• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Naruto Filler Arcs You Shouldn't Skip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I've personally never skipped a Naruto filler arc... well, except 313-315, but the rest I have all seen. I think fillers are always nice to have, specially in Naruto because there are actually some characters that get some extra development in filler episodes (*cough*Tenten*cough*) and usually the characters travel to outer nations. It's always nice to see a different part of the world they live in (totally forgot about the Hidden Star Village until I rewatched the series).

I'm not sure which filler arc would be my favorite, but I will agree that Power is one of the best and should be watched by any Naruto fan, it's fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Quote:
This. I've never been so interested in a filler before. I would even defend it and say while it doesn't count as canon-- it's the closest thing to it

I think the fillers are canonical to the anime, though. (As much as I wish this weren't true in certain cases.)

The anime at times contradicted itself when a piece of information was shown in a filler arc, only to have it retconned in later, manga-based episodes, and vice versa.

Examples include (but not limited to) these:
Akatsuki's entry in NarutoWiki
Akatsuki's Trivia section wrote:
In the anime, after the sealing of the Two-Tails, Pain stated there are four tailed beasts remaining. Later in the anime, after the Three-Tails and Four-Tails were sealed (making it two tailed beasts remaining) and Taka joined forces with Akatsuki, Kisame stated there were three tailed beasts remaining. This retcon was put in place to allow a filler arc, featuring the Six-Tails.

Episode #417's entry in NarutoWiki
episode #417's Trivia section wrote:
An inconsistency occurs when Kakashi utilises his Chidori within the flashback. Team Minato did not canonically have knowledge of this technique until their mission to destroy the Kannabi Bridge.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not denying that there are continuity inconsistencies, but plot holes don't necessarily render something non-canon, IMHO. In many cases, this represents sloppy storytelling on the part of the producers and not a conscious attempt at purging something from the timeline. I don't think the fillers and feature films are canonical in the sense that they further the series' overarching story, but I believe that the events contained therein are supposed to have occurred within the anime continuity.

But yeah - the plot holes don't help my argument, and I can totally understand why certain fans regard anime-original stuff as non-canon. Keep in mind that there are varying degrees of canon, and while the fillers and movies might not fall under the category of "strictly canon," I think many of them fit nicely into the "loosely canon" camp. Just my opinion, though.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
This oughta teach people never to skip fillers ever again! Twisted Evil
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
If there is one thing that I have enjoyed about Naruto's fillers, it is the chance to see more of the supporting cast. Shonen series have tendency to accumulate a huge cast, only to barely use many of them going forward. Although, the premise behind some of the early filler arcs bugged me since Tsunade would tell Naruto that whatever mission he was tagging along on might help find Sasuke, and then it turned out to have nothing to do with that. I suppose it annoyed me mostly because it was really obvious that the writers were basically hoping that would be enough to get people to keep watching.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes the power arc was a good choice, and the arc with Raiga was pretty decent as well. What about the Kakashi anbu filler arc though? That was better than the majority of filler arcs we've gotten. Also the very last arc of Part 1 Naruto that evolves around Gaara was also pretty enjoyable too. Plus the final episode of that arc, episode 220, actually has the last bit of canon material from the manga before they do the time skip and then we get Shippuden.

Edit: Not sure why it says my join date is today. I signed up with this account like a month ago.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Power was supposed to be a full-length movie, but they decided to switch it over to the TV format and kinda rush that Road to Ninja movie out the door (hence why one looks way better than the other). The DVD version for Power even has extended scenes because it had to be cut down for TV broadcast.

Interesting. I hadn't heard this before. If I'm not mistaken, Viz's next box set (which drops at the end of the month) includes the Power arc. Have we heard whether or not it'll include this extra footage?
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

Interesting. I hadn't heard this before. If I'm not mistaken, Viz's next box set (which drops at the end of the month) includes the Power arc. Have we heard whether or not it'll include this extra footage?

At first, Viz was releasing the broadcast version of Shippuden for their DVD releases, but at some point they switched over to using the DVD masters, back to broadcast, then back to the DVD masters. I guess it just depends on what they get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It'd be cool if they just released Power in uncut movie form as its own disc.
SakuraYakushi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Why isn't the three tails arc listed? That one is amazing. Dubbed of course. I can't stand the subbed version. Plus, Kabuto gets a lot of screen time. He is one of the best characters. Razz
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
48 Rices wrote:
Though I don't really like the fillers, I know Kurosuki Family / Raiga arc as the arc that shows the non-canon holder of the third 7 swords of the Land of the Mist beside the Kubikiribocho and Samehada. Man, that Kiba sword does give the team problems.

Raiga was made canon he appears in a Gai flashback in chapter 668 and held the Kiba swords before Ameyuri Ringo who first appeared in chapter 522.

Apart from the Power arc which was the sixth shippuden film my favourite fillers are a trio of standalone episodes of shippuden.

Episode 186 - Naruto, Sakura and Ino look for a medicine flower and have to fight a Gaara clone.

Episode 234 - a Konohamaru focused episode were he fights Temari with nice animation.

Episode 285 - Which focuses on very minor manga characters from Kakashi's and Kankuro's squads fighting Edo Tensei's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SakuraYakushi wrote:
Why isn't the three tails arc listed? That one is amazing. Dubbed of course. I can't stand the subbed version. Plus, Kabuto gets a lot of screen time. He is one of the best characters. Razz

Really? it dragged on for ages and is very unpopular on lots of Naruto forums (so not just me Razz )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

braves wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:

At first, Viz was releasing the broadcast version of Shippuden for their DVD releases, but at some point they switched over to using the DVD masters, back to broadcast, then back to the DVD masters. I guess it just depends on what they get.

Well thanks for that info it saves me some money as I won't ever pick up Viz's sets if they use the broadcast version.

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Raiga was made canon he appears in a Gai flashback in chapter 668 and held the Kiba swords before Ameyuri Ringo who first appeared in chapter 522.

Interestingly, this week's anime episode featured this flashback. I actually exclaimed, "Dude, that's Raiga!"
Adv193

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
While I little to no problem watching filler, some of the ones for Naruto were trash due to being pointless, while others were fun to watch even though. Some of my least favorite ones are from the original series are things like the bathhouse one when Naruto and Jiraiya were heading back to Konoha with Tsunade and Shizune, or the one a few episodes later of trying to find the secret of Kakashi's true face behind the mask as well as some of the stand-alone episode following the Sasuke Recovery Mission because of the weak plots. Lastly for the final filler the Sunagakure Support Mission, the final battle of limiting to just using Gaara and limiting Naruto's actions in that fight was weak.

For Shippuden the recent Chunin Exams filler was very badly plotted to the point that making it look like there were no Chunin Exams after what happened last time and using it as excuse to cram together everyone's promotion ranks like that was something I did not like. Other bad ones was Konoha History and Paradise Life on a Boat as it led to some plot holes, poor plots, and unneeded characters like the ostrich. Also the two Mecha-Naruto episodes were really bad.

Most of the other fillers were better like Three Tails, Six Tails Unleashed, the Cursed Warrior Mission, Star Guard Mission, Twelve Guardian Ninja, and Kakashi Anbu arc.
pauladls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I like the fillers but I hate the flashback filler -.-on non filler episodes
amcnulty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
Most of the other fillers were better like Three Tails, Six Tails Unleashed, the Cursed Warrior Mission, Star Guard Mission, Twelve Guardian Ninja, and Kakashi Anbu arc.

These are all some good filler arcs, too! (I know more than one poster has agreed the Kakashi Anbu arc was stellar.) I just feel that the show's pacing sometimes makes it hard to stomach the fillers, especially when they never seem to end, even though there are so many good examples of filler done right!

(The recent chunin exam arc is not one such example...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4