• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Naruto Filler Arcs You Shouldn't Skip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treiz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I never skipped a single episode. Started with the fan subs, made the jump to Crunchyroll as a premium member when they took over, still going week by week.

Personally I never mind the filler. I love shows with big casts and the filler gives some of the other cast members more time to shine. Doesn't bother me at all.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I think in some cases, Amy's assertion is spot-on. In others, I think what Gatherum said holds true. It largely depends on the property and target demo.

Speaking from personal experience, my interest in certain shows has diminished as a result of prolonged hiatuses. For example, I used to be a huge Venture Bros. fan, but now that we only get 8-10 episodes every 3-4 years, it's difficult for me to get as excited about it as I used to. Likewise, I'm not as psyched about the upcoming Sherlock special as I would have been if the show hadn't gone AWOL for a couple years.

While I see and agree with your point, I think there's a difference between a hiatus of three to four years, and one of only one year. I think that even small children would be satisfied with a yearly season, a re-run to pad out that season in case of missed episodes, and a new season to air the following year. What you're describing is different.

Treiz wrote:
Personally I never mind the filler. I love shows with big casts and the filler gives some of the other cast members more time to shine. Doesn't bother me at all.

On the other hand, balancing that cast should be more of a priority. Amy made particular mention of Tenten in this article, and I can agree that the filler arcs are ample opportunity to expand on her, but therein lies the bigger problem: if the filler arcs are the only place we get to see her demonstrated, then why is she necessary to the main narrative in the first place? Her existence pretty much highlights the weakness in Kishimoto's format: there must always be three-man teams led by a senior, and therefore, there must always be four characters. What ends up happening is that a character is created to fill a spot, and not because they have any role to play. Tenten was consistently the most obvious example of this, and stood tallest (or shortest--however you want to look at it) among the female characters if the show whose combat abilities were nearly always under par or under-explored. Konan was the only female I remember having any significant combat prowess relative to her male peers, but even she took a backseat as Nagato's sidekick. It's almost downright insulting, if you ask me.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I see and agree with your point, I think there's a difference between a hiatus of three to four years, and one of only one year. I think that even small children would be satisfied with a yearly season, a re-run to pad out that season in case of missed episodes, and a new season to air the following year. What you're describing is different.

This makes sense, keeping in mind that we're both speaking from the standpoint of people accustomed to Western television production schedules. Even as kids, we understood that our favorite shows took yearly breaks. However, since perpetual new episodes are a staple of popular kid-focused anime, I'm not sure if the target audience would be content with annual hiatuses. Kids have come to expect weekly episodes of shows like Naruto, Detective Conan and Pokemon, and overall quality may not be as big an issue to them as it is to older fans. As bad as certain Naruto filler episodes are, they all tell original stories featuring iconic characters - and for most children, that might be enough.

I would actually be interested to find out how Japanese fans - specifically, viewers in the series' target demo - feel about fillers. I have a feeling they hold them in higher regard than us jaded adults. At the very least, I doubt they spend as much time ruminating over how much they suck.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
Ugh. So many bad memories contained in one article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4