• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Ranked The World's Most Livable City

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
topics like these reminds me how much the world sucks.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Portland is only liveable if you are an artistic vegan. Other than that its a pain to get around and its only real value is "first fridays" and having no sales tax.
pikopika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The survey looks at a number of metrics including...the number of bookshops...

This just makes me want to visit Tokyo more! lol
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Most liveable city? Tokyo? Were this magazine's editors completely smashed when they decided on that? Or did they just randomly throw a dart at a globe?
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty sure that Tokyo was incredibly expensive as a city and would henceforth be knocked down pretty hard for a "most livable" list. I don't know if I'm wrong or if this list doesn't weigh in on finances as much.
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I was pretty sure that Tokyo was incredibly expensive as a city and would henceforth be knocked down pretty hard for a "most livable" list. I don't know if I'm wrong or if this list doesn't weigh in on finances as much.
I thought this as well. Everything I've ever heard or read says Tokyo is obscenely expensive to live in.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Portland is only liveable if you are an artistic vegan. Other than that its a pain to get around and its only real value is "first fridays" and having no sales tax.

If you're a craft beer nut, like myself, that is another reason. Though I doubt enough of one to make me move there heh.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

When people talk about how expensive it is to live in Tokyo, they mostly talk about the price of land and property, which really is pretty expensive compared to other parts of the world. However, if you add everything else to the ecuation, such as food, water, electricity and specially domestic appliances, which are super cheap, you'll find out that Tokyo actually doesn't demand much from your wallet.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Glad to live in it! Smile It is a great place to live.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Glad to live in it! Smile It is a great place to live.

Very lucky. One day you should invite me over!! haha
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Well The Economist's Intelligence Unit's Most Liveable City has had Melbourne # 1 since 2011.

Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

I have lived in Tokyo for one year and I can assure you that the only things expensive in Tokyo are rent and transportation. And honestly if you are willing to live in a smaller apartment and cycle to work/school everyday, the expenses aren't that high in fact. Food and entertainment are sort of cheap there, at least when you compare them with another city in the list, say, Singapore.

Although I would say, having now moved to Sapporo, Hokkaido, it's a much more livable place for me than Tokyo in my opinion.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
This is the dumbest article I've ever heard of the only reason why this exists is so the euro trash can feel superior when compared to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with tokyo or japan at all I just believe that as long as you are happy and proud of the place you call home then it is the best place in the world to live no matter where you are. Exclamation
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I thought the city occasionally has smog clouds...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The survey looks at a number of metrics including international flights to the location, crime rates, the number of sunny days, tolerance, unemployment rate, upcoming developments, electric car charging ports, culture, the number of bookshops, green space, street life, and how much dinner costs on a Sunday. All these and more factors are taken into account when the staff comprises its Top 25 Most Livable Cities.

While air quality, overcrowding, housing space and costs, multicultural tolerance, traffic accidents and public safety at night are just minor quibbles...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2