different teams and time to rest between "universes" will lead to that i guess. The only mistake is the lack of ponytail for Batou and they should go for a full season of 13 eps next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Martin G. wrote:
Wow, all the people responsible for the failure of GITS ARISE are back! It's a bit difficult getting excited for another badly constructed, convoluted script, sterile visuals, generic designs and a boring soundtrack.

oh wow I didn't get around to Arise, it's sad hearing it failed Sad

Arise is fine. It's about the same as Stand Alone Complex, but that's why people haven't been getting into it: it doesn't really add anything new to the GitS franchise that wasn't already done in SAC. It's more of the same, and while that same is still good, it's just not as groundbreaking anymore.

SAC might be a bit better, writing-wise, but Arise is pretty good.

I don't think Arise is particularly good. It was mediocre for me (YMMV). When they have to pull ideas and make callbacks to the original movie then it feels like they stole a play from JJ Abrams--he who cannot go boldly go into new territory(yes I'm talking about his Star Trek reboot). I didn't have problems with it visually, but story wise it was meh for me and it goes to what you said "it doesn't really add anything new", but it does recycle. I would also say that its not the same, but less. I haven't really been impressed with Tow Ubukata's work even though he seems to be one of the current darlings.

I'll still give the film a chance, it may surprise me but my expectations are low.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Funimation released all 4 episodes?

I only have the first blu-ray.

Or are we talking about those non-dubbed import-special-editions?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty much expecting this to be Arise " part 6/episode 11-12" but I'm still looking forward to it.

residentgrigo wrote:
the biggest difference between Arise and SAC is the more down to earth characterization and the stronger militaristic focus.

^This. Although I think Arise is thematically closest to SAC 2nd Gig.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2