• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Anime's Story Details Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Regarding tone, IMO, it should be a mix. I don't want a full-on happy comedy, but it doesn't need to be all-action either.

IMO, the reason GT failed was because it really had a hard time mixing both, and doing neither right (the comedy was lame, and the action was mostly surprisingly boring).

IMO, Battle of Gods did a better job mixing the action and comedy; this series, with Toriyama actually involved in some way, should fare as well.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
So this isn't the Goku who would leave his family to live with Uub? It's just the Goku who wants to do it?

Silly working plotline; Send an invoice to Capsule Corp/the world president: "World saved four times. You're welcome. Please pay ten million zeni." Selling Dr. Gero's immortality techniques would make anyone a fortune...Dragon Balls.... but no, we have to go into domesticity... in a former shounen series.

Look, no one has cared where the money came from for over twenty years, no sense making a story out of it now. Oh right, what was I thinking? This really is as bad of an idea for filler as the guy who can teleport learning to drive...so he can drive his wife around. "Did he forgot he could do that?"

Piccolo's learning to drive was ok because he did that as a challenge. Doesn't have a car, doesn't even have a house but hit his pride, he'll see you at the DMV.

They better get serious soon, there's not a lot they can do for silly fun without looking stupid at this point.

Also, if you're going to add to canon, how about 18 finally making a wish to fix Android 16? No AI back-up, no other options? "Let him rest in pieces, he would have wanted it that way."

Yeah, now that they've fully opened up the chance for new canon development and not just movies... or GT... I'd like to see them actually do something with characters not named Son Goku. You know, they may have wants and lives of their own.

I have a dark suspicion I've put more thought into Super Z right now then the producers have.

And I'd like Captain Ginyu back. Just because. Come on, do it.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
Loving that plotline. Dragon Ball is WAY better with comedy and goofines rather than just "errrg let's gona batturz", that literally killed the Buu Saga for me, Goten and Trunks being childish or Gohan trying to be a Super Hero and a university student pretended too much for what it ended up becoming. In fact, while a lot of battles are great, the best episodes are the ones with Majin Buu and Mr. Satan (or Hercule, whatever you call him) or when the characters just do stupid things for the sake of it (like Vegito) but overall it's a big waste of time between pointless transformations or new techniques.

I remember when I watched the first Broly movie, the fight was really cool and everything, but I also loved Goku in a university interview.

Now, if this doesn't have Piccolo driving Goku to work, the disappointment will be huge.
LaSean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Will Goten and Trunks ever age????!!!!!
Mad

They are the worst thing about the later DBZ movies. They are so annoying and uninteresting. And their voices are aggravating.

I want future trunks back Sad
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
antasad wrote:
I like how the story atmosphere is likely approaching a lighter one than what DBZ has become. More to that joking and messing around side of Akira Toriyama.

Which should be an error. What make DBZ so huge was the seriousness of the story, not the jokes and comedy of Dragon Ball.

A similar approach was taken initially with GT which proved an error before returning to the seriousness. There were some light hearted instances in DBZ as well like the ones described but the comedy should be balanced and kept to a normal to low level just as the original DBZ, this new series should follow the same formula.

The light hearted and super serious portions of GT were equally mediocre.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
antasad wrote:

Well at least, that's just me being optimistic. Still, like I said, to me DB Super doesn't have to follow DBZ or any DB reiteration, if it's something entirely new just with Dragon Ball characters, I'm in.

And I think it HAS to be like DBZ, Why was DBZ as epic as it was? Serious story totally different from light-hearted comedic adventure-story of dragon ball, epic villains, epic battles.

While its ok to combine some comedy here and there, if it will be the forced lame comedy a la Battle of Gods it will be in trouble in no time, sure it was a huge sucess because it was a movie and it was the first animated DB work after so long but the movie helmet by toriyama had just way too much comedy, and lame to boot, vegeta was rendered almost retarded, lame fight as well, lame transformation as well. As huge DBZ fan as I am it was objectively a lame movie and I hope SUPER does not try to follow the same formula with too much forced comedy making beloved characters look as pathetic and lame as poor vegeta in BoG.

It needs to go back to the epicness which is what most will be wishing from more DB that we all came to love, and that was the Z iteration not the formula of the DB one which was good, yes, but DBZ took the series to the spotlight worldwide for a reason.

I much as I love the Z half of DragonBall Z story wise it isn't very strong. Every villain had the same motiivations and the fights depending on which version of them you read/watched could be dragged out longer than they needed to be.

Animegomaniac wrote:

Look, no one has cared where the money came from for over twenty years, no sense making a story out of it now. Oh right, what was I thinking? This really is as bad of an idea for filler as the guy who can teleport learning to drive...so he can drive his wife around. "Did he forgot he could do that?"

You must've also forgot that in order for Goku to teleport he has to actually know where he's teleporting to.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Piccolo's learning to drive was ok because he did that as a challenge. Doesn't have a car, doesn't even have a house but hit his pride, he'll see you at the DMV.

I was under the impression Chi-Chi made him apply for his driving license because Goku was applying for his.
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that Vegeta doesn't have a mustache.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
One thing I have a problem with is the fact that Trunks and Goten seemed to have no age progression at all. Everyone(aside from Goku and Vegeta which was explained) have some sort of age progression except these two. It's like they are stuck in the same time loop Ash Ketchum is in. I really want to se the designs from the end of Z return for them
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
I think trunks and Goten are left ageless for comedy and because the grown up trunks and goten are boring and with basically no charisma.

The lot of you speaking of dragon ball, the comedy and light-hearted story worked there and was natural because the main cast were kids and teenagers, it works.

In Dragon ball Z it would be retarded to have kept the same comedy with grown up superpowerful Z warriors. Some comedy was left as we all know but there is a reason why DBZ was as huge as it was and 100% fact was NOT because of comedy, that is the reason DB Kai is about DBZ, that is why all the re-re-re-re-re-releases are about DBZ! Lets not pretend otherwise just because some of you liked dragon ball better, the entire world knew about DB because of the Z iteration not DB, not that I did not like it, it worked with kid goku, teenager bulma, kid chichi, kid Krilin, pervert roshi, etc.

This is the reason in DBGT goku was reverted back to a kid and pan was the main heroine, to invoke the comedy of dragon ball, otherwise it would be not comedy but stupidity (as retarded as vegeta in battle of gods) and because comedy with the most powerful beings in the universe and thus adult goku dont give room for comedy at all.

So goten and trunks are left ageless for comedy, for the light-hearted episodes in super, just as the summary for the first episode gives away, and because them as kids have too much charisma that adult Goten and adult trunks (the normal time adult trunk, future trunks was good) dont have.

Its proven fact around the world DBGT was much liked once it changed gears to seriousness and Goku sjj4 and the fusions and all that that we all loved from DBZ returned.

This forum seems to have a good quota of people that did not like DBGT but the later half of it proved quite successful with most audiences around the work back in the 90s.

This is the reason why merchandise based on the later half of dragon ball: i.e figures of super saiyan 4 goku, vegeta, are being released till this day, with the latest being goku sjj4 from dragon ball heroes series. Most people around the globe came to love that part of GT and loved SJJ4 transformation.

How will I not know as I witnessed first hand the success back then of this part. Thou the damage was already done with the lame comedy of the first half. So not surprising it was so short and only lived for 60+ eps, it was just too much different from DBZ and there were some people that lacked total perspective of what made DBZ the huge sucess it was, the first half was too much comedy and adventure, HUGE ERROR.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Toriyama is managing to inject his humor into this series. That's what made Battle of Gods a very fun film. With Resurrection F, it looks like Toriyama definitely took heed to what fans were saying of the previous film. Dragon Ball Super will hopefully be a balance between the action and comedy. Too much of either will make the series boring and/or predictable.

Overall, I thought Battle of Gods was amazing while Resurrection F has the action that Western DBZ fans crave for from what I'm hearing. GT wasn't so successful because Toei obviously doesn't understand Toriyama's sensibilities. I encourage DBZ fans to look into the original manga and Toriyama's other series to really appreciate his current work. It really feels like he's come full circle with his current stuff between the Dragon Ball Z films, Jaco, and his collaborations with Masakazu Katsura.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope they go full slice-of-life comedy for this. I mean, there's really not much else they can do, action/adventure-wise, unless they really plan to use all those other universes, and even then, Goku and Vegeta are too powerful at this point for any threat to make for interesting conflict.

Just show everybody screwing around, trying to live daily life with their massive power, or their relation to people with that power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sakura Stardust

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like there will be shenanigans to be had Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2